Be-LEAVER_101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Royal holloway university vs Lancaster University for theoretical physics...which is better. I just checked RHUL is a bit low on the ranking with Lancaster on thecompleteuniversityguide site but on unistats, RHUL seems to have more ratings. But I know which source should I trust...what do u guys think overall, which uni better in terms of teaching, social life, activities....etc etc etc
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Be-LEAVER_101)
Royal holloway university vs Lancaster University for theoretical physics...which is better. I just checked RHUL is a bit low on the ranking with Lancaster on thecompleteuniversityguide site but on unistats, RHUL seems to have more ratings. But I know which source should I trust...what do u guys think overall, which uni better in terms of teaching, social life, activities....etc etc etc
What sort of environment do you think would suit you best? RHUL has a lot of commuting students or students who go home to London at the weekend.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello,
University rankings take into account a lot of things, one of them being student satisfaction which is calculated from surveys that we take and is one of the reasons why our rankings are so high.
If you have any questions about Lancaster that I can help with at all, please let me know!
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Be-LEAVER_101
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hello,
University rankings take into account a lot of things, one of them being student satisfaction which is calculated from surveys that we take and is one of the reasons why our rankings are so high.
If you have any questions about Lancaster that I can help with at all, please let me know!
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Hi,
Would you have any idea of how good that physics department is?
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,
Would you have any idea of how good that physics department is?
Hello,
Erm it depends what you mean by good! What kind of things do you want to get out of a physics degree? What skills are important for you?
Lancaster is 2nd/4th/4th for Physics (depending on the league table). The league tables take into account quality of teaching, choice of modules and importantly student satisfaction. This indicates that the vast majority of students were satisfied with the course!
Charlotte
Be-LEAVER_101
Rep:
?
Hello,
Erm it depends what you mean by good! What kind of things do you want to get out of a physics degree? What skills are important for you?
Lancaster is 2nd/4th/4th for Physics (depending on the league table). The league tables take into account quality of teaching, choice of modules and importantly student satisfaction. This indicates that the vast majority of students were satisfied with the course!
Charlotte
The thing is....ranking wise, Lancaster seems to take the upper hand relative to RHUL for physics. However when I compared overall ratings via "discoveruni", with student satisfaction, teaching, management etc. RHUL is rated significantly high compared to Lancaster. As far I know ( I maybe wrong) but, discoveruni ranking takes into certain factors, while discoveruni breaks down every necessary factor. Anyways do u think....based on the results from discoveruni, I should finalize upon my choice?
Last edited by Be-LEAVER_101; 3 weeks ago
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The thing is....ranking wise, Lancaster seems to take the upper hand relative to RHUL for physics. However when I compared overall ratings via "discoveruni", with student satisfaction, teaching, management etc. RHUL is rated significantly high compared to Lancaster. As far I know ( I maybe wrong) but, discoveruni ranking takes into certain factors, while discoveruni breaks down every necessary factor. Anyways do u think....based on the results from discoveruni, I should finalize upon my choice?
Tbh, two very similar universities....

Royal Holloway is in London, thats its big advantage....you can be in London in 40 minutes.
It's fairly small and has a tight community feel.

Lancaster in 40 minutes you'll be still in middle of nowhere lol.
Lancaster does have a better name as far as employment goes...but good luck getting to an assessment day from there. The business school is well connected. (Reason I say that it because that's where you might end up working in that sector, rather than becoming a physicist... Many physics grads go into business, consultancy etc)

If your gonna use rankings,

Use times higher, QS, Shanghai academic, US News Global Universities. Anything else is suspect. Even though the rankings themselves are suspect lol (but I digress).

Imo Lancaster is probably better academically, it's part of more research groups and consortium's. Royal Holloway does cute research, but not the big boy stuff. Lancaster gets closer.

So if you want the purer better research university, go Lancaster it tries harder to offer that despite it's size. Have fun taking a 5 hr train to get an internship in 2nd year.

If you want an extremely expensive Surrey experience, because your already minted enough to go to London on the weekend then that's fine. But you do get London contacts and you are close to jobs.
Last edited by Realitysreflexx; 3 weeks ago
Be-LEAVER_101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Tbh, two very similar universities....

Royal Holloway is in London, thats its big advantage....you can be in London in 40 minutes.
It's fairly small and has a tight community feel.

Lancaster in 40 minutes you'll be still in middle of nowhere lol.
Lancaster does have a better name as far as employment goes...but good luck getting to an assessment day from there. The business school is well connected. (Reason I say that it because that's where you might end up working in that sector, rather than becoming a physicist... Many physics grads go into business, consultancy etc)

If your gonna use rankings,

Use times higher, QS, Shanghai academic, US News Global Universities. Anything else is suspect. Even though the rankings themselves are suspect lol (but I digress).

Imo Lancaster is probably better academically, it's part of more research groups and consortium's. Royal Holloway does cute research, but not the big boy stuff. Lancaster gets closer.

So if you want the purer better research university, go Lancaster it tries harder to offer that despite it's size. Have fun taking a 5 hr train to get an internship in 2nd year.

If you want an extremely expensive Surrey experience, because your already minted enough to go to London on the weekend then that's fine. But you do get London contacts and you are close to jobs.
Is your argument about Lancaster being more academically or research heavily based on the study of theoretical physics or is it general?
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is your argument about Lancaster being more academically or research heavily based on the study of theoretical physics or is it general?
That sort of goes hand in hand. I do know one thing though, Royal Holloway isn't an address for physics lol. It's a more artsy uni.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hmm that's interesting. Are you able to come and visit either of them?
I visited RHUL when I was looking at universities and they're very different.
RHUL is not in London and is not in the oyster zone so if you're commuting it could cost a lot. From what I remember, the campus is quite pretty, although its location will make it very very expensive. I have no idea what the local town is like!
Lancaster is located in the north west, the campus is more modern than RHUL (personal preference of what you like!), and in terms of prestige and research, I'd say Lancaster definitely has the edge. The town is quite small here, it's pretty and historic and will be a lot lot cheaper. But it's further from a big city (we're about 50 minutes from Manchester). You can talk to current Physics students here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/ They might be able to help with more specific questions.
Charlotte
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
RHUL is not in London and is not in the oyster zone so if you're commuting it could cost a lot. From what I remember, the campus is quite pretty, although its location will make it very very expensive. I have no idea what the local town is like!
The local town (Egham) is pretty dire and not very student friendly.

Although small, Lancaster's city centre is very student friendly (as I'm sure you know Charlotte!) - I would say Lancaster is the better uni unless OP has a strong preference to be in the south of England
Be-LEAVER_101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
That sort of goes hand in hand. I do know one thing though, Royal Holloway isn't an address for physics lol. It's a more artsy uni.
Erm, looks like Royal Holloway says they have the top 5 physics department in the country. I mean that says a lot....unless it is not okay to believe claims from particular universities cuz BIAS
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Erm, looks like Royal Holloway says they have the top 5 physics department in the country. I mean that says a lot....unless it is not okay to believe claims from particular universities cuz BIAS
This is why i get confused when people post these questions if you have decided RHUL is for you fine, i thought it sucked when i visited but you may love it.

I thought nottingham was simply cooler, more global lol.
Be-LEAVER_101
Rep:
?
S
(Original post by harrysbar)
The local town (Egham) is pretty dire and not very student friendly.

Although small, Lancaster's city centre is very student friendly (as I'm sure you know Charlotte!) - I would say Lancaster is the better uni unless OP has a strong preference to be in the south of England
I am super introverted and really ain't social. However, I can certainly try and adapt to it. So to ignite your social skills and getting more friends, you believe Lancaster is what I should aim for?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
S

I am super introverted and really ain't social. However, I can certainly try and adapt to it. So to ignite your social skills and getting more friends, you believe Lancaster is what I should aim for?
I'm sure you will be able to make friends at either place IF you put the effort in by talking to your flatmates, going to events and joining socieites.

I was just saying that Lancaster has a nicer city centre
Be-LEAVER_101
Rep:
?
Hmm that's interesting. Are you able to come and visit either of them?
I visited RHUL when I was looking at universities and they're very different.
Lancaster is located in the north west, the campus is more modern than RHUL (personal preference of what you like!), and in terms of prestige and research, I'd say Lancaster definitely has the edge. The town is quite small here, it's pretty and historic and will be a lot lot cheaper. But it's further from a big city (we're about 50 minutes from Manchester). You can talk to current Physics students here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/ They might be able to help with more specific questions.
Charlotte
Hey Charlotte,
Since u're a student rep for Lancaster, I'd like to ask 2 simple questions:
1) Is it possible to have catered options if one chooses to say Cartmel college which is ensuite and has a shared kitchen? If yes, what would be the total cost of living at a superior ensuite along with the catered accommodation?
2) Would you say Lancaster (overall) is cheaper compared to places such as Egham (where RHUL is situated)? Given Egham is in London but "NOT REALLY"...I'd reckon it to be cheaper than central London, but expensive than Lancaster?
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey Charlotte,
Since u're a student rep for Lancaster, I'd like to ask 2 simple questions:
1) Is it possible to have catered options if one chooses to say Cartmel college which is ensuite and has a shared kitchen? If yes, what would be the total cost of living at a superior ensuite along with the catered accommodation?
2) Would you say Lancaster (overall) is cheaper compared to places such as Egham (where RHUL is situated)? Given Egham is in London but "NOT REALLY"...I'd reckon it to be cheaper than central London, but expensive than Lancaster?
Hello,
Yes that's completely possible and at the moment costs £195.65 per week on a 40 week contract. You can find more info about catered accommodation here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/accommod...h-does-it-cost
Lancaster is definitely definitely cheaper. I'm from London and the cost of rent and services is so much cheaper than London and surrounding areas. Egham is in Surrey and most of the people living in those outskirts commute into London and probably are paid quite a bit so I imagine the cost of living is high - although I don't know for sure so do check yourself.
Lancaster rents in town are a lot cheaper, train travel in the north is a lot cheaper, the food and drink and cinemas etc as so much cheaper from London. Even the cities here (Manchester, Preston etc) are a lot cheaper. And no one actually lives in central London so in terms of where people live, I imagine Egham is one of the more expensive places.
Charlotte
Be-LEAVER_101
Rep:
?
Hello,
Yes that's completely possible and at the moment costs £195.65 per week on a 40 week contract. You can find more info about catered accommodation here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/accommod...h-does-it-cost
Lancaster is definitely definitely cheaper. I'm from London and the cost of rent and services is so much cheaper than London and surrounding areas. Egham is in Surrey and most of the people living in those outskirts commute into London and probably are paid quite a bit so I imagine the cost of living is high - although I don't know for sure so do check yourself.
Lancaster rents in town are a lot cheaper, train travel in the north is a lot cheaper, the food and drink and cinemas etc as so much cheaper from London. Even the cities here (Manchester, Preston etc) are a lot cheaper. And no one actually lives in central London so in terms of where people live, I imagine Egham is one of the more expensive places.
Charlotte
thx a lot for the awesome info.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (120)
28.57%
1 (65)
15.48%
2 (64)
15.24%
3 (68)
16.19%
4 (30)
7.14%
5 (27)
6.43%
6 (13)
3.1%
7+ (33)
7.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise