Turn on thread page Beta

How old were you when your parents split / divorced? watch

ReputationRep:
    18. Can't say life has improved, I miss my mum an awful lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History Rocks)
    I was 15 months young.

I think I am better off know because I would never had been able to meet my AMAZING step-dad if my parents didnt split
    Oh I get it. He's amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodybuilder22)
    Oh I get it. He's amazing
    :lolz:

how did i miss that?

ReputationRep:
    5 years old.

Though I can understand why they split (my Mum is an adulterous, wanton woman) I constantly wonder why she chose an anal retentive, stressy whinger over my laid back, groovy Dad. So I suppose it wasn't really for the best, as for the past 6 years I've had to live with not only 'the step-person' but also his son who is obviously out to ruin my life until I escape to Uni!

ReputationRep:
    Im in a pretty weird situation, when I was about twelve my parents "split". But we all still live together, they get on well but are no longer a couple different bedrooms and what not.

ReputationRep:
    Mine divorced when I was 4/5 - cant remember my parents being happy together so yes, better off now.

Stopped seeing Dad at age 7 because he got a new girlfriend who Mum didn't want us around as the g/f was known to be mentally unstable and a well-known easy shag for the local marines. Her 3 children (by different fathers) started being put before my sister and I, lots of other crap went on and it ended in us not wanting to see him anymore. He soon split up with her, but the only effort he made to get back in touch was a message left on the answerphone that i accidentally heard, saying to mum that she got what she wanted and he had split with the girlfriend. He was told by mum's solicitor to phone/write letters etc, but he never bothered, and then 5 years later he remarried and had 2 children, who I've never met.

Much better off not knowing him, and am still guilting him into paying me £150/month since he cashed in savings policies that were meant for our uni educations, worth a good few grand... And now I have a step-dad and another little brother

ReputationRep:
    I was about 4.
    My father was a liar and a cheat.
    He now lives in Australia, re-married with 3 kids I've never met.
    I've never seen a penny from him, neither have I even had a birthday card for 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    16 and I think that's pretty much the worst age not just because it's the age I was, and i'm definately a lot worse of :/

ReputationRep:
    They may split next month when I'll be 17. Not sure, they keep changing their mind. I hope i'll be better off

ReputationRep:
    well this died...

ReputationRep:
    5 and I don't know. I love both my Dad and step-Dad very much, so I think I'd have been fine with either.

ReputationRep:
    I was 19, happend just after this christmas. Its hard to know whether i am better off or not as i am currently away from it all ( being at university). But i do know the rest of my family are better off, in the long run. However in the short term scale of things they are worse off, financially.

It might be abit personal but can everyone add why they parents split, mine split through my dad commiting adultery.

ReputationRep:
    Mine split when I was four. I'm much much better off, and I'm glad I grew up with my stepdad, he's a great guy.

ReputationRep:
    10 and it didn't and still doesn't bother me at all. It does bother my younger siblings though

ReputationRep:
    9 months I think, my father was abusive and I've never met him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    ...and do you think you're now better off?

I'll start - I was 6 and yes
    I was 18.

I've just turned 19.

they split up in april when we found out my dad had been having an affair.
    it's still pretty raw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom the mathematician)
    I was 19, happend just after this christmas. Its hard to know whether i am better off or not as i am currently away from it all ( being at university). But i do know the rest of my family are better off, in the long run. However in the short term scale of things they are worse off, financially.

It might be abit personal but can everyone add why they parents split, mine split through my dad commiting adultery.
    pretty much same as me then.
    except i'm on a gap year. so it's good that i've been here for my mum and better for my application form (single parent :P) but bit concerned about leaving her.

ReputationRep:
    AND i definitely don't think it is always a good thing.
    my parents were pretty happy and we were all v.settled. got on v.well together.
    but when my gran (dad's mum) was diagnosed with cancer n steadily got worse, my dad just turned into a completely different person and started seeing this horrible alcoholic mental woman at christmas. my mum threw him out not knowing what else to do, his mum died. and he broke up with her like a week after her funeral but now they are sort of back together.
    i think he realises how badly he's messed his life up. and yet he can't take it back and my mum would never be able to forgive him.
    i definitely dont think anyone is better off.
    and i think it's often the case that people dont realise what they have til it's gone.
    however, i definitely think my own relationship has improved, my b/f couldn't have been more supportive these last few months. not that i really wanted to have to go through all this just to realise how much he meant to me!

ReputationRep:
    About 4.
    No, because I hate my step-dad.
    Yes, because they're both probably better off for it.
    & I love my step-siblings.
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luce20)
    18, although it should have been when I was about 12. Needless to say, divorce was very ugly, I have dealt with severe depression since it, live with my mother,(who I dispise), and sadly can't live with my dad, as he lives on a boat.

My parents was almost identical although my Dad doesn't live on a boat...
    They were married for 20 years and just as I started A Levels they finally started to face reality, athough they have been deeply unhappy for as long as I can remember.
    The secrets, emotions and upset that were suddenly thrust on me and my little brother was the worst thing about it - parents sholdnt rely on their kids during a time like that no matter what age they are.
    The divorce has been going through for about 3 years now and has been horrible, yet shows no signs of progress. I think we will be beter off for it at some point, but not until there is an actual resolution.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.