The Student Room Group

A Level options for English Lit degree

I'm in Year 11 and almost certain I want to study English Literature at university. Are these A Levels alright?:

-English Literature
-German
-Biology

I've looked at the Russell Group's Informed Choices website, but there's not a third subject from the recommended list for English that I could take, either because I didn't take it at GCSE or my school doesn't offer it.

Would I be better off sacrificing a better grade in Biology (as an indication, I got a 9 in my November mock a few weeks ago) for an essay subject? The likely contenders are RE and Sociology, neither of which are on the Informed Choices list for Eng Lit so I do wonder if it would make any difference.
Reply 1
I believe history is important to take with English literature as well. You’ll be studying lots of context in the books you read, and you’ll have a greater understanding of the social, economic and political contexts and environments of the books you’ll read. It’s also lots of reading sources and essay writing which complements English literature.

But then again, the only compulsory subject is English literature itself. German and Biology are equally respectable and you can’t go wrong with them, but have you considered history? :smile: but at the end of the day, do what subjects you enjoy the most and think you can achieve higher grades in
(edited 4 years ago)
If you love Biology I would say 100% go with Biology as especially for a third subject, the grade you get is often more important than how much it relates to your degree subject. As well as this, I do three essay subjects and it does get tiring. Therefore Biology can be a good way to do something different and it will help you put more energy into essays for other subjects.
German is also really good because as a language it compliments English itself. It's also a slightly unusual A Level so can set you apart from others.
I think the key thing is to do the subjects you love and this will help you get the best grades possible to get into whatever uni you want to go to.
RE and sociology are good with English as well but I think honestly it'd be better to pick your favourite subjects and then use some of your free time to do wider reading around English Lit (this will help with UCAS massively) Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Deggs_14
I believe history is important to take with English literature as well. You’ll be studying lots of context in the books you read, and you’ll have a greater understanding of the social, economic and political contexts and environments of the books you’ll read. It’s also lots of reading sources and essay writing which complements English literature.

But then again, the only compulsory subject is English literature itself. German and Biology are equally respectable and you can’t go wrong with them, but have you considered history? :smile: but at the end of the day, do what subjects you enjoy the most and think you can achieve higher grades in

Thank you so much!!! I actually can't take History because I didn't take it at GCSE, though :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by jennifugh
If you love Biology I would say 100% go with Biology as especially for a third subject, the grade you get is often more important than how much it relates to your degree subject. As well as this, I do three essay subjects and it does get tiring. Therefore Biology can be a good way to do something different and it will help you put more energy into essays for other subjects.
German is also really good because as a language it compliments English itself. It's also a slightly unusual A Level so can set you apart from others.
I think the key thing is to do the subjects you love and this will help you get the best grades possible to get into whatever uni you want to go to.
RE and sociology are good with English as well but I think honestly it'd be better to pick your favourite subjects and then use some of your free time to do wider reading around English Lit (this will help with UCAS massively) Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you! Good luck with your A Levels, by the way :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest