Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please need help finding it to remove grease from my cpu computer. Girls could you also help since this stuff goes along with your beauty products e.g. nail varnish?

Preferably shops as i dont want to order online

Thanks a bunch

ReputationRep:
    Just use meths? From camping or hardware shops;

ReputationRep:
    CPU computer?! What do you mean? Also, this has nothing to do with gaming :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think Maplins have it.

You can easily get a bottle of own-brand nail polish remover (main ingredient acetone) from a pharmacy quite cheaply and use that. That's what I did when I was cleaning the thermal compound off my northbridge.

ReputationRep:
    pharmacist?

ReputationRep:
    As someone else said, just buy some nail polish remover - you can buy it in supermarkets - it'll be on the health and beauty aisle.

ReputationRep:
    acetone is not the same as IPA, if you need IPA then you can get if from Maplin or similar stores. The fact that IPA is less volatile is actually quite important for cleaning purposes in electronics.

ReputationRep:
    Nail polish remover sometimes has other stuff in it as well as acetone. You don't want to leave nail-moisturiser residue on your processor!

ReputationRep:
    I use this stuff: http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...odid=OA-001-AK

It's Cheap, big enough to last a lifetime, and best of all it smells fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Costco sell this pack of glasses' wipes that contain Isopropyl alcohol. Best of all is there are 200 wipes that come with it (disposable) that can be used with anything from monitors to glasses to windows.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the suggestions people today i managed to buy some from my pharmacy for £2.79 250ml bottle 70% purity. Hope it works well....

But randomly it was manufactured in Jamaican company called Benjamins
    anyone heard this before 0.o

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it's not a big deal if you've not heard of the company, it's not hard to make IPA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle_S-C)
    I'm sure it's not a big deal if you've not heard of the company, it's not hard to make IPA.
    Care to tell me how you make it?

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you start with, but if you want to start with propene as a simple hydrocarbon, react it with mercury acetate in water and then you get nucleophilic attack of water at the more hindered site followed by addition of a reducing agent such as NaBH4 to get rid of the mercury acetate.

Alternatively you can start from propanone and just add NaBH4. Not sure what they use industrially, since NaBH4 is a bit messy, but I'm sure almost any chemical engineer (and Wikipedia) could tell you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I work in Maplin - we sell Isopropyl Alcohol in stores and online. We also sell proper thermal compund cleaner in store and online!

Personally I just naid polish remover.

ReputationRep:
    i'd recommend Arcticclean for cleaning thermal paste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chernij)
    Costco sell this pack of glasses' wipes that contain Isopropyl alcohol. Best of all is there are 200 wipes that come with it (disposable) that can be used with anything from monitors to glasses to windows.
    I have those wipes, they're absolutely amazing!

ReputationRep:
    I know! They are a brilliant invention!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle_S-C)
    Depends what you start with, but if you want to start with propene as a simple hydrocarbon, react it with mercury acetate in water and then you get nucleophilic attack of water at the more hindered site followed by addition of a reducing agent such as NaBH4 to get rid of the mercury acetate.

Alternatively you can start from propanone and just add NaBH4. Not sure what they use industrially, since NaBH4 is a bit messy, but I'm sure almost any chemical engineer (and Wikipedia) could tell you.
    I'm sure everyone's got that in their cupboards at home...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.