Offered an interview for the UEA 5 year course, but I am a graduate (funding)

Watch
chunkofchange
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I applied for the following courses for September 2020 entry:

Newcastle GEM - rejected
Southampton GEM
Leicester 5 Year
East Anglia 5 Year - offered interview

I have been offered an interview with UEA but it is for undergraduate entry. From my understanding I would need to self-fund the first 4 years.

I don't have £37,000, which means I'm screwed right?

I plan to contact the medical school after Christmas to discuss things but I will be gutted if I have to turn them down because of money.

I am expecting to be rejected from Southampton because my UKCAT was poor.

I anticipated that I would get an interview with UEA and possibly Leicester because I rank highly using their criteria and I scored band 1 in the UKCAT.

I'm just gutted about the funding issue. Are there any options such as grants or scholarships?

Thank you
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chunkofchange)

Newcastle GEM - rejected
Southampton GEM
Leicester 5 Year

I have been offered an interview with UEA but it is for undergraduate entry. From my understanding I would need to self-fund the first 4 years.

I plan to contact the medical school after Christmas to discuss things but I will be gutted if I have to turn them down because of money.

I anticipated that I would get an interview with UEA and possibly Leicester because I rank highly using their criteria and I scored band 1 in the UKCAT.

I'm just gutted about the funding issue. Are there any options such as grants or scholarships?

Thank you
https://rmbf.org/medical-students/li...itable-trusts/
username4937028
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not to be rude but why did you apply to 5 year courses if you weren't 100% sure you could fund them? Technically speaking you don't need to pay the £37,000 up front, but obviously you need to be pretty damn sure you could pay £9000 each year.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Newcastle GEM - rejected
Southampton GEM
Leicester 5 Year

Thank you
The link you've been given is worth investigating, but there are very few funds for second-undergraduate 5-year medical students. You would also not be eligible to receive any bursary funds from the university, if this degree is an ELQ degree.

As a note, you might qualify for the loan for living costs, which is £8,000. There is nothing to stop you using this to pay for the fees, though this would of course leave the problem of actually funding your living costs.
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Newcastle GEM - rejected
Southampton GEM
Leicester 5 Year

Thank you
This was surely something to sort out before you applied, rather than when you get an interview? The med school have nothing to do with funding, that is down to SFE and they are very clear about the funding for 2nd degrees. If there is no way to take up a place if offered, you have removed the chance of somebody else having that interview when you were aware there was no chance of you accepting any offer (or you have left it until this stage to do your research, which may be considered short-sighted)
Last edited by GANFYD; 1 year ago
username4937028
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
This was surely something to sort out before you applied, rather than when you get an interview? The med school have nothing to do with funding, that is down to SFE and they are very clear about the funding for 2nd degrees. If there is no way to take up a place if ooffered, you have removed the chance of somebody else having that interview when you were aware there was no chance of you accepting any offer (or you have left it until this stage to do your research, which may be considered short-sighted)
This. Also, if you had a poor UCAT score why did you apply to Newcastle? I understand that when it comes to GEM a poor UCAT score is the final nail in the coffin if you haven't also sat the GAMSAT/BMAT but hopefully this will all be a learning experience if you apply next year.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Newcastle GEM - rejected
Southampton GEM
Leicester 5 Year

Thank you
So you applied to two UCAT unis when you had a bad UCAT, and two unis you can't possibly afford. This application went well didn't it Sorry, I know you're probably beating yourself up about that already, but some big lessons to learn regarding doing your research for next time. And not just UCAS - anything important! We live and we learn and we improve.

I don't think the charitable funding is going to be a realistic option. There are literally thousands of people who would want to be able to apply to a less competitive undergrad-entry place if they could, so why should they fund you over them?

You may be able to pick up work during your degree - undergrad entry is a little less intense so it becomes at least possible - but working enough hours to pay all those fees will be hard. Maybe a possibility combined with a large maintenance loan? It'd be risky though - can't find enough work and that could be it you drop out.

If you have a good credit rating a personal loan may be an option to top up what you can't afford, but again: risky.
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say, if you're not 100% sure you can afford it, don't take any 5 year offer. Reapply.
Universities will kick you out if you cannot pay. It happens. Take another year, get a better UCAT and either save more money or apply to 4 years
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (269)
56.39%
I don't have everything I need (208)
43.61%

Watched Threads