Madzjade2000
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hello . At the moment i am not sure if i want to be a Clinical or Biomedical Scientist and some of my universities offer a IBMS accredited Biomedical Science degree . Do i need to do this say if i decide to become a clinical scientist ? Can i become a clinical scientist doing an IBMS biomedical science degree ? Will it give me a head-start on my clinical scientist route Or if i decide to be a biomedical scientist will it matter if i have it or not ?

Thanks
Candiceswyip
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Which university offered you a place up to now?
Beecar98
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you want to become a biomedical scientist then you will be required to have an IBMS accredited degree.

I’m not sure on the clinical scientist route tho, sorry!
chloebird
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by MusicGamer)
If you want to become a biomedical scientist then you will be required to have an IBMS accredited degree.

I’m not sure on the clinical scientist route tho, sorry!
This is true BUT that doesn’t mean you have to go to a university that has an IBMS accredited course ☺️ You can go to the one you like the most and then get your degree assessed to register for IBMS approval later. If it doesn’t meet their standards you can do supplementary modules to get there but to save time and money I’d recommend just choosing the modules you need to get an accredited degree in the first place-no matter where you go!
Candiceswyip
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by chloebird)
This is true BUT that doesn’t mean you have to go to a university that has an IBMS accredited course ☺️ You can go to the one you like the most and then get your degree assessed to register for IBMS approval later. If it doesn’t meet their standards you can do supplementary modules to get there but to save time and money I’d recommend just choosing the modules you need to get an accredited degree in the first place-no matter where you go!
Yes I think so. I would like to go to Lancaster or Surrey. What do you think?
chloebird
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Candiceswyip)
Yes I think so. I would like to go to Lancaster or Surrey. What do you think?
Honestly I’m not familiar with either 😂 I’d go with Lancaster since it ranks higher and it would probably be more expensive living in Surrey because it’s near London but go where you think you’ll enjoy! If you can’t actually visit the cities you can always go on google maps street view 😉
Beecar98
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by chloebird)
Yes, that’s true. However, it is a very expensive and time consuming route. And you can’t guarantee that the modules universities offer will 100% meet the requirements for accreditation. If not and you have to do top-up modules, this will be insanely expensive.
chloebird
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by MusicGamer)
Yes, that’s true. However, it is a very expensive and time consuming route. And you can’t guarantee that the modules universities offer will 100% meet the requirements for accreditation. If not and you have to do top-up modules, this will be insanely expensive.
Which is why you check that they do offer the required modules-I figured that part was common sense 😂
Madzjade2000
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Thanks everyone for the advice .
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Madzjade2000)
Hello . At the moment i am not sure if i want to be a Clinical or Biomedical Scientist and some of my universities offer a IBMS accredited Biomedical Science degree . Do i need to do this say if i decide to become a clinical scientist ? Can i become a clinical scientist doing an IBMS biomedical science degree ? Will it give me a head-start on my clinical scientist route Or if i decide to be a biomedical scientist will it matter if i have it or not ?

Thanks
Hello,
Where are you think of applying? Some places allow you to switch between an accredited course and a more flexible non-accredited during your first year (such as Lancaster). Being accredited means you can enter the NHS at a certain level to train to be a BMS. However, you can become a BMS through different routes mentioned in the thread, or you can enter the NHS at a lower level and train to become a BMS (so it'll take longer than going straight from uni). Accredited degrees are great if you'd like to be a BMS but they lack flexibility of other degrees. Plenty of people doing accredited degrees and never have an intention of being a BMS. It's just worth considering that it's easier to start on the accredited degree and switch off it than the other way.
Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Candiceswyip
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hello,
Where are you think of applying? Some places allow you to switch between an accredited course and a more flexible non-accredited during your first year (such as Lancaster). Being accredited means you can enter the NHS at a certain level to train to be a BMS. However, you can become a BMS through different routes mentioned in the thread, or you can enter the NHS at a lower level and train to become a BMS (so it'll take longer than going straight from uni). Accredited degrees are great if you'd like to be a BMS but they lack flexibility of other degrees. Plenty of people doing accredited degrees and never have an intention of being a BMS. It's just worth considering that it's easier to start on the accredited degree and switch off it than the other way.
Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Charlotte
Hello Charlotte,
You mean many students took accredited course of Biomed but few of them will be Biomedical scientist later?
I also worry about the chance of placement in NHS. Has Lancaster have medical school? The connection with NHS is good or not? Thanks!
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Candiceswyip)
Hello Charlotte,
You mean many students took accredited course of Biomed but few of them will be Biomedical scientist later?
I also worry about the chance of placement in NHS. Has Lancaster have medical school? The connection with NHS is good or not? Thanks!
Hi Candice,
Yes, lots of people take the accredited course and chose not to become BMS! It's still a great degree and can facilitate entry into lots of fields. Lancaster does have a medical school and there are currently students who work at the hospitals in Lancaster and around - but you don't have to do your placement in Lancaster and I know some people who have taken it near their home town and are living at home. We have had BMS and consultants from the local hospital trust teach on some modules. Either way you'll be supported to make an application and apply.
Charlotte
Candiceswyip
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi Candice,
Yes, lots of people take the accredited course and chose not to become BMS! It's still a great degree and can facilitate entry into lots of fields. Lancaster does have a medical school and there are currently students who work at the hospitals in Lancaster and around - but you don't have to do your placement in Lancaster and I know some people who have taken it near their home town and are living at home. We have had BMS and consultants from the local hospital trust teach on some modules. Either way you'll be supported to make an application and apply.
Charlotte
so Lancaster will help students to the application for placement in year 2, right? It's because I don't want to do placement in my home town and wish to do it in the UK. Thanks for your help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.54%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (544)
48.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed