Macbeth and a Christmas carol. URGENT HELP!!!! Watch

bpons01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi guys,
so i have my mocks starting on the 9th of january and my first exam is english lit paper 1. I'm going to be tested on macbeth and a christmas carol. my english teacher isnt .... the best and im really struggling with how to revise.i have a few questions which i will list in order of how badly i need it answered with 1 being PLEASE HELP I HAVE NO CLUE and so forth.

1. on the exam paper, it is possible for the question to be on both a character and theme? for example: how does Shakespeare present Macbeth and the supernatural, or how does Shakespeare present the three witches and the supernatural. if this is a possibility, does that mean i will have to learn multiple quotes for each theme for each character? for example if the theme is ambition, will i have to learn 5 quotes on Macbeth and ambition, 5 quotes on Banquo and ambition, 5 quotes on macduff and ambition etc; or can i just learn say 6 quotes for ambition and each quote can be on any character as long as i have 6 quotes. and if i were to learn 6 quotes for Macbeth, they could be on any theme and i can leave it at that? i really hope this makes sense because it is really confusing me and i don't want to learn <30 quotes for each theme when i can only learn 6. to summarize: will the English lit question either be on just a theme or just a person or is it possible that it will be on both and therefore i will have to learn multiple quotes for each person regarding that theme.

2. what is the complete list of themes for Macbeth and a Christmas carol? my school has given me a list consisting of fate and freewill, order and disorder, guilt, masc and fem, ambition, appearance and reality, supernatural and kingship for Macbeth and social responsibility, Christmas spirit, poverty, family, redemption and greed for an Xmas carol. however, when i look at what themes other people are learning they are revising themes we haven't even been told to revise! and i don't want to go into my exam and be asked about a theme i haven't revised for and don't know what it is!

if someone could please answer these questions my stress levels could largely drop and i can confidently continue with my revision. answers asap please!!! Thank-you
alce_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i sat the 2019 gcse a couple of weeks ago for my English lit mock. we only did the a christmas carol question tho because we've done loads of eng lit exams recently so our school thought we were too stressed already (also I do romeo and juliet instead of macbeth). the question I did was: How does Dickens present Scrooge's fears in A Christmas Carol? (I wrote about scrooge's reactions to each of the ghosts and some bs about how that is evidence of his character transformation). I got an 8, and I didn't even do 3 comparisons, so don't worry too much. also with quote learning, I hadn't learnt many quotes that were relevant to the question I got, but I managed to just remember random short quotes like "its genial face". if you have a good understanding of the novel/play, you should be fine. no idea if any of this has been at all helpful, but try not to panic, i'm sure it will be absolutely fine
bpons01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by alce_)
i sat the 2019 gcse a couple of weeks ago for my English lit mock. we only did the a christmas carol question tho because we've done loads of eng lit exams recently so our school thought we were too stressed already (also I do romeo and juliet instead of macbeth). the question I did was: How does Dickens present Scrooge's fears in A Christmas Carol? (I wrote about scrooge's reactions to each of the ghosts and some bs about how that is evidence of his character transformation). I got an 8, and I didn't even do 3 comparisons, so don't worry too much. also with quote learning, I hadn't learnt many quotes that were relevant to the question I got, but I managed to just remember random short quotes like "its genial face". if you have a good understanding of the novel/play, you should be fine. no idea if any of this has been at all helpful, but try not to panic, i'm sure it will be absolutely fine
ok thankyou!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?