The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing a Law conversion degree in 2020

I have a 2:1 degree in mathematics but have struggled getting a job in the field. I have always been interested in studying law. My main concern is how easy it would be to get a job afterwards.
Thanks for your help
Original post by sphinxlink
I have a 2:1 degree in mathematics but have struggled getting a job in the field. I have always been interested in studying law. My main concern is how easy it would be to get a job afterwards.
Thanks for your help

It's an oversaturated market but a lot easier for people that have very good A levels and some relevant work experience
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
It's an oversaturated market but a lot easier for people that have very good A levels and some relevant work experience

Hi Thanks for your comments.
Do you have any advice on getting good experience?
You may not need to do a conversion course soon; the SQE is being introduced from autumn 2021. You may want to look into the changes to qualifying as a solicitor on the SRA website to get an idea of what different routes currently exist and how they will be changing (there will be a period where you can go either route; the SQE route may be cheaper than doing a GDL and LPC).
Original post by sphinxlink
Hi Thanks for your comments.
Do you have any advice on getting good experience?

Your uni Law society/careers centre could have helped with this and if you do the GDL in 2020 (or an alternative conversion course like the PGDL at BPP) you will get access to things that will help build your CV (University of Law hosts Toastmasters, for example) although you will be expected to research vacation schemes yourself. In the meantime, you could volunteer at an advice centre such as Citizens Advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending