Boksr
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
How does it compare to universities such as York, Nottingham, Newcastle, Aberdeen and Strathclyde?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Boksr)
How does it compare to universities such as York, Nottingham, Newcastle, Aberdeen and Strathclyde?
I doubt anyone could say unless they had gone to all of the above unis but I can confirm that Lancaster is definitely cheap as regards accommodation costs etc compared to unis in the South.

Scotland may be cheaper I don't know, but I believe their courses are 4 years not 3 so that's extra cost :dontknow:
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Boksr)
Hello,
I can't compare directly but I'll give you some figures so you can compare!
Where will you be travelling from?
Lancaster is in the North-West so will be quite cheap for the UK. It will definitely be cheaper than York (York is known for being an expensive city) and cheaper than Nottingham (the more north you go the cheaper). It's a small city so I imagine cheaper than Newcastle and Strathclyde - but it would be best to check.
Rents on campus cost about £130-150 per week for ensuite which (other than studios) is the most expensive type of accommodation. Rents in town cost about £80-100 per week and usually includes all bills. Train travel tends to be very affordable as well, and student bus passes help you to save a lot of money.
We have a Sainsbury's in the town as well as a Lidl and soon an Aldi but you can get food deliveries from ASDA and Tesco as well. Restaurants and pubs tend to be very affordable and student discounts are accepted pretty much everywhere as it's a student heavy town.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Boksr
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hello,
I can't compare directly but I'll give you some figures so you can compare!
Where will you be travelling from?
Lancaster is in the North-West so will be quite cheap for the UK. It will definitely be cheaper than York (York is known for being an expensive city) and cheaper than Nottingham (the more north you go the cheaper). It's a small city so I imagine cheaper than Newcastle and Strathclyde - but it would be best to check.
Rents on campus cost about £130-150 per week for ensuite which (other than studios) is the most expensive type of accommodation. Rents in town cost about £80-100 per week and usually includes all bills. Train travel tends to be very affordable as well, and student bus passes help you to save a lot of money.
We have a Sainsbury's in the town as well as a Lidl and soon an Aldi but you can get food deliveries from ASDA and Tesco as well. Restaurants and pubs tend to be very affordable and student discounts are accepted pretty much everywhere as it's a student heavy town.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Wow! Thank you so much for the information!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.02%
They've been reasonable (70)
40.94%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.73%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)
26.32%

Watched Threads