Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i got my mocks result back and for the 6 marker for biology paper 1

this was the q

Describe how the human body

Prevents pathogens from entering
defends itself against pathogens inside the body

does anyone have a mark scheme answer or a simplified one that can get me full 6 marks without me waffling cos i go on a tangent when writing 6 markers.

tysmmmm
bambi1425
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
try googling the exact question, or ask your teacher to see the mark scheme
daisyfleur
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
(Original post by bambi1425)
try googling the exact question, or ask your teacher to see the mark scheme
im on christmas break, and i tried but found this its from a similar question but i dont know what to take from it and what to add cos its clearly not answering the question, also the mark schemes arent available i did the 2019 paper
Attached files
Raja12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by daisyfleur)
i got my mocks result back and for the 6 marker for biology paper 1

this was the q

Describe how the human body

Prevents pathogens from entering
defends itself against pathogens inside the body

does anyone have a mark scheme answer or a simplified one that can get me full 6 marks without me waffling cos i go on a tangent when writing 6 markers.

tysmmmm
hey,

I don't have the mark scheme answer but I can tell u what to write. I got quite good last year for my GCSEs.
so, firstly talk about the skin, as it is the biggest organ preventing pathogens from entering.
then, talk about the different methods the white blood cell uses to kill the pathogens, such as making white blood cells or engulfing them.
daisyfleur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Raja12)
hey,

I don't have the mark scheme answer but I can tell u what to write. I got quite good last year for my GCSEs.
so, firstly talk about the skin, as it is the biggest organ preventing pathogens from entering.
then, talk about the different methods the white blood cell uses to kill the pathogens, such as making white blood cells or engulfing them.
so do i say

skin- (how it prevents pathogens from entering)
hydrochloric acid how it prevents pathogens from entering)
and nasal hairs? how it prevents pathogens from entering)

how many of those should i even talk and explain about

and then i could go on to talk about this

white blood cells help to defend against pathogens by:
• ingesting pathogens / bacteria / (cells containing) viruses
credit engulf / digest / phagocytosis
• to destroy (particular) pathogen / bacteria / viruses
• producing antibodies

would that get me 6 marks?
Raja12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so do i say

skin- (how it prevents pathogens from entering)
hydrochloric acid how it prevents pathogens from entering)
and nasal hairs? how it prevents pathogens from entering)

how many of those should i even talk and explain about

and then i could go on to talk about this

white blood cells help to defend against pathogens by:
• ingesting pathogens / bacteria / (cells containing) viruses
credit engulf / digest / phagocytosis
• to destroy (particular) pathogen / bacteria / viruses
• producing antibodies

would that get me 6 marks?
that would most likely get you 6 marks. make sure u explain everything and not just writing one sentence, as they will require you to explain how it prevents pathogens from entering/ the body defending itself. link back to the question always too, so when talking about skin and nasal hairs, write that these prevent pathogens from entering the body. also, talk about 4 points. The 4 points can be 2 for prevention from entering the body and 2 from the body defending itself by white blood cells engulfing and producing antibodies.
daisyfleur
Rep:
?
that would most likely get you 6 marks. make sure u explain everything and not just writing one sentence, as they will require you to explain how it prevents pathogens from entering/ the body defending itself. link back to the question always too, so when talking about skin and nasal hairs, write that these prevent pathogens from entering the body. also, talk about 4 points. The 4 points can be 2 for prevention from entering the body and 2 from the body defending itself by white blood cells engulfing and producing antibodies.
thanks a lot for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Raja12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thanks a lot for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
np I remember when I was in ur place and had bad teachers, even though I went to a grammar school
daisyfleur
Rep:
?
by the way there was another question for describing the transport of water through a plant from the roots to the atmosphere

if i wrote water will move out of the cell and they will become soft. Eventually the cell membrane will move away from the cell wall (called plasmolysis) and it will die

this would be right, wouldnt it? since the 'external solution' air is less dilute than the roots?
daisyfleur
Rep:
?
np I remember when I was in ur place and had bad teachers, even though I went to a grammar school
by the way there was another question for describing the transport of water through a plant from the roots to the atmosphere

if i wrote water will move out of the cell and they will become soft. Eventually the cell membrane will move away from the cell wall (called plasmolysis) and it will die

this would be right, wouldnt it? since the 'external solution' air is less dilute than the roots?
Raja12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

um your describing what happens to the cell after water comes out. the questions asking to describe the transport of water through a plant from the roots to the atmosphere. so what you would talk about here is water moving up from the roots through the xylem and then talk about how it evaporates, by undergoing transpiration. If this is a 6 maker, go into depth talking about the different stages.
headwithideas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Skin
The skin covers almost all parts of your body to prevent infection from pathogens. If it is cut or grazed it immediately begins to heal itself, often by forming a scab. This prevents infection as the skin acts as a physical barrier.
This physical barrier is formed from closely packed epithelial cells. Epithelial cells are found in the skin and inner linings of the digestive and respiratory systems.
Parts of the body that do not have skin have developed other ways to prevent infection. For example, the eyes produce tears that contain enzymes. These enzymes are chemical barriers.
Stomach acid
Stomach acid is a chemical barrier against infection. It is hydrochloric acid and is strong enough to kill any pathogens that have been caught in mucus in the airways or consumed in food or water.
headwithideas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
that is a snip of the mark scheme
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
9.38%
I need help researching courses (2)
6.25%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
9.38%
I need help with my personal statement (15)
46.88%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (6)
18.75%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
3.13%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed