The Student Room Group

My resentment for my family won’t go away and i can’t see a happy ending for me

I’m bubbly, confident and funny to everyone at uni. What they don’t know is i’m crippled by childhood trauma that i cant forget. I grew up in a good home, my dad has a good job and i always got exactly what i wanted.

but I’m fat. I’ve always been bigger and taller than everyone else and now i’m 5’10. I weigh about 77kg so yeah i’m a size 12/14. This flaw has been ingrained into my
head since i was 7. I’m not going to go on and list stories of my trauma because it’s just too long and no one cares. Long story short i was told by my brothers and mum (mainly my mum) that i’m fat and i need to diet as a child. It wasn’t my mother’s fault she fed me these foods it was my job as a 10 year old to moniter what i ate. Flash forward and i’m 21 - everything i buy and do and eat and talk
about involves me being fat. My friends at uni told me this upbringing and behaviour was not normal which is where i began to question everything. I stopped speaking to my mum last summer after she called me fat and said she only says it to help me because who else will be honest. 2 months later she calls me and was super nice, i thought things had changed until she called me a month later reminding me to diet because she doesn’t want me to be fat for christmas this year. Instantly the topic makes me burst into tears seeing as my weight is constantly on my mind anyways.

I’ve always been depressed but i notice to more when i come home from uni. I have a loving boyfriend who adores me and my body (idk but he says he thinks it’s perfect ? i don’t believe him but he’s said it for over a year so i’m guessing he doesn’t mind that i’m fat and chooses to lie to me lol) and my friends have told me i’m not fat since they met me - they say my mums a liar and they get mad when i keep saying i look fat in outfits when we go clubbing - they probably just want me to feel better and i’m grateful they try.

I am writing this in tears as my mum said i look fat when i tried on a new outfit for a party this week. I took pictures and showed my friends and they liked it. My mum started whispering to my sister in law about how tight i look and how my stomach is hanging out.

I’ve considered running away because my mental health is only bad at home. i need therapy and i’m already on anti depressants.

any advice would be appreciated because i really don’t know what to do, ive mentioned to my bro and he says i need help.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’m bubbly, confident and funny to everyone at uni. What they don’t know is i’m crippled by childhood trauma that i cant forget. I grew up in a good home, my dad has a good job and i always got exactly what i wanted.

but I’m fat. I’ve always been bigger and taller than everyone else and now i’m 5’10. I weigh about 77kg so yeah i’m a size 12/14. This flaw has been ingrained into my
head since i was 7. I’m not going to go on and list stories of my trauma because it’s just too long and no one cares. Long story short i was told by my brothers and mum (mainly my mum) that i’m fat and i need to diet as a child. It wasn’t my mother’s fault she fed me these foods it was my job as a 10 year old to moniter what i ate. Flash forward and i’m 21 - everything i buy and do and eat and talk
about involves me being fat. My friends at uni told me this upbringing and behaviour was not normal which is where i began to question everything. I stopped speaking to my mum last summer after she called me fat and said she only says it to help me because who else will be honest. 2 months later she calls me and was super nice, i thought things had changed until she called me a month later reminding me to diet because she doesn’t want me to be fat for christmas this year. Instantly the topic makes me burst into tears seeing as my weight is constantly on my mind anyways.

I’ve always been depressed but i notice to more when i come home from uni. I have a loving boyfriend who adores me and my body (idk but he says he thinks it’s perfect ? i don’t believe him but he’s said it for over a year so i’m guessing he doesn’t mind that i’m fat and chooses to lie to me lol) and my friends have told me i’m not fat since they met me - they say my mums a liar and they get mad when i keep saying i look fat in outfits when we go clubbing - they probably just want me to feel better and i’m grateful they try.

I am writing this in tears as my mum said i look fat when i tried on a new outfit for a party this week. I took pictures and showed my friends and they liked it. My mum started whispering to my sister in law about how tight i look and how my stomach is hanging out.

I’ve considered running away because my mental health is only bad at home. i need therapy and i’m already on anti depressants.

any advice would be appreciated because i really don’t know what to do, ive mentioned to my bro and he says i need help.

please anyone?
(edited 4 years ago)
please anyone?

I'm guessing you have moved out for uni. I suggest you just go home for Christmas and then if she says anything to you let her know about how upsetting it actually makes u feel. I'm really sorry that you have to go through this and unless ur weight is unhealthy bmi u have nothing to worry about xxx
please anyone?

I would also suggest u post it on to mumsnet if u don't get replies here as their are some incredible women and mothers on there who would give u very useful advice
Reply 4
I'm guessing you have moved out for uni. I suggest you just go home for Christmas and then if she says anything to you let her know about how upsetting it actually makes u feel. I'm really sorry that you have to go through this and unless ur weight is unhealthy bmi u have nothing to worry about xxx

she doesn’t care i’ve tried .
I’ve told my whole family. Nothing changed

any advice would be appreciated because i really don’t know what to do, ive mentioned to my bro that i don’t want to live and he says i need help.

A size 12/14 is not fat. Your mother has issues around weight for some reason, nothing to do with you. Maybe she is insecure about her own weight or thinks that women need to be slim to be loved.

You shouldn't run away from home as you need them while you are young - but you could only visit for a few days over Christmas and return to uni as soon as possible. In the end, you need to learn to love yourself and focus on the many good things in your life that other people would envy - you are at uni, you have friends at uni, you have a nice boyfriend - and not the negatives (your toxic mother). I'm sorry to hear that you are on anti depressants for a "problem" that is in your mother's head. If you are not already on the waiting list for counselling/therapy then get yourself on the waiting list at home and at uni
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar
A size 12/14 is not fat. Your mother has issues around weight for some reason, nothing to do with you. Maybe she is insecure about her own weight or thinks that women need to be slim to be loved.

You shouldn't run away from home as you need them while you are young - but you could only visit for a few days over Christmas and return to uni as soon as possible. In the end, you need to learn to love yourself and focus on the many good things in your life that other people would envy - you are at uni, you have friends at uni, you have a nice boyfriend - and not the negatives (your toxic mother). I'm sorry to hear that you are on anti depressants for a "problem" that is in your mother's head. If you are not already on the waiting list for counselling/therapy then get yourself on the waiting list at home and at uni

Her own mother was probably incredibly abusive. Yeah she doesn’t know about my boyfriend and says no man wil ever marry me looking the way I do. And that it’s only going to get worse.

Thanks so much for your message
I don’t believe that i’m not fat but your support means a lot.
Reply 7
It might be worth seeking help when you return to university as it is also having a huge impact on your wellbeing. I'm sorry about what you're going through OP.

Her own mother was probably incredibly abusive. Yeah she doesn’t know about my boyfriend and says no man wil ever marry me looking the way I do. And that it’s only going to get worse.

That explains why your mother is repeating the pattern - if you could allow yourself to pity her then maybe it would make it easier to tolerate her. Just make sure you don't do the same thing when you have a lovely family of your own one day (I'm sure you won't because you are more self aware than that :smile:)
Reply 9
Original post by Pathway
It might be worth seeking help when you return to university as it is also having a huge impact on your wellbeing. I'm sorry about what you're going through OP.

i have been offered counselling by the university which i will take up. Thanks for the support
A size 12/14 at 5'10" is not fat. I say this with the authority of my 50 something years and as a 5'10" size 14 woman. My husband of 20 years would agree.
Your Mum doesn't not sound like she is handling your relationship well. It is hard to do the right thing when you are a parent but she seems to have taken the wrong path if she feels that her approach is helpful.
My daughter was a bit chunky in primary up to about yr9 and I agonised about what I should say, if anything, about this as it was due to a combination of hating sport and giving herself larger than necessary portions at school. In the end I said nothing and just made sure that home food was as good as it could be. I was also open about my own struggles to manage my weight (at one point I had been a size 20 - that was fat) and my desire to eat healthily but well. She discovered a sport she liked and lost a bit of weight and I am glad that I never gave her any sort of body image issues. She did come across a particularly unflattering photo of her first day at senior and said she looked fat and why hadn't I said something- I explained that we had worried about the right approach and she agreed that saying nothing had been right.
For yourself I would focus on being healthy and forget the numbers. Make sure you do some exercise- walk, swim, jog, whatever does it for you. Eat lots of veg and lean protein. Try and zone out her unhelpful comments and be happy in yourself and with your lovely sounding boyfriend.
Best wishes
I am so sorry about this. I had a similar problem with my ( now late) mum.

She would tell me I was a burden etc that she didn’t want me. It was even worse when she died. I found an account of when we went on holiday in a group. Everyone else was mentioned in the diary except for me- and there were quite a lot of funny stories about me on that holiday she could have committed to paper. There was the proof that she didn’t love me. When my husband left me she said I would be a lonely old lady and nobody would ever love me.

What I mean to say is that there is nothing wrong with either of us. Both our mums have issues. At least you have a lovely boyfriend who tells it like it is. That you are attractive and not fat at all. This is also the consensus of all the other people in this thread, including me.

When I was having problems with my parents I was on antidepressants, I didn’t feel any better, so I hardly saw my parents at all. That cured me instantly and the doctors were really impressed, saying “physician heal thyself”. It was my parents who were making me feel low. I threw away the antidepressants and have never looked back.

Your mother is making a massive mistake in the way she is treating you. Hasn’t she heard the saying “your children aren’t yours, they are just lent to you?” You will make a future with your boyfriend or another partner and she will spend the rest of her days wondering why you only want minimal contact with her.

Chin up, lady and enjoy your Christmas knowing that you have our love and support. xx
t

Original post by Oxford Mum
I am so sorry about this. I had a similar problem with my ( now late) mum.

She would tell me I was a burden etc that she didn’t want me. It was even worse when she died. I found an account of when we went on holiday in a group. Everyone else was mentioned in the diary except for me- and there were quite a lot of funny stories about me on that holiday she could have committed to paper. There was the proof that she didn’t love me. When my husband left me she said I would be a lonely old lady and nobody would ever love me.

What I mean to say is that there is nothing wrong with either of us. Both our mums have issues. At least you have a lovely boyfriend who tells it like it is. That you are attractive and not fat at all. This is also the consensus of all the other people in this thread, including me.

When I was having problems with my parents I was on antidepressants, I didn’t feel any better, so I hardly saw my parents at all. That cured me instantly and the doctors were really impressed, saying “physician heal thyself”. It was my parents who were making me feel low. I threw away the antidepressants and have never looked back.

Your mother is making a massive mistake in the way she is treating you. Hasn’t she heard the saying “your children aren’t yours, they are just lent to you?” You will make a future with your boyfriend or another partner and she will spend the rest of her days wondering why you only want minimal contact with her.

Chin up, lady and enjoy your Christmas knowing that you have our love and support. xx

thank you for taking the time to reply. helps to know someone else can relate. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending