Extremely overprotective mum ruining my life

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi 19/F

I come from a single mother household and I have 4 siblings whom I live with. My mum had me when she was 16. She was always physically/mentally abusive to me as a child. However now that I’m older it’s basically only mental abuse.

I’m not allowed to go anywhere except for work and uni. I get paid on the last Friday of every month and she tells me to send the money I make to her bank account and she gives me £20 every week to use for transport, lunch and whatnot.

As my phone number is part of her contract she looks at every number I call/text and at the end of every week she asks me who I called/texted and what it was for.

She goes through all the pictures on my phone - one time I had a rude meme and she made me explain it to her then she took away my phone for 24 hours.

In the summer time I have to cover my legs (it’s not a religious or cultural thing, she just won’t let me show them). Even when it’s a heatwave.

She never cooks either, she always buys freezer food and I hate it. I don’t have enough money or freedom to go Asda and get things to cook. I want to stay healthy so the best thing I can do right now is get off my bus early and walk (which is not nice in this weather).

The first and last time I went out with my friends she made me leave my live location on Whatsapp and she kept video calling to see me with my friends. She kept texting/calling me to point that I had to run to the toilets to cry. I was so embarrassed.

Whenever I ask her for some of my money to buy something nice I see online she’s always like “don’t be stupid, you don’t need that”.

I really wanted to stay in the uni dorms or a rented place but she said no. She said I’m only allowed to do what I want when I have a proper career (I want to be a barrister).

I have relatives that live a few miles away. I’m thinking on January the 1st to just run away to them and completely cut my mum out of my life. I wanted to do that before but all my siblings are younger than me and I love them, they love me, they mean the world to me and I’ll miss them so much (she’s not here at the moment, so I’m watching them).

However I will be 20 soon and I just honestly can’t see myself living like this any longer.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well if you have somewhere good to go to then that's the best idea. If someone is toxic then cut them off, regardless of your connection to them.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Well if you have somewhere good to go to then that's the best idea. If someone is toxic then cut them off, regardless of your connection to them.
Thank you for your reply, I guess I will do it.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I just want to know how it went because I’m in a similar position. My mother threatened to kick me out and I’ll have nowhere to go. I told my teacher and they said they would talk to me about it but they never did.
Alicethegirl:)
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bump
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.56%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.15%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.6%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (49)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.69%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise