emilyseed
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, my name's Emily! I want to apply to Oxford in 2022 starting university in 2023, from Australia (I study at a public high school). I get straight As, do multiple extracurricular activities in the areas of politics and Model UN/debating, English literature, philosophy, history and music. I also learn Latin and French. I’d like to study English Language and Literature or History and English (or something in that area) and I've looked around the Oxford website loads but I'm having trouble understanding the application process as a timeline in terms of the Australian school year. If anyone could help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by emilyseed; 3 weeks ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by emilyseed)
Hi, my name's Emily! I want to apply to Oxford in 2022 starting university in 2023, from Australia (I study at a public high school). I get straight As, do multiple extracurricular activities in the areas of politics and Model UN/debating, English literature, philosophy, history and music. I also learn Latin and French. I’d like to study English Language and Literature or History and English (or something in that area) and I've looked around the Oxford website loads but I'm having trouble understanding the application process as a timeline in terms of the Australian school year. If anyone could help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
If you want to start uni in 2023 you will need to apply to Oxford between 1st September 2022 and 15th October 2022. Other unis you apply to have a longer applications period, 1st September 2022 to 15th January 2023.

The way it works in the UK is that people apply with predicted A level grades as they haven't sat their exams at the time they apply - and unis give them conditional offers, conditional upon achieving their predicted grades of AAA or whatever
Batman 2.0
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You may also have to take some sort of aptitude test which normally takes place at the end of October.
HedgePig
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don’t know if Oxford conduct interviews in Australia, but if they do, you’d need to have your application in by 15 September, not 15 October, to be considered for a “local” interview. Otherwise, if you were selected for an interview you would have to fly to the UK at short notice (about a week.)

For UK universities, unlike US universities, your extra-curriculars are of no consideration unless they are directly related to your course of study.

You would also need to find out if Australian high school qualifications would be acceptable to Oxford - I have no idea whether they are. (If you are doing an IB program or have US AP results, those would be but I have no idea about regular Australian highs school.)
emilyseed
Rep:
?
(Original post by Batman 2.0)
You may also have to take some sort of aptitude test which normally takes place at the end of October.
What do you mean by an aptitude test?
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by HedgePig)
I don’t know if Oxford conduct interviews in Australia, but if they do, you’d need to have your application in by 15 September, not 15 October, to be considered for a “local” interview. Otherwise, if you were selected for an interview you would have to fly to the UK at short notice (about a week.)

For UK universities, unlike US universities, your extra-curriculars are of no consideration unless they are directly related to your course of study.

You would also need to find out if Australian high school qualifications would be acceptable to Oxford - I have no idea whether they are. (If you are doing an IB program or have US AP results, those would be but I have no idea about regular Australian highs school.)
They will usually have the option of a Skype interview if they are unable to travel to the UK if OP lives in Australia.
emilyseed
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
If you want to start uni in 2023 you will need to apply to Oxford between 1st September 2022 and 15th October 2022. Other unis you apply to have a longer applications period, 1st September 2022 to 15th January 2023.

The way it works in the UK is that people apply with predicted A level grades as they haven't sat their exams at the time they apply - and unis give them conditional offers, conditional upon achieving their predicted grades of AAA or whatever
Cool! This is very helpful.

This may be on the website but I’ll go ahead and ask anyway: can you give me an approximate time that I’d get my conditional offer? I’d like to compare it to Australian universities.
2500_2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

This may be on the website but I’ll go ahead and ask anyway: can you give me an approximate time that I’d get my conditional offer? I’d like to compare it to Australian universities.
this year (for 2020 entry) Oxford is notifying interviewed applicants of offers and rejections on 14 Jan 2020
2500_2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What do you mean by an aptitude test?
ELAT test for English applicants
HAT test for history applicants
and just because you don't seem very familiar with the website and this bit is crucial current fees including those for international students (which will probably rise annually by around 2 or 3%)
emilyseed
Rep:
?
Thanks! I did look at all the international fees. I’m looking for a job to pay for uni at the moment.

I use the Oxford website as my study motivator, haha. It and I are very good friends. Thanks for all your help OP.
emilyseed
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
this year (for 2020 entry) Oxford is notifying interviewed applicants of offers and rejections on 14 Jan 2020
Thanks! That’s perfect; Australian unis start sending results near then.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

As above, this cycle the offers & rejections will be given on 14th January 2020
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi op!

If you wish to apply for history, I have written a book called Oxford demystified. There is a chapter written by a current history student about how he got in and a chapter about English by a Cambridge student. Please tag me to remind me and I will send it to this thread on 28 December (my computer is not working)

Plus if you live in Australia they can interview you via Skype if you can’t get to the uk
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Hi op!

If you wish to apply for history, I have written a book called Oxford demystified. There is a chapter written by a current history student about how he got in and a chapter about English by a Cambridge student. Please tag me to remind me and I will send it to this thread on 28 December (my computer is not working)

Plus if you live in Australia they can interview you via Skype if you can’t get to the uk
I've posted the link for you OM

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...20full%20monty
Em.-.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Wouldn’t you have crazy international fees though? Well if you can afford it, go for it. I actually considered applying for some Australian unis (though I would pay home fees as I’m a citizen) but the travelling just seemed expensive and since I’m Scottish I can go to unis here for free 🙂 remember straight As are good but not enough, most people that apply have grades like that so it’s really the admission test and interview which will set you apart from other candidates. I applied with straight A1s (like A*s) yet I felt my second college interview went very badly so I’m not expecting anything (as apparently they give feedback to the first college you interview at, where I felt my interviews went comparatively well).
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks for posting that, harrys
emilyseed
Rep:
?
(Original post by Em.-.)
Wouldn’t you have crazy international fees though? Well if you can afford it, go for it. I actually considered applying for some Australian unis (though I would pay home fees as I’m a citizen) but the travelling just seemed expensive and since I’m Scottish I can go to unis here for free 🙂 remember straight As are good but not enough, most people that apply have grades like that so it’s really the admission test and interview which will set you apart from other candidates. I applied with straight A1s (like A*s) yet I felt my second college interview went very badly so I’m not expecting anything (as apparently they give feedback to the first college you interview at, where I felt my interviews went comparatively well).
Yeah I would That’s my one concern about Oxford since US financial aid is much better.

Australian universities are fantastic! I’m applying to plenty over here too, but Oxford is a dream of mine and I work incredibly hard to be a standout student, so even though I probably won’t get in I figure even if I don’t, I’ll learn a lot from the application experience. Thanks for being so nice!

Good luck with your own uni applications and thanks for your help.
emilyseed
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I've posted the link for you OM

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...20full%20monty
Thanks!
rachsilb101
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hey I’m Australian and applied for 2020 entry to Oxford to read music at univ. I’m going to be honest with you - unless you believe you have an extreme amount of drive, motivation and determination to work incredibly hard OUTSIDE of school work, you won’t have a chance. During year 12 I was studying a **** ton for my ATAR and everyday dedicated some time to reading papers, extra books, watching lectures, podcasts among other things. Every lunchtime I met with my music teacher to learn new things that were outside of my curriculum that would help with the Oxford process. I interviewed over something called Microsoft teams - this was challenging it kept cutting out and I assume the tutors missed quite a bit of what I was saying, it was also hard to show them my working of certain things over the computer. It’s definitely a process that I loved and learned a lot throughout, but from Australia it’s tough. You’re better off doing undergrad in aus and post grad over in the UK. not to mention there are many full scholarships available to post grads - almost none for undergrads and working a job with aus min. Wages will not cover the 30,000 pounds + 10,000 pound living costs - which equates to around 70,000 australian dollars. Just hoping to give you some sound insight from the perspective of an Australian.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

14.08%
12.31%
12.43%
17.99%
23.31%
19.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed