The Student Room Group

Fake friends or overthinking?

I am a naturally quiet guy and when people first notice me or see me, they presume I am shy and don't have many friends.

For example, at a university event where I knew nobody, I went up to people to say hello and introduced myself but people generally kept to their friend groups and nobody would approach me. (I was not sad - i'll explain why later)

However, despite me being a naturally quiet person, it is easy for me to make friends and not to brag but I made friends with I guess you could say "Popular" people that tend to be "admired" by others. Of course 'popularity' isn't important I know, but I mean someone that is well known either because of looks, social status etc.

Following on from this, now when I see the same people, they approach me and "initiate" conversations, of course I engage but I don't know if they are only speaking to me because of who they see me with or am I overthinking it?

I don't know if these people coming to me now, wanting to be friends are 'fake' or not.

The reason I was not sad at the uni event is because I am not lonely and I do have great friends, but it is just when meeting new people.

Hope I did not sound too condescending
Reply 1
bump
maybe when they saw you alone, they thought you were a loser so didn't want to be your friend. But now they see you with people, maybe they don't think you're a loser and they remember you saying hi to them before so now they do want to try to be your friend.Or, maybe they're quite socially weak people and are scared of talking to someone new, but now they see you with someone they know, you're not so new anymore so they're not so scared to talk to you.I dont think there's enough information available to tell whether they're fake friends yet.

Quick Reply