Turn on thread page Beta

Would guys be put off by a lack of experience? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr-breaker)
    Sampling bias ftw

lol what do you mean there?

ReputationRep:
    Well.. Boys that i have talked to about this dont seem to mind at all... Infact most guys like to know that a girl hasnt been a slut! Plus to be honest.. during the actual sexin a boy wont have a clue how much experience youve had or not... its maaiinnllyy with the boy that you can tell if he knows what hes doing or not...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilac23)
    lol what do you mean there?
    Literally, sampling bias occurs when data in a survey is misinterpreted because of the way it was collected.

To give a better example: If 19 of my friends and I went on holiday, and there happened to be 20 chicks where we were going. One chick has sex with ALL of us (:zomg:/:indiff:/:woo:- delete as applicable) . 19 chicks have sex with none of us. If we get back and start chatting about the adventures we all had, to assume that all the chicks out there are as loose as the one chick that got around would be a case of sampling bias, given the reality that 20 guys can talk about their summer shag, but only one chick can.

In the case of ~haze~, she is basing her assumption on what TWO of her friends said, and ignoring emphirical evidence. As I've said before, there are plenty of guys out there that won't hold her status against her. If she hasn't found one yet then either she is being too selective (either rejecting perfectly good guys who will wait, or rejecting BETTER guys who won't wait for her) or if she is doing all the right things, it could be a case of variance, in which she has to just keep on getting out there, and keep doing the right things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXChaosXx)
    Well.. Boys that i have talked to about this dont seem to mind at all... Infact most guys like to know that a girl hasnt been a slut! Plus to be honest.. during the actual sexin a boy wont have a clue how much experience youve had or not... its maaiinnllyy with the boy that you can tell if he knows what hes doing or not...
    It might be an age thing?

ReputationRep:
    Literally, sampling bias occurs when data in a survey is misinterpreted because of the way it was collected.
    LOL, I didn't ask what it meant literally; I asked you what you meant in relation to what you had quoted!

]In the case of ~haze~, she is basing her assumption on what TWO of her friends said, and ignoring emphirical evidence. As I've said before, there are plenty of guys out there that won't hold her status against her. If she hasn't found one yet then either she is being too selective (either rejecting perfectly good guys who will wait, or rejecting BETTER guys who won't wait for her) or if she is doing all the right things, it could be a case of variance, in which she has to just keep on getting out there, and keep doing the right things!
    Okay, hang on, the BETTER guys will NOT wait?! I assume you are talking about looks then? You're implying that the more good looking the guy, the less likely he is to wait, is that right?
    But surely that is not necessarily true?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, hang on, the BETTER guys will NOT wait?!
    What I mean is there are guys she has a stronger attraction to (sexually, emotionally, whatever), but she won't get with those guys because they won't wait for sex as long as she wants to wait. Unless their attraction to her is as strong (stronger, imo), they are more likely to take the higher variance route and find somebody else.

This isn't to denigrate ~haze~ in any way..........I don't know her or her situation well enough to do that!

ReputationRep:
    What I mean is there are guys she has a stronger attraction to (sexually, emotionally, whatever), but she won't get with those guys because they won't wait for sex as long as she wants to wait. Unless their attraction to her is as strong (stronger, imo), they are more likely to take the higher variance route and find somebody else.

This isn't to denigrate ~haze~ in any way..........I don't know her or her situation well enough to do that!
    erm ok
    she did say that they found it weird that she was a virgin though and that is why they broke up, not because they were unwilling to wait.

ReputationRep:

they seemed pretty attracted, but were weirded out when they found out i was a virgin.

ReputationRep:
    and most guys aren't willing to wait these days, it has nothing to with good guys or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    she did say that they found it weird that she was a virgin though and that is why they broke up, not because they were unwilling to wait.
    As hard as it is, see it from the guys point of view. If he is presented with a woman who at the age of 21 is still a virgin, what is he going to think?

* "she's a virgin.......she's waiting for marriage......I'm not, and for that reason, i'm out!"

* "she's a virgin........she overvalues her status........she will be TOO hooked if she has sex with me and i'm not amoral enough to hit it and run....for that reason, i'm out!"

* "she's a virgin......if she hasn't had sex by now there must be something wrong with her........for that reason, i'm out!"

* "she's a virgin......she's waiting for someone special.....that ain't me so for that reason, i'm out!"

* "she's a virgin.....that's not a problem. Let's proceed".

* "she's a virgin.....she hasn't slept around....that's great!"

And so on and so forth.

This goes back to the sampling bias issue. Just because a FEW guys ran away, doesn't make it standard behaviour. All it means is that:

i) The guys she is meeting are putting the pieces together in their heads based upon the information they receive, and making their decision on how to proceed. They don't agree with her philosophy.......they leave.

ii) She's going after the wrong guys.

and most guys aren't willing to wait these days, it has nothing to with good guys or whatever.
    Well that much is true. So how is she going to proceed?

ReputationRep:
    now that's nice. lol

ReputationRep:
    As hard as it is, see it from the guys point of view. If he is presented with a woman who at the age of 21 is still a virgin, what is he going to think?

usually they don't even let me tell them why :rolleyes:
    It's simply foolish to presume there's something wrong
    I know a couple of women who're older than me, still virgins, perfectly normal and not waiting till marriage either.

ReputationRep:

Well that much is true. So how is she going to proceed?
    erm really don't know!

ReputationRep:
    because it's impossible to really know what one particular guy thinks of her virginity!

ReputationRep:
    Inexperience in a woman doesn't bother most men I don't think? It just means the guy has no pressure to live up to, about his performance.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of a prospective one-night stand? Possibly; being someone's 'first time' outside of a committed relationship is potentially an emotional minefield, and I'm really not that desperate for sex.

Otherwise? Of course not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXChaosXx)
    Indeed. Be thankful that most men are easily pleased and hence can afford not to care that you're essentially clueless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarve99)
    Inexperience in a woman doesn't bother most men I don't think? It just means the guy has no pressure to live up to, about his performance.
    read some the posts here. Guys often break up over it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    In terms of a prospective one-night stand? Possibly; being someone's 'first time' outside of a committed relationship is potentially an emotional minefield, and I'm really not that desperate for sex.

Otherwise? Of course not.
    seemed to bother the guys I've been with(in relationships). said they wanted someone who knew what she was doing and wasn't clueless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~haze~)
    seemed to bother the guys I've been with(in relationships).
    I can't think of a reason that isn't either shallow or paranoid as to why it would.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.