The Student Room Group

What Americanisms do you really dislike?

What Americanisms (introduced into the UK) annoy you?

One Americanism that bothers me is when someone says they are "pissed at" someone, rather than pissed off with someone.

(Fortunately no one in the UK says 'I could care less' which would otherwise be the worst)

Scroll to see replies

Deplane, 24/7, gotten and rookie.
Reply 2
Dropping the 'and' from spoken numbers.
Reply 3
Oh my goodness so many!
Spellings. Why do we now see every British supermarket spelling yoghurt as yogurt. People saying the word movie when it should be film. People saying “can I get” in a coffee shop instead of “please may I have”. Upwards inflection is so annoying and cringe. And the American past participle of the word “get”. I never use get, I use other words like have, be, receive, acquire, etc instead.
And worst of all, the dreaded word “like”, used as a sentence filler. I hate Americanisation and cultural infiltration of the American language upon the U.K. our language is slowly dying and it pains me :frown:
(edited 4 years ago)
None, better things to worry about
(edited 4 years ago)
Halloween is something that irritates me.

Not a fan of Black Friday, it makes no sense for us as we don’t have thanksgiving the day before.
Nothinggg bc I love americanis omg- if there are any cute tall American guys out here (21+), hmu :wink:
'Hello'. Ugh irritates me so much.
Original post by Deggs_14
Oh my goodness so many!
Spellings. Why do we now see every British supermarket spelling yoghurt as yogurt. People saying the word movie when it should be film. People saying “can I get” in a coffee shop instead of “please may I have”. Upwards inflection is so annoying and cringe. And the American past participle of the word “get”. I never use get, I use other words like have, be, receive, acquire, etc instead.
And worst of all, the dreaded word “like”, used as a sentence filler. I hate Americanisation and cultural infiltration of the American language upon the U.K. our language is slowly dying and it pains me :frown:

haaaa! that is hilarious because i was thinking the same about yoghurt! i don't understand it as surely companies want their product to look classier with the h. i think it stems from a belief that everything must be dumbed down.

have to disagree with movie/film though, as when someone is talking about films it allows the two words to be used alternately to spare the listener from repetition
All of them! Especially referring to a group of people as "guys", the phrase "my bad", "math", the entire concept of celebrating Halloween, period instead of full stop. I could go on!

Oh. I forgot mom!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by londonmyst
Deplane, 24/7, gotten and rookie.

deplane? ewwwwwwwwwww (there's another one).

didn't know 24/7 was an Americanism, ha
Reply 12
Prom and graduation ceremonies.

Fuel efficiency being in mpg instead of l/100km

Black Friday
pRoM
Reply 14
Original post by A Rolling Stone
(Fortunately no one in the UK says 'I could care less' which would otherwise be the worst)

Oh but they do, and it gets my vote
Original post by gjd800
Oh but they do, and it gets my vote

:biggrin:
Original post by Chris22
All of them! Especially referring to a group of people as "guys", the phrase "my bad", "math", the entire concept of celebrating Halloween, period instead of full stop. I could go on!

Oh. I forgot mom!

i am guilty of saying guys and my bad :smile:

i think mom is traditionally said by people from Birmingham
'Mom' :rolleyes:
i'm screaming
Now that I think about it, I don't think any of them really annoy me as such. Not a fan of people saying "trash" but it's nbd.

Quick Reply

Latest