'The Peaky Bloggers' A GCSEs 2020 GYG journey Watch

Poll: 'Being Asked' A GCSEs 2020 GYG journey
I like this new title! :) (9)
100%
This is bad the old one was worse, fix up. (0)
0%
TakeALittleWalk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Tuesday 24/12/2019 (Evening)

Need to finish those required practicals flashcards for biology and physics.

Should take two hours from now.
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
My elbows are actually in pain from just being against the table while I've been typing...
In other news, I've finished all ten sets of flashcards for Biology's practicals! Only Physics remaining.

Physics looks long. Very long.
Ineedtostudy4002
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is actually really interesting! And motivating, what's your Quizlet username?
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ineedtostudy4002)
This is actually really interesting! And motivating, what's your Quizlet username?
Hi! I've DMed you my username, however I'd advise to anybody reading that you go on physicsandmathstutor yourself and copy those flashcards onto quizlet. I've always found that making flashcards yourself is more effective, and it sticks in your head better.

As for my flashcards, physics should be done and over with soon!
I'll plan tomorrow's workload in an hour or so.
big-L
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
how do you motivate yourself? i haven't revised at all so far, i honestly get so tired of it
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
(Original post by big-L)
how do you motivate yourself? i haven't revised at all so far, i honestly get so tired of it
Tell you what after I've finished these flashcards, I'll show you my 'Reasons to keep going' poster- made it this morning and been saving it to post for hours now! It's nothing special; cheesy but eh.
Stxdent
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Through personal experience I wouldn’t take psychology as well as bio, Chem and maths. Only because you only need them three so you might as well focus on them. Psychology is hard and unis don’t really look at a fourth A-level if you achieve the required grades.
big-L
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TakeALittleWalk)
Tell you what after I've finished these flashcards, I'll show you my 'Reasons to keep going' poster- made it this morning and been saving it to post for hours now! It's nothing special; cheesy but eh.
i know it's all worth it in the end but what kind of revision do you do?
i use quizlet and generally write notes but i get bored instantly
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stxdent)
Through personal experience I wouldn’t take psychology as well as bio, Chem and maths. Only because you only need them three so you might as well focus on them. Psychology is hard and unis don’t really look at a fourth A-level if you achieve the required grades.
Thanks a lot for this. Psychology is a sticky one for me; some reasons why I've considered it despite mixed advice is because apparently it's covered during medicine and 'easy' for some. In terms of usefulness, would you say Further Maths as an A level would be beneficial?

(Original post by big-L)
i know it's all worth it in the end but what kind of revision do you do?
i use quizlet and generally write notes but i get bored instantly
Ah k.
So I'm basically in the same boat as you trying to find less boring ways to revise but the best way by far to my knowledge and from experience: is YouTube.
Basically freesciencelessons (Shawn Donnelly, the GOAT) is great in terms of keeping you engaged seeing as it's not a fat textbook.
Mathswatch and past papers made me the maths whizz I am today; literally the least boring way is that, but the satisfaction that comes with solving a 5/6 marker is oooo
Notes, for me (which could seem quite controversial) are practically unnecessary at this point in time, especially at GCSE level. I'm not lying; I literally despise the idea of writing notes when you've got all the information given to you on a video or a book. For stuff like History and English I've barely started anything at all, but I've been told to do timelines (history only btw) and exam practice. Exam practice is far less boring.
So yeah! Essentially:
Watch videos, find youtubers.
(Have to add, if it's a humanities subject, it's essays)
Quizlet is a bit dead still but as soon as you engage in orally testing yourself, or getting somebody you know to test you it gets a bit less boring.
I know this last one's very generic and cheesy but when you do get bored, ask yourself if the revision technique is going to last you till the exam. I found myself doing a Mind Map for Required Practical 1 of Biology: Microscopy this morning and it just wasn't working - Quizlet seems to be so much more permanent than any notes I've ever made; I'm not going to dump them etc.
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
It also might help in saying that the other day, a friend of mine who got all 9s (Even in Art, like, not a 6, a 9?!) told me 'motivation is a joke just sit down and study.'
I can see where he was coming from in the sense that he's very talented in some respects, but honestly, he could be partially right in saying even the slightest demotivation can make you give up; sometimes you should just push ahead for the sake of it and forget about giving up.

Then again like all 9s takes consistency and consistently studying different subjects, even the ones you hate, takes motivation so...
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks a lot for this. Psychology is a sticky one for me; some reasons why I've considered it despite mixed advice is because apparently it's covered during medicine and 'easy' for some. In terms of usefulness, would you say Further Maths as an A level would be beneficial?
further maths is honestly pointless as a 4th A level for medicine. The only reason I'd say anyone with aspirations to be a doctor should take it is if they are obsessed with maths and are pretty good at it/ find it fun or aren't yet totally sure they want to be a doctor and might want to do something mathsy. 4 a levels isn't even necessary because unis are only going to look at 3. If you aren't all that keen on maths/ further maths but still want to/have to do 4 a levels, I'd say that you should do psych as the 4th and then drop either psych or maths depending on which you are worse at/like the least at some point in the first term.

Ah k.
So I'm basically in the same boat as you trying to find less boring ways to revise but the best way by far to my knowledge and from experience: is YouTube.
Basically freesciencelessons (Shawn Donnelly, the GOAT) is great in terms of keeping you engaged seeing as it's not a fat textbook.
Mathswatch and past papers made me the maths whizz I am today; literally the least boring way is that, but the satisfaction that comes with solving a 5/6 marker is oooo
Notes, for me (which could seem quite controversial) are practically unnecessary at this point in time, especially at GCSE level. I'm not lying; I literally despise the idea of writing notes when you've got all the information given to you on a video or a book. For stuff like History and English I've barely started anything at all, but I've been told to do timelines (history only btw) and exam practice. Exam practice is far less boring.
So yeah! Essentially:
Watch videos, find youtubers.
(Have to add, if it's a humanities subject, it's essays)
Quizlet is a bit dead still but as soon as you engage in orally testing yourself, or getting somebody you know to test you it gets a bit less boring.
I know this last one's very generic and cheesy but when you do get bored, ask yourself if the revision technique is going to last you till the exam. I found myself doing a Mind Map for Required Practical 1 of Biology: Microscopy this morning and it just wasn't working - Quizlet seems to be so much more permanent than any notes I've ever made; I'm not going to dump them etc.

Honestly... notes are so pointless. I remember at the beginning of year 10 when I was like I'd make notes for everything. Now my class books are redundant and the only "notes" I have are mindmaps for the English poems and a bunch of flashcards :yep:

Mindmaps for bio are honestly a lost cause. They take so much time and there is so much info to cover. It is way easie to learn the CGP revision guide and do exam practice... which imo is the only way to go :lol:

It also might help in saying that the other day, a friend of mine who got all 9s (Even in Art, like, not a 6, a 9?!) told me 'motivation is a joke just sit down and study.'
I can see where he was coming from in the sense that he's very talented in some respects, but honestly, he could be partially right in saying even the slightest demotivation can make you give up; sometimes you should just push ahead for the sake of it and forget about giving up.

Then again like all 9s takes consistency and consistently studying different subjects, even the ones you hate, takes motivation so...
Your friend is kind of right. Motivation can only get you so far. What we need is perseverance, cos I could wake up one day and not be bothered to do any work but it won't be motivation that gets you working but rather perseverance. Determination is also important :yep: (and having an end goal... motivation :facepalm:)
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Haha thanks Mia, 100% agreed! So much for a Christmas holiday though eh (Perserverance = Netflix's bane)

It seems, over a two day period, I've:
- Read through content for all three sciences
- Made required practical flashcards for all three sciences
- Said all three sciences three times
- Made a lovely Motivational poster oooo and yes/no it was/wasn't a waste of time (Will post tomorrow morning so as to tease those few readers. And be honest, it's not going to motivate you now, it's 11pm you need that stuff in the morning)

Targets for tomorrow for those few readers
- Freesciencelessons: Chemistry. It's the easiest one so getting it over and done with will be convenient.
- Potentially start physics too if I have the time.
- Post something entertaining or personal seeing as Shawn can only keep me occupied for so long

It's been a productive day!
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Haha thanks Mia, 100% agreed! So much for a Christmas holiday though eh (Perserverance = Netflix's bane)

It seems, over a two day period, I've:
- Read through content for all three sciences
- Made required practical flashcards for all three sciences
- Said all three sciences three times
- Made a lovely Motivational poster oooo and yes/no it was/wasn't a waste of time (Will post tomorrow morning so as to tease those few readers. And be honest, it's not going to motivate you now, it's 11pm you need that stuff in the morning)

Targets for tomorrow for those few readers
- Freesciencelessons: Chemistry. It's the easiest one so getting it over and done with will be convenient.
- Potentially start physics too if I have the time.
- Post something entertaining or personal seeing as Shawn can only keep me occupied for so long

It's been a productive day!
Ah forgot to add, if you want to be tagged let me know from tomorrow onwards!
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Name:  3D7BCCCD-B18B-4266-8687-4B13B4E7E1C3.jpg.jpeg
Views: 34
Size:  46.9 KB

Wednesday 25/12/2019

Good morning and Merry Christmas to you all! I wish you all great successes and achievements, but most importantly really cool presents like a peaky blinders cap etc.

Here’s that poster from yesterday; think of it as a...gift?
As for today’s plans, as much as I’d like to chill out:

Freesciencelessons my way through Chemistry!
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Name:  279409C9-1F7A-42F9-8CE5-CCF80BD7E8ED.jpg.jpeg
Views: 36
Size:  33.7 KB

Pointing = enthusiasm
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Name:  404A9711-DB9C-45D9-A931-E1841CC89E66.jpg.jpeg
Views: 31
Size:  27.5 KB

I’ve decided, in order to keep myself motivated, I should take 5 minute breaks between playlists.

At the moment I’m almost done with Atomic Structure
Last edited by TakeALittleWalk; 1 month ago
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
I’ll just set a timer or something on my phone rather than looking at my watch, that’s how risky my loss of focus is haha.
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
That's topic 1 of Chemistry done and over with!

If I seem confident enough with the paper 1 playlists, I might just do a paper to see what I'm missing.
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Name:  C3DBB7ED-E545-4347-AA5D-157DA4C03219.jpg.jpeg
Views: 40
Size:  40.4 KB

Um.

It was the Grinch?
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Name:  80B1CCD8-18E9-4C79-93B0-E1AEBB2B70C7.jpg.jpeg
Views: 36
Size:  23.9 KB

Look at that smirk he’s making me feel guilty.

Update:

Topic 2: Bonding and Structure is finished!
Last edited by TakeALittleWalk; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (197)
67.93%
No (93)
32.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed