'The Peaky Bloggers' A GCSEs 2020 GYG journey Watch

Poll: 'Being Asked' A GCSEs 2020 GYG journey
I like this new title! :) (9)
100%
This is bad the old one was worse, fix up. (0)
0%
TakeALittleWalk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Name:  918B8076-B0F8-4C68-A445-B6B5D5A23A68.jpg.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  27.4 KB

A far more realistic list!

Can’t believe that annoyed me so much. Just goes to prove that pressure isn’t a good thing; no idea what I was thinking.

In that sense I’ve learned something new! I thank this blog for further teaching me about my capacity.

Time to do all this then...
Last edited by TakeALittleWalk; 1 month ago
Study2212
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Make sure you take breaks in between each activity to get a more effective result! You're doing great!
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Thanks Study2212, my Day 1!

Readers, I've wiped my To-Do list, not because I've finished but because the workload was a heap. Outlined earlier, I've learned something new.

However, I've concluded that from tomorrow onwards I will better manage my sciences. Posted below is tomorrow's To-Do List, and I assure you all, I will stick to it:
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Name:  86264429-7679-4C9D-A338-9BC876D06492.jpg.jpeg
Views: 21
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
It's a longer to-do list, but at least this time I won't be doing sciences all day.

Thursday 26/12/2019 (Night)

Right so today was the most important day in terms of pushing myself to the limit. It showed me how incapable I was of being overloaded with tasks and not taking breaks. However the intensity wasn't necessarily the problem, it was more the idea that subjects were kept restricted. Just focusing on sciences means slacking in other subjects so clearly it wasn't going to go far. I'm excited for the English essay planned for tomorrow as I find contextual knowledge is my forte! The science topics will basically be corrected using the mark scheme which won't take any longer than a few minutes, creating hours of time for French and other subjects!

I've maintained resilience throughout this blogging period and hope to do so despite pebbles like bad productivity or frustration getting in the way! Tomorrow albeit I'll be studying a new person!

(Original post by SlightlySummer)
Wow, I must say I admire your motivation and your productivity! Your gyg seems so interesting, defo keep me tagged please and InshaAllah we all get straight 9s this year
Inshallah إِنْ شَاءَ ٱللّٰهُ‎
With the exception of art. At this point I don't even pray to do well in it.

Signing off by order of the Peaky Blinders!

Tags!

emilynxlan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TakeALittleWalk)
Dancing Queen of Year 14 I understand completely. Want to be tagged?

Readers, I've just had lunch and am back to work. Hopefully in an hour or so, I'll take a break for tea and post something new!
Hell yeah!
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Tolgarda

Seems my fingers slipped and I've tagged you into my blog haha!

But desperate times call for desperate measures, I've read through some of your stuff on the edexcel English Lit exams and honestly it's gold dust. I was wondering if you had any advice for a student struggling to revise for English Lit over the holidays?

I'm doing R&J/Inspector Calls and Conflict/J&H

I understand there's plenty on your posts but I'm fine in terms of exam technique; it's more getting content like poetry context, literary text quotes, poetry comparisons, etc. into my head that I'm worried about. Like, how do you prepare for comparison questions? How do you prepare for questions on themes or characters presented? They're generic questions but I get so much mixed advice like 'plan an essay for every possible question' or 'memorise quotes and contextual points'.

Language, form and structure points aren't difficult in all honesty, but it's actually learning/revising for English I'm struggling with. So to put it plainly, how should I revise? What did you do to revise for poetry and the texts?

To add, I've just finished my mocks and English Lit did go quite well. It was solely inclusive of Romeo And Juliet (a & b) in which I used the only 4 quotes I'd memorised seconds prior for the b part. 'O Brawling Love' Brawling links to the the idea of masculinity...etc.
Again, apologies for the tag if it means inconvenience!

No more tags for tonight, readers, I hope you're asleep and if not and you're reading this:

ellaswords
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi! could you tag me please? 😊
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there!

Nice to see that I can be of some assistance over the holidays. You're doing the exact same texts that I studied, which is pretty awesome, and you can actually see what I wrote in the exams on my 'exemplar answers' thread.

You want specific advice? Well, I'll try and give you as much as I can remember. (I'm in a stuffy car on the motorway and typing on a very small screen haha).

With Romeo and Juliet, I had pinpointed a few crucial scenes in the play that had covered core themes for part (b) (e.g. the ending, Tybalt's death etc.). When it came to part (b), I used a certain tactic that I thought worked quite well. I mentioned two examples of a certain thems in the opening paragraph (e.g. 'I know that the theme of love is present in...and..., but I feel as though...is a moment that is crucial to the establishment to it, and I shall proceed to justify this claim', or somerhing along those lines). This can also be done for 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde'. I depended upon my close-reading skills for part (a), which were, for the most part, sufficient to score highly there.

I was quite confident with my 19th-century text and 'An Inspector Calls'. These texts had resonated with me for some reason, so I naturally just retained a lot of information about them.

Poetry, however, was a different story. What I recommend is learning around five poems that cover all of the possible themes within the cluster. Remember two or three context points about them as well as quotes so that it can all be used for comparison. You shouldn't have to remember any analysis. If your AO2 is as good as you proclaim, you should be able to write extempore. The same goes for unseen poetry. I was stupid. I revised one poem in reasonable depth, but I was able to use it in the exam. I wouldn't ever take that gamble again.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 1 month ago
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Attachment 869076
I would lose my mind just by looking at the amount of those books before they were even opened. However reading through your posts you got the motivation so you can pull it off
Last edited by The RAR; 1 month ago
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Name:  192B943D-4F26-4AC0-A92C-E46877FC592F.jpg.jpeg
Views: 34
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Friday 27/12/2019

Good morning!
'Tis Friday, Jummu'ah!

I've got plenty to do today. Tolgarda you've helped me tremendously, I particularly liked this structure 'I know that the theme of love is present in...and..., but I feel as though...is a moment that is crucial to the establishment to it, and I shall proceed to justify this claim' and it'd be a lie to say I won't overuse it. Would you mind, and I understand this is a big ask, marking some of my essays completed over the holiday? I'm doing a few part Bs for R&J, then I'll start on the 40 markers for the literary texts after rereading them and going through guides.

(Original post by The RAR)
I would lose my mind just by looking at the amount of those books before they were even opened. However reading through your posts you got the motivation so you can pull it off
Much appreciated! If you'd like you can join the tag list so as to further hinder my demotivation. And who's to say I haven't lost my mind?

(Original post by ellaswords)
hi! could you tag me please? 😊
Of course!
I'll start working at around 2:15pm today readers, (see To-Do list above) but that won't be much of a problem seeing as I can stay up for as long as I like on Fridays!
Rest up or get to work, enjoy your morning(s)!
Let's not have a breakdown like yesterday *woop*

The Shelby Company Ltd.

Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Friday 27/12/2019

Good morning!
'Tis Friday, Jummu'ah!

I've got plenty to do today. Tolgarda you've helped me tremendously, I particularly liked this structure 'I know that the theme of love is present in...and..., but I feel as though...is a moment that is crucial to the establishment to it, and I shall proceed to justify this claim' and it'd be a lie to say I won't overuse it. Would you mind, and I understand this is a big ask, marking some of my essays completed over the holiday? I'm doing a few part Bs for R&J, then I'll start on the 40 markers for the literary texts after rereading them and going through guides.
I personally wouldn't recommend guides. I think developing a strong set of close-reading-analysis skills that you can be confident saves time as you don't have to read the guides, but also helps you when using these things at crucial moments like in part (a) answers or the reading section of English language.

Also, I think I should say that the shortcut structure that I recommended is best used as a last resort. I rarely used it (my part (b) for 'Romeo and Juliet' in the real exam was the second time I ever used it, and I was quite nervous). That being said, it's just my opinion, and I can't decide on what you can and can't do.

Finally, I'd be happy to mark your essays; you just have to send them to me via PM. It'll give me a sense of purpose during the dullest times of this holiday's remainder.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 1 month ago
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Tolgarda

That’s great to hear! I’m doing a PartB on the presentation of Romeo later on today so you have that to look forward to I guess.

Readers, let the grinding begin, I’ve yet again altered my To-Do list so as to ensure I get the content embedded into my head before doing exam practice:

Name:  2DCEA861-2703-4187-A071-49516328A6EF.jpg.jpeg
Views: 33
Size:  25.1 KB

But all in all this should be a relatively quick period in which I brush over missing info in Biology and go through Topic 1 of Physics.
A better update worthy of tags will be posted soon haha!
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Name:  A8A7E6BB-105F-41E3-A6AC-53EFA97F5575.jpg.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  23.7 KB

Topic 1 videos for each science complete! I’ll take a break till quarter to, before starting on the rest.
yourmuddagyal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hello !

just wanted to say i been reading your GYG and you really now have me all prompted to start revising as GCSEs are right around the corner. I have faith in you that you WILL get your top grades, and i wish all the luck for it too! I will keep reading these
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
(Original post by yourmuddagyal)
hello !

just wanted to say i been reading your GYG and you really now have me all prompted to start revising as GCSEs are right around the corner. I have faith in you that you WILL get your top grades, and i wish all the luck for it too! I will keep reading these
That's amazing! Brilliant to know I've been a help. Let me know if you'd like to be tagged.
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Introducing Science Saturdays from tomorrow onwards! It'll ensure I can get the the sciences done and over with quicker than my other subjects. I'm yet to plan it out but as for now: time to put all of that Module 1 French Vocabulary into Quizlet. I did watch all of Cell Biology only an hour ago but the Required Practicals and some stuff seem to have not stuck in yet, so tonight I'll probably end up re-watching them.
yourmuddagyal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's amazing! Brilliant to know I've been a help. Let me know if you'd like to be tagged.
that'd be lovely!
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Name:  BB7214CD-F98B-4536-85C1-4524A9B8DF41.jpg.jpeg
Views: 38
Size:  23.0 KB

The colour, rather the absence of it, should give you an idea of my mood.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (190)
67.86%
No (90)
32.14%

Watched Threads