Young long term relationships-does he still care?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm 21 and my ex of 2 and a half years broke up with me in September (3 months ago). His reason was he doesn't want to settle for ages, but he wants to remain friends. I never mention marriage. Then I got my things a month later and he said it slowly faded and sometimes things just don't work out, but I did nothing wrong. I haven't spoken to him at all, but his mother wanted to meet me for coffee a few weeks ago and said she was angry that he's broken up with me and that we should meet for drinks in the new year. Since I have met the loveliest new guy who I want to be with. However, I'm not sure if I should be friends with my ex. I have no idea how he's feeling right now? I was wondering if any guys could shed light on whether he's totally over me or if he'd want to be friends really?
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It sounds like he is over you. His mother is just being interfering . Just because she likes you it doesn’t mean her son wants to get back with you. My parents were like that about my exes and it was very irritating.

How wonderful that you have someone new, who sounds much better than the ex. When people split up they always say they want to be friends but that is just to make the situation easier. It’s a cliche , a meaningless phrase.

Whereas with the new boyfriend you have a brand new start. Concentrate on him. If you try to be good friends with the ex it may make your boyfriend uneasy.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ask if you can bring New Improved Brand New Recipe Better Than Ever Boyfriend along to the meeting with your ex's mum.

That should bring closure to your ex and his family. Whilst also showing your lovely new boyfriend that you're not sneaking off with your ex behind his back.

At the meeting the 3 of you: you, your new boyfriend and the mum can all agree what a stupid idiot your ex was for breaking up with you. Should be quite a fun conversation.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh Dunnig Kruger I wish I was a fly on the wall for that one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (269)
56.39%
I don't have everything I need (208)
43.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise