Poll: Pick the best one:
The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.
Boksr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
[For Accounting and Finance]
York/ Starthclyde/ Aberdeen/ Lancaster/ Newcastle

If possible give reasons for your rankings.
Last edited by Boksr; 1 year ago
DAV321
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1. York/Lancaster - York being more established historically; Lancaster becoming increasingly more established as a top uni
2. Newcastle - Solid Russel Group uni
3. Aberdeen - Good, fairly underrated uni
4. Strathclyde - Again newer uni so perhaps not perceived as well as others. Strong for STEM subjects nonetheless.

Honestly tho, the entire principle of ranking unis is flawed. Prestige is subjective and one cannot truly rank all unis unless they’ve attended each one. Instead, focus primarily on the course structure of each university in addition to the campus/city itself. Just because a university places highly in a league table or in someone’s personal “table,” doesn’t mean that it’s right for you.
Max1989
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What subject area were you considering as it varies greatly via that.

All are good uni's are good general sense and going to any would get you a good respected degree , but depends on the course to truly rank them.
Boksr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Max1989)
What subject area were you considering as it varies greatly via that.

All are good uni's are good general sense and going to any would get you a good respected degree , but depends on the course to truly rank them.
Accounting and finance with a year in industry at Lancaster & Newcastle. York's course is accounting, business finance and management with a year in industry as well. Aberdeen's course is an MA in accountancy and finance. Strathclyde's is BA accounting & finance.
Boksr
Rep:
?
(Original post by DAV321)
1. York/Lancaster - York being more established historically; Lancaster becoming increasingly more established as a top uni
2. Newcastle - Solid Russel Group uni
3. Aberdeen - Good, fairly underrated uni
4. Strathclyde - Again newer uni so perhaps not perceived as well as others. Strong for STEM subjects nonetheless.

Honestly tho, the entire principle of ranking unis is flawed. Prestige is subjective and one cannot truly rank all unis unless they’ve attended each one. Instead, focus primarily on the course structure of each university in addition to the campus/city itself. Just because a university places highly in a league table or in someone’s personal “table,” doesn’t mean that it’s right for you.
I completely agree. I'm just trying to get other people's opinions on this matter in order to make the best decision possible.
What should I focus on when looking at the course structure? I haven't properly delved into the world of accounting & finance, thus I'm not sure which modules I would enjoy the most. Should I be looking at the teaching and assesment methods then?
DAV321
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Boksr)
I completely agree. I'm just trying to get other people's opinions on this matter in order to make the best decision possible.
What should I focus on when looking at the course structure? I haven't properly delved into the world of accounting & finance, thus I'm not sure which modules I would enjoy the most. Should I be looking at the teaching and assesment methods then?
Teaching and assessment method is definitely a good place to start. Most accounting and finance courses are probably similar but some unis (e.g. Lancaster) offer a major/minor system during first year.
Boksr
Rep:
?
(Original post by DAV321)
Teaching and assessment method is definitely a good place to start. Most accounting and finance courses are probably similar but some unis (e.g. Lancaster) offer a major/minor system during first year.
Cool, thank you! Do you know anything about Starthclyde's BA accounting and finance and Aberdeen's MA accountancy and finance course? Are the courses different from a BSc (as in, are they more theoretically based) ? I've heard that in Scotland the BA/MA is the same as an BSc but they keep them "of Arts" for traditional reasons or something like that. Is that true?
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections

How to choose Firm and Insurance : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Boksr)

Hello,
Let me know if there's anything you'd like to know about Lancaster that will help you to make your decision.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Boksr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hello,
Let me know if there's anything you'd like to know about Lancaster that will help you to make your decision.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Well I'd love to know a bit more about the course structure. I applied for the Accounting and Finance (Industry) course, is it very theoretically based? I am not fond of memorisation, I much prefer practical work, problem solving and mathematical concepts. Thus, a course that has a lot of memorising and essay writing would not appeal to me. Also, is the dissertation during Year 3 (placement year) obligatory? And if so, how difficult is it? Heard loads of negative things about dissertations, including that it's better not to do one given the choice.
aleml
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Overall:
York
lancaster
Newcastle & Strathclyde
Aberdeen

A&F
Strathclyde
Newcastle
Lancaster
York
Aberdeen

Strathclydes probably the best since its always been ranked in the top 3. Basically gives you direct entry into the big 4 and the likes of jpmorgan/morgan stanley since theyre based in glasgow. I know pwc run a high flyers programme at newcastle which guarantees a job after uni. Aberdeens a good uni too but probably wouldn't be on the same level as the other universities overall or for A&F. However, that won't matter if your wanting a job in aberdeen because Aberdeen has some big accounting firms with offices there which would happily hire you.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Boksr)
Well I'd love to know a bit more about the course structure. I applied for the Accounting and Finance (Industry) course, is it very theoretically based? I am not fond of memorisation, I much prefer practical work, problem solving and mathematical concepts. Thus, a course that has a lot of memorising and essay writing would not appeal to me. Also, is the dissertation during Year 3 (placement year) obligatory? And if so, how difficult is it? Heard loads of negative things about dissertations, including that it's better not to do one given the choice.
Since I don't study accounting and finance, I'd suggest you chat to an A&F student which you can contact through uni buddy: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/ - there's one student on there currently so he should be able to give you an idea on the amount of memorising versus practical.
Dissertations have pros and cons - they can be worth a large chunk of your degree and people usually do well on them as you get 1:1 help and guidance from your supervisor. It can help to bump up your grade a lot.
Charlotte
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Boksr)

York
lancaster/newcastle
Aberdeen
Starthcylde
Boksr
Rep:
?
Since I don't study accounting and finance, I'd suggest you chat to an A&F student which you can contact through uni buddy: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/ - there's one student on there currently so he should be able to give you an idea on the amount of memorising versus practical.
Dissertations have pros and cons - they can be worth a large chunk of your degree and people usually do well on them as you get 1:1 help and guidance from your supervisor. It can help to bump up your grade a lot.
Charlotte
Thanks!!
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,

I'm Charlie, one of the Lancaster University student ambassadors on here. I'm currently in my 2nd year of a degree in Finance & Economics. This means that the breakdown of my modules is 50% Accounting & Finance (AcF) and 50% Economics.

Personally, I have found that I have really enjoyed all of my AcF modules. The lecturers really know their stuff and are able to communicate it in a way that someone who had never studied AcF before, like myself, could easily understand. The workshops and tutorials always delve deeper into the content covered within the previous week's lectures; I find this helps me to learn how to apply my knowledge properly. The revision lectures at the end of the year were also really helpful for the final exams, for 1st year at least.

I hope this helps you with your decision making,
Charlie
Boksr
Rep:
?
Hey,

I'm Charlie, one of the Lancaster University student ambassadors on here. I'm currently in my 2nd year of a degree in Finance & Economics. This means that the breakdown of my modules is 50% Accounting & Finance (AcF) and 50% Economics.

Personally, I have found that I have really enjoyed all of my AcF modules. The lecturers really know their stuff and are able to communicate it in a way that someone who had never studied AcF before, like myself, could easily understand. The workshops and tutorials always delve deeper into the content covered within the previous week's lectures; I find this helps me to learn how to apply my knowledge properly. The revision lectures at the end of the year were also really helpful for the final exams, for 1st year at least.

I hope this helps you with your decision making,
Charlie
Thank you!! I think I'll firm Lancaster
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.32%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.58%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
18.92%

Watched Threads