The Student Room Group

Part time jobs for a 16 year old

Hi I'm in my first year of college and I feel like a little extra money would be great but since it's my first time looking for a job it's a little tough because I have no experience at all. I would like to use the money on clothes, gym accessories etc. I had made my CV and just put the regular (hard worker, dedicated, respectful) I also lied about having experience because if I didn't I would have no chance. I applied at 8 restruant and have had no reply. I live in Birmingham so there are plenty of shops to apply for but any advice would be highly appreciated
Original post by Zed03
Hi I'm in my first year of college and I feel like a little extra money would be great but since it's my first time looking for a job it's a little tough because I have no experience at all. I would like to use the money on clothes, gym accessories etc. I had made my CV and just put the regular (hard worker, dedicated, respectful) I also lied about having experience because if I didn't I would have no chance. I applied at 8 restruant and have had no reply. I live in Birmingham so there are plenty of shops to apply for but any advice would be highly appreciated

Hi there :biggrin:

If you are looking for your first job, I would recommend that you ask your schools careers advisor for some advice on your C.V.

I wouldnt advise that you lie on your C.V as the employeres you are applying to may request refereneces from these institution. In addition, companies are looking for honest staff so being truthful on your C.V is the best way to go!

Not sure where to start looking? Why not try: :cyber:

Online job searches - Websites like Indeed and Reed have large volumes of job vacancies
Business Social Media Pages - Independents advertise to fans and followers this way
Supermarkets - There are many big supermarkets who take on lots of part time staff
Business or Shopping Parks - Sometimes have a website for stores to post vacancies

I hope this helps,
Amy
:shakehand:
Reply 2
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there :biggrin:

If you are looking for your first job, I would recommend that you ask your schools careers advisor for some advice on your C.V.

I wouldnt advise that you lie on your C.V as the employeres you are applying to may request refereneces from these institution. In addition, companies are looking for honest staff so being truthful on your C.V is the best way to go!

Not sure where to start looking? Why not try: :cyber:

Online job searches - Websites like Indeed and Reed have large volumes of job vacancies
Business Social Media Pages - Independents advertise to fans and followers this way
Supermarkets - There are many big supermarkets who take on lots of part time staff
Business or Shopping Parks - Sometimes have a website for stores to post vacancies

I hope this helps,
Amy
:shakehand:

Hi and thanks for the reply, I didn't lie in terms of I put a place where I have worked I just said I had "experience in the food sector" maybe that was a bad move 😬. I will try and visit my college's career adviser and see if they can help me improve my CV
Try Primark probably not now as they have Xmas temps and they ar eliekly to stay on but in a few weeks or a month look on their website you can balance it out between your education and your interest. They have tons of weekend jobs where students work its an easy place to get into (once you pass the application process) and you can gain alot of experience within loike 9 months and if you don't like Primark you can move on after that 9 months and it'll be much easier to get a new job as you have alot of experience.
Reply 4
Original post by Pro Gamer 2003
Try Primark probably not now as they have Xmas temps and they ar eliekly to stay on but in a few weeks or a month look on their website you can balance it out between your education and your interest. They have tons of weekend jobs where students work its an easy place to get into (once you pass the application process) and you can gain alot of experience within loike 9 months and if you don't like Primark you can move on after that 9 months and it'll be much easier to get a new job as you have alot of experience.

Cheers but I would kind of like to find a job in the next week or so, If I am no successful I will surely try out Primark
Original post by Zed03
Cheers but I would kind of like to find a job in the next week or so, If I am no successful I will surely try out Primark

You've chosen one of the worst times of year to look for a job. Everywhere will already of hired temps etc for Christmas and most jobs will be letting all the temps in the next week or so.

You should try looking from maybe February onwards. Your not likely to find anything in the next month or so.
Original post by Zed03

Try mcdonalds. They take on a lot of students and are very flexible.
Reply 7
This might be surprising but 3 days ago I went into quite an expensive and well known restruant, dressed my best put on my biggest smile told them I was looking for work and got hired immediately. I have worked 2 days and have made £60 so far with 6 hour shift each day at £5 an hour. It was a surprise but a a very pleasant surprise
Original post by Zed03
Hi and thanks for the reply, I didn't lie in terms of I put a place where I have worked I just said I had "experience in the food sector" maybe that was a bad move 😬. I will try and visit my college's career adviser and see if they can help me improve my CV

You are more than welcome!

Try to write about any experiences you have had in school or extra curricular such as:

Work Experience
Duke of Edinburgh
NCS award
School rep
Young Enterprise
Volunteering
Sports/Hobby Clubs

If you have any other questions feel free to message us.

Amy :biggrin:

Quick Reply