The Student Room Group

A level choices

I’m between taking either:
•biology,chemistry,psychology,history (to study medicine)
•psychology,law,history (to study law)
I’m getting 8-9s in all my subjects now so I don’t really need to worry about grades. My mum is kinda set on me taking sciences and studying medicine but I’d prefer to take more essay based subjects, although I’m probably better at sciences. Any advice?
Why don’t you take biology, chemistry, psychology/history and law and keep your options open?
Or, don’t do law A Level. Law isn’t a required choice to study law. Do the other 4 and you will still have a choice.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Bmg1374
I’m getting 8-9s in all my subjects now so I don’t really need to worry about grades. My mum is kinda set on me taking sciences and studying medicine but I’d prefer to take more essay based subjects, although I’m probably better at sciences. Any advice?

if you want to keep your options open i would do something like bio, chem, history and geog... Psych would not really help with that balance as it's quite sciency
Take bio Chem history and psychology since you need essay subjects for law nd bio and chem for medicine. Then you can drop the 4th later on if you decide your path or feel like things have become difficult. Law only needs one essay subject in most unis for medicine you need bio and chem
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by A Rolling Stone
if you want to keep your options open i would do something like bio, chem, history and geog... Psych would not really help with that balance as it's quite sciency

I don’t take geog so cant take it for a levels at my school :/ I’m currently taking psych and am really enjoying it and got a 9 in my mock, so wanted to take it further. Thank you for your advice :smile:
Original post by ArtmisKco
Take bio Chem history and psychology since you need essay subjects for law nd bio and chem for medicine. Then you can drop the 4th later on if you decide your path or feel like things have become difficult. Law only needs one essay subject in most unis for medicine you need bio and chem

Thank you:smile: I’m worried about taking 4 subjects, and wanted to take law to get a feel for the subject before I decided whether to do it as a career. I think I’d prefer the essay based subjects but I also think I should keep my options open like you’ve said
Do medicine only if you genuinely want to do it, don't do it because it "looks smart" and gives you status or if you're parents/friends/whoever said you should. If you prefer essay based subjects then do what you want to do because let me tell you now, it is a f**king pain to do subjects you hate...because I am now and I am literally crying every night. So in your case I would recommend psychology, law and history. To be honest, you're only in year 11...you can't 100% determine what you will do in the future now because you might change and its normal to change your options :smile:
I’ve heard that law at A level is very different to law at university or as a career, so studying it at A level isn’t really necessary. Why don’t you see if a uni near you hosts open law lectures so you can find out more about the subject?

In terms of the combination, I’d recommend taking biology and chemistry to keep the medicine door open, and then take either history or psychology. That would allow you to either do medicine or law, as law doesn’t really have specific requirements. Ultimately, you need to do what you enjoy in order to achieve well in them :smile:
Original post by Berrydo
Do medicine only if you genuinely want to do it, don't do it because it "looks smart" and gives you status or if you're parents/friends/whoever said you should. If you prefer essay based subjects then do what you want to do because let me tell you now, it is a f**king pain to do subjects you hate...because I am now and I am literally crying every night. So in your case I would recommend psychology, law and history. To be honest, you're only in year 11...you can't 100% determine what you will do in the future now because you might change and its normal to change your options :smile:

Thank you so much:smile: hope your subjects get better than they are now
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
I’ve heard that law at A level is very different to law at university or as a career, so studying it at A level isn’t really necessary. Why don’t you see if a uni near you hosts open law lectures so you can find out more about the subject?

In terms of the combination, I’d recommend taking biology and chemistry to keep the medicine door open, and then take either history or psychology. That would allow you to either do medicine or law, as law doesn’t really have specific requirements. Ultimately, you need to do what you enjoy in order to achieve well in them :smile:

That’s a great idea, thank you so much :smile: I’ve heard that it’s p different but I want to get a feel for the subject you know?
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Why don’t you take biology, chemistry, psychology/history and law and keep your options open?
Or, don’t do law A Level. Law isn’t a required choice to study law. Do the other 4 and you will still have a choice.

I love history and psychology and wouldn’t want to drop either of them but want to get a feel for the subject. Thank you for your advice :smile:
Original post by Bmg1374

I’d say doing sciences at A level is a lot more engaging than GCSE, you also don’t need to do law as an A level to pursue law, so personally I would go with option one and decide later on whether you would like to do medicine or law
Original post by Bmg1374
That’s a great idea, thank you so much :smile: I’ve heard that it’s p different but I want to get a feel for the subject you know?

Yeh tbh i think it is good to do a level law so you are exposed to what it’ll be like - although different, it must be similar to an extent.
Original post by Bmg1374
I don’t take geog so cant take it for a levels at my school :/ I’m currently taking psych and am really enjoying it and got a 9 in my mock, so wanted to take it further. Thank you for your advice :smile:

Original post by Bmg1374
Thank you:smile: I’m worried about taking 4 subjects, and wanted to take law to get a feel for the subject before I decided whether to do it as a career. I think I’d prefer the essay based subjects but I also think I should keep my options open like you’ve said

I would take Biology, Chemistry, Psychology & History to keep both options open (with a view to maybe dropping one by the end of Year 12) - there really is no need to do A level Law. I also advise you to book uni Open Days to attend in the summer - the end of Year 11 is not too early to do this in my opinion and attending subject talks for Law & Medicine may help you to decide which sounds more interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest