The Student Room Group

Focus on Science or History

Basically I did crap on my pre mocks getting my lowest marks ever.

I've decided to fist focus on Maths and English (3 subjects) and have wanted to do science for my goal of psychology but seeing as Maths and Science are my weakest subjects should I just drop revising for Science and focus on History?

I could risk trying to do better in Science but it would be at the expense of History.

The other subjects i've put on the back burner for now as I want to focus on 5 strong passes.

What would you do with only four months left, what would you prioritise - a subject you are weak in such as science but that could open the door to the career you want

-forget science and go for the safer grade of history

Thoughts?
You should be able to do well on both - it's a question of revising efficiently and doing the topics you find most difficult first. Science is relatively each to improve on, as it's a question of understanding and being able to answer the questions well rather than understanding and explanation like it is for history. If I were you, I'd use practice questions and research to improve science, but the incorporate history into your day-to-day as well as having dedicated study sessions - if you learn 5 dates every morning on your way to school, for example, they do accumulate. For a level history I have a timeline who one of my topics as every day I'm learning 20 dates by reading through the section I'm learning, writing down everything I remember on a whiteboard, correcting my answers, redoing until I can write it down perfectly, and redoing it just before I go to bed to make sure that I know them. It probably takes 20 minutes in total, but it's really worth it, and it means that I can use actual study sessions for that topic to learn facts surrounding those dates, and for practice questions. SO in short, it is possible to do both, but for now prioritise study sessions in science a little more, but learn some history every day.
Reply 2
Original post by redmeercat
You should be able to do well on both - it's a question of revising efficiently and doing the topics you find most difficult first. Science is relatively each to improve on, as it's a question of understanding and being able to answer the questions well rather than understanding and explanation like it is for history. If I were you, I'd use practice questions and research to improve science, but the incorporate history into your day-to-day as well as having dedicated study sessions - if you learn 5 dates every morning on your way to school, for example, they do accumulate. For a level history I have a timeline who one of my topics as every day I'm learning 20 dates by reading through the section I'm learning, writing down everything I remember on a whiteboard, correcting my answers, redoing until I can write it down perfectly, and redoing it just before I go to bed to make sure that I know them. It probably takes 20 minutes in total, but it's really worth it, and it means that I can use actual study sessions for that topic to learn facts surrounding those dates, and for practice questions. SO in short, it is possible to do both, but for now prioritise study sessions in science a little more, but learn some history every day.

Thank you so much thats really helpful as i would like to do well in both but I really feel torn.

For me science is hard with so many things to remember and so is history, so I'm going to try follow your advice on the doing bits of history each day/

So you think it's possible for me to focus on 5 subjects in four months? Bear in mind I am so weak in science and maths rn.

Appreciate your advice so much thank you.
Original post by lost.soul
Thank you so much thats really helpful as i would like to do well in both but I really feel torn.

For me science is hard with so many things to remember and so is history, so I'm going to try follow your advice on the doing bits of history each day/

So you think it's possible for me to focus on 5 subjects in four months? Bear in mind I am so weak in science and maths rn.

4 months is plenty of time to improve, I would recommend doing lots of practice for maths and science (physics and maths tutor has loads of questions for science that I find really helpful), for science if there is something you don’t understand I would recommend watching freescience lessons on YouTube as he is really concise and easy to understand. For maths just do loads of practice and make sure you know how to solve different styles of questions good luck 😊
Reply 4
Original post by Emily~3695
4 months is plenty of time to improve, I would recommend doing lots of practice for maths and science (physics and maths tutor has loads of questions for science that I find really helpful), for science if there is something you don’t understand I would recommend watching freescience lessons on YouTube as he is really concise and easy to understand. For maths just do loads of practice and make sure you know how to solve different styles of questions good luck 😊

Thanks for the vote of confidence and the resources, I'll look them up xx

In my science mocks I got 6s, in the real thing I got 9s. At the end of year 10 I was worried about passing at all. There is no limit to your potential as long as you work dilligently and efficiently, but also remember to look after your mental health! Start now with the topics you find hardest and imagine that every revision session you're gaining another mark on your exam paper for every difficult thing you find a way to learn and understand. Remember to also do some work on your other subejcts, thoguh, as people are often surprised by how the amount/ quality of work they do for a subject makes much more difference than how difficult they found it to start with. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by redmeercat
In my science mocks I got 6s, in the real thing I got 9s. At the end of year 10 I was worried about passing at all. There is no limit to your potential as long as you work dilligently and efficiently, but also remember to look after your mental health! Start now with the topics you find hardest and imagine that every revision session you're gaining another mark on your exam paper for every difficult thing you find a way to learn and understand. Remember to also do some work on your other subejcts, thoguh, as people are often surprised by how the am=ount/ quality of work they do for a subject makes much more difference than how difficult they found it to start with. :smile:

Thanks for sharing your experience it really does give me hope to turn things around and for the tips too, the imagining the extra marks will motivate me
Thanks for sharing your experience it really does give me hope to turn things around and for the tips too, the imagining the extra marks will motivate me

No problem, you can do it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest