Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

About a month ago I discovered this forum, and posted a thread asking advice about going for a MSc in Imperial College or the University of Edinburgh.

I had already chosen the former when, the past week, I received an email from the 3rd University I was considering, merelly as a "backup" choice. They have also made me an unconditional offer from the University of Southampton.

Even though probably Imperial should still be my first choice, due to its reputation and academic quality of teaching, some doubts have come up because:

1. The Times Good University Guide 2009 considers Southampton the 2nd best Uni in the UK for Electronic and Electrical Engineering, just after Cambridge and before Imperial. Ant the MSc I'm interested in is related to this area!

2. A few days ago I also received an email from the Uni of Southampton in which they informed me I have been selected for a scholarship, thanks to which I will receive up to 5000 pounds, if I enter the Uni.

What do you think of all this?

Thanks in advance for any comment!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juriguen)
    The Times Good University Guide 2009 considers Southampton the 2nd best Uni in the UK for Electronic and Electrical Engineering, just after Cambridge and before Imperial. Ant the MSc I'm interested in is related to this area!!!
    Don't take league tables so literally. Southampton has got a solid electronic engineering department that is really growing in reputation. Even so, I wouldn't choose one uni over another just because it's ranked higher. Especially by one place!

Remember, the Times may rank it as second strongest. That doesn't make it second "best" as that is, in my opinion, more personal and subjective.

(Original post by juriguen)
    A few days ago I also received an email from the Uni of Southampton in which they informed me I have been selected for a scholarship, thanks to which I will receive up to 5000 pounds, if I enter the Uni
    Well, that would be a big bonus. How much difference would the 5 grand make? Would you still be able to afford the MSc without it? Would you have to take a larger loan if it wasn't offered (or you went to Imperial)?

Most importantly, what do you know of Southampton. The general location and the uni?

ReputationRep:
    River85

You're right, for sure, league tables should not be considered as the only condition to enter a University, that's why I'm asking advice in this forum!

Seriously, it's really more difficult than you might guess to get information from Spain about UK Universities and their MScs. The league tables were a great help when I began searching for Universities where I could study the MSc I had already chosen which, on the other hand, I hope is what I expect.

Anyway, I am almost decided to go to Imperial. And the scholarship is not determinant, I can afford the course and life costs for the next year. But it's at least something to take into account.

Imperial is better located for me from Spain (to travel some weekends), even though accomodation is far better in Southampton, much closer from the Uni itself. And London is a little bit more attractive to me than Southampton, for its various activities, day and night life and even sports.

Thank you very much for your opinion.

Any more suggestions are welcome!!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.