Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have an infection on my big toe next to the nail (Started in the healing process of my ingrowing nail I had in December), and will be seeing a chiropodist.

Obviously the most important thing is to proactively stop the nail growing. I've heard that phenolisation - using iodine on the nail bed - or scraping the bone can tackle this.

I'm 100% against bone scraping because it can hurt and cause bone infection. Anyone here got more details? Does phenolisation hurt? I've had ingrown toenails so many times but never phenolisation.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    http://www.abimelec.com/dermatologis...olization.html

ReputationRep:
    No it doesn't hurt. They just rub some phenol into the newly created hole where your toenail was. But if they are overzealous with the phenol rubbing it can cause burning and irritation around your toe.

ReputationRep:
    I had phenolisation twice. Once on my left big toenail and then a year or so later on the right one.
    I can't recommend it enough, as it really does solve the problem.
    Obviously, it does take a while for the tow to re-grow and look nice and non-bruised but in the long run the procedure is really worth it.
    After the op they recommend you rest off your feet for 5 days, and you will have to take time to bathe and dress the said toe correctly every day.

The first time I had the procedure it did hurt alot, but it was because despite being injected 5 times with local anesthetic I could still feel everything (the person doing the op was a trainee and wasnt great at the job).
    The second time, was absolutely pain free.

The most painful parts of the procedure are definatly the injections as its weird having so much fluid in one part of the body, and also the anesthetic wearing off is very tingly.

If you have any questions then go right ahead, as I can remember most things about the procedure.

ReputationRep:
    I've had phenolisation on my left big toe. Luckily, the trainee in the room in mine was only watching what the qualified one was doing. I had quite a good time actually. The nurses were really nice and they were talking to me a lot because they could see my heart was pounding! haha.
    One of them even said she liked my aftershave.
    The whole re-dressing of the toe and stuff is a bit of a bugger because you get bored of it, but it does work (i had mine done just over a year ago now, and the toe now looks normal and i have no problems with it)

Same as above, any questions, I'm free

ReputationRep:
    I've felt the burning and irritation sensation through various injuries/treatments so I can live with this. Anyway, this is something which can be handled by painkillers.

Obviously, it does take a while for the tow to re-grow and look nice and non-bruised but in the long run the procedure is really worth it.
    I thought the purpose of phenolisation was to kill the nailbed to therefore prevent growth of the nail altogether?

At the max, I've had 4 anesthetics - 2 on each side of the offending toe. I can feel the extra weight of the toe but that is all.

ReputationRep:
    Oh man I cant read this thread without feeling ill the spongy raw bit underneath nails freaks me out!

ReputationRep:
    I thought the purpose of phenolisation was to kill the nailbed to therefore prevent growth of the nail altogether?
    They very rarely apply phenol to the whole of the nail bed, only part of it, so that a small part of the nail bed won't grow back so it can't ingrow again.

ReputationRep:
    If I remove the entire nail, where would it be applied?

In a pic in the above link it looks as if the chemical is put right into the inside of the toe. Looks frightening.

The other problem is that prescription medicine hasn't shaken off my fungal infection and my nail is discoloured (dry blood underneath) so I guess complete nail removal is the best way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Blade-)
    If I remove the entire nail, where would it be applied?

In a pic in the above link it looks as if the chemical is put right into the inside of the toe. Looks frightening.

The other problem is that prescription medicine hasn't shaken off my fungal infection and my nail is discoloured (dry blood underneath) so I guess complete nail removal is the best way.
    Did you mean if THEY remove the entire nail? I hope you're not doing it yourself!!

I'm no expert but probably at the base of the toenail they'd put the phenol.

And with my partial nail avulsion (chopping off a slice of the nail and then phenolising), they sort of put what looked like a small wooden pick down the side of the nail to get to the bed. So I don't think it was actually inside the toe.

And the blood could have actually only come from part of the underlying skin and then just seeped over the toe so I'm not sure about that. They might prescribe some stronger stuff (they did that first to mine - i had an ointment thing, then a proper stronger cream).

I'm guessing it might be pretty painful?

ReputationRep:
    I had this done (partial nail avulsion) It didn't hurt at all really compared to the pain of the toe itself. Didn't work though - they ended up removing a nice big chunk of my toe, so now it looks deformed. Stiches and stuff - not nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Blade-)
    Hi,

I have an infection on my big toe next to the nail (Started in the healing process of my ingrowing nail I had in December), and will be seeing a chiropodist.

Obviously the most important thing is to proactively stop the nail growing. I've heard that phenolisation - using iodine on the nail bed - or scraping the bone can tackle this.

I'm 100% against bone scraping because it can hurt and cause bone infection. Anyone here got more details? Does phenolisation hurt? I've had ingrown toenails so many times but never phenolisation.

Thanks
    I'm just going to start by saying that I don't understand the big long word and didn't look it up

Anyway, I had ingrown toenails when I was younger and was referred to a podiatrist to get these fixed. It was a process by which there are injections into the toe, and then the nail cut right down on either side. I remember it stinging, and really hurting, and then hurting for a while after. They've been fine ever since although I have a slight feeling that the swelling never went down properly.

Not sure if that was phenolisation or not, but it works, although hurts bigtime! Probably better than recurrent ingrown toenails though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.