Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is just totally out of interest, and there are not many threads on here regarding the Navy. Does anyone else find the Navy Careers website slightly strange, some information is clearly stated but sometimes it is hard to find out other information.

1. What are the main Officer Roles?
    I got:
    Pilot
    Observer
    Warfare
    Medical
    Chaplin
    Engineering
    Air Traffic Controller

2. Most age restrictions on the officer roles seem 26 years old, are there any exceptions (I think Supply/logistics officer was the only one I could see)

3. Why are the ages capped at 26 years when the Army and RAF are so much higher?

ReputationRep:
    Cant think of an answer to 3. But I agree with you that the Navy website is fairly difficult in finding information etc...where have you got with your app. so far?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Age limits simply define your pool of candidates, with a basic presumption of 21-23 being your target population (for physical aptitude based branches, not for all branches though). If you can get the numbers you need out of an age bracket 3 years either side of that, ie 18-26 then that cuts out the wasteage in selection. When the RN have real problems getting suitable candidates through the doors, the age limits will rise to 27, 28 etc. That time has already come for the Army and RAF.

ReputationRep:
    I think the only ones you missed are the supply officer and dental officer. Standby, to be corrected......

ReputationRep:
    It's Logs in the RN not supply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave_perry)
    Cant think of an answer to 3. But I agree with you that the Navy website is fairly difficult in finding information etc...where have you got with your app. so far?
    I have not applied, thinking of applying in approximately a year, year and a half, although that would not leave me much time before I am 26. I will apply for the RAF again too, fingers crossed one of them will want me!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Age limits simply define your pool of candidates, with a basic presumption of 21-23 being your target population (for physical aptitude based branches, not for all branches though). If you can get the numbers you need out of an age bracket 3 years either side of that, ie 18-26 then that cuts out the wasteage in selection. When the RN have real problems getting suitable candidates through the doors, the age limits will rise to 27, 28 etc. That time has already come for the Army and RAF.
    It makes perfect sense, but it is a little annoying for me as I am 25 in about 5months time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruhr_Phantom)
    It makes perfect sense, but it is a little annoying for me as I am 25 in about 5months time.
    Apply now then? You can always delay AIB etc. until you are ready.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Venom)
    Apply now then? You can always delay AIB etc. until you are ready.
    I did not know that, thought it was like IOT your given a date and that is that. Do you need to start AIB one month before your 27th birthday though?

ReputationRep:
    I did not know that, thought it was like IOT your given a date and that is that. Do you need to start AIB one month before your 27th birthday though?
    AIB is the equivalent to OASC (ie it's the selection process) rather than IOT. The RN Initial Officer Training happens at BRNC Dartmouth, but the system works a bit differently to the RAF, in that you get told at the end of the AIB whether you have passed or not, but passing doesn't guarantee you a place in the service. You get put on a 'list' of candidates who have passed the AIB, and you are considered for each entry to BRNC over the course of a year (as that's how long the pass is valid for). So for each entry, all of the people who could potentially be on it (ie everyone that has a valid AIB pass at that time) are put into order depending on how well they passed the AIB (& FATs if applicable), and if there are say 15 places for a particular branch then the top 15 AIB passes for that branch will be chosen.

I'm not sure how your approaching the age limit would affect it so I'll leave that for someone else to answer

ReputationRep:
    No, you can delay. AOSB (Army) and AIB (RN) are worth a little longer than OASC IRRC. AOSB is valid for 7 years.

Apply then defer rather than leaving it until it's too late is my suggestion for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DBazza)
    AIB is the equivalent to OASC (ie it's the selection process) rather than IOT. The RN Initial Officer Training happens at BRNC Dartmouth, but the system works a bit differently to the RAF, in that you get told at the end of the AIB whether you have passed or not, but passing doesn't guarantee you a place in the service. You get put on a 'list' of candidates who have passed the AIB, and you are considered for each entry to BRNC over the course of a year (as that's how long the pass is valid for). So for each entry, all of the people who could potentially be on it (ie everyone that has a valid AIB pass at that time) are put into order depending on how well they passed the AIB (& FATs if applicable), and if there are say 15 places for a particular branch then the top 15 AIB passes for that branch will be chosen.

I'm not sure how your approaching the age limit would affect it so I'll leave that for someone else to answer
    Thanks for clearing that up, I am new to the Navy stuff, so it is useful to talk to people who know how the system works. The system seems to make a lot of sense really, and is useful that you do get told at the end of AIB.

ReputationRep:
    No, you can delay. AOSB (Army) and AIB (RN) are worth a little longer than OASC IRRC. AOSB is valid for 7 years.

Apply then defer rather than leaving it until it's too late is my suggestion for sure.
    Thanks also for that, do you have a Navy application going at the moment?? How have you found the process?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks also for that, do you have a Navy application going at the moment?? How have you found the process?
    Nah me is going Army

ReputationRep:
    Nah me is going Army
    Best of luck with that!!

ReputationRep:
    The RN system works very well in terms of recruiting the 'best of the best' as it were. However, if you happen to gain only an average pass then you could find yourself waiting around for a year being told different things by the selection officer each time you ring him. One time you ring him you could be on th list to join BRNC, then someone who passes with a better score the week after will have stolen your place. In terms of a business recruiting scheme this means you always have the best officers in the system, yet, as an applicant it means you have up to a year in 'limbo' not knowing whether you will get a place or not. I know this from experience and the end result was that my scores just didn't cut it for that year.

Whether they would take your age into account before you become to old im not sure, but if I was you I would crack on with the application.

blimy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blimy)
    The RN system works very well in terms of recruiting the 'best of the best' as it were. However, if you happen to gain only an average pass then you could find yourself waiting around for a year being told different things by the selection officer each time you ring him. One time you ring him you could be on th list to join BRNC, then someone who passes with a better score the week after will have stolen your place. In terms of a business recruiting scheme this means you always have the best officers in the system, yet, as an applicant it means you have up to a year in 'limbo' not knowing whether you will get a place or not. I know this from experience and the end result was that my scores just didn't cut it for that year.

Whether they would take your age into account before you become to old im not sure, but if I was you I would crack on with the application.

blimy
    Thanks for your advice, really had no clue it worked like, thought the waiting around might actually be better than the RAF, lol. Sorry to hear about not getting a place, I know kinda how it is with the disappointment i felt about not getting into the RAF this year. Still getting on with it and ready to crack on with the next application!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not complaining, perhaps it was a blessing in disguise for me. It meant that I got to spend 6 weeks in Thailand and now I have a provisional place on IOT 14 as a pilot (I originally always wanted to be an RAF pilot, however, applied for the RN as I could before the RAF). Happy Days!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blimy)
    I'm not complaining, perhaps it was a blessing in disguise for me. It meant that I got to spend 6 weeks in Thailand and now I have a provisional place on IOT 14 as a pilot (I originally always wanted to be an RAF pilot, however, applied for the RN as I could before the RAF). Happy Days!
    Well that is pretty awesome really, I am so jealous, best of luck, hopefully one day I will be joining you!!

I am booking a holiday to Thailand for November, cannot wait to go!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, Thailand is an amazing place, try and go off the the tourist trails if you want to see the real Thailand!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.