Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At the moment i'm doing Psychology, ICT and Relgious studies - i find them ok and i'm thinking of picking an As next year , these are the subjects i can get into:

Applied Business
    Design and Technology
    Food Technology
    Government and Politics
    Latin
    Sports Studies
    Music Technology
    Classical Civilisation
    English Literature
    Modern History
    Economics and Business Studies
    Film Studies
    Sociology

Which one of these stands out?

ReputationRep:
    English Lit, Government and Politics, Latin, Classical Civilisation, Modern History. All very respected.

ReputationRep:
    Can i ask why you want to pick up an extra AS? It is extra work but won't help with meeting any offers.

Out of those i would say Latin, English Lit, History and Economics are the most respected. But obviously it is up to you to decide which you think you'd enjoy the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schrodinger's cat)
    Can i ask why you want to pick up an extra AS? It ios extra work but won't help with meeting any offers.

Out of those i would say Latin, English Lit, History and Economics are the most respected. But obviously it is up to you to decide which you think you'd enjoy the most.
    I thought it might , i think i screwed my religious studies exam up and i just wanted to pick another AS or is it worth concentrating on the current a-levels , try to get AAA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Sparrow)
    I thought it might , i think i screwed my religious studies exam up and i just wanted to pick another AS or is it worth concentrating on the current a-levels , try to get AAA
    Well this is just my opinion and i havn't been in the same situation as you (i took 5 at AS, 4 at A2) but the way i see it; you would still have to continue with r.s. because you need at least 3 full A2s and the benefits to an application from an extra AS only really come from when you already have the grade in it (i.e. in first year). So i don't really see its use? If you are applying to a uni that requires (or prefers) an extra AS then that is different, i was just wondering your reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely try to get AAA. Do you have another AS from year 12? If so, I say don't bother taking another one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chevina)
    Definitely try to get AAA. Do you have another AS from year 12? If so, I say don't bother taking another one.
    I dont have one from last year , i've only got three AS's , if i got AAA but i re-took alot of units would it still be considerd good? I can get B's with no retakes and A's if i re- take

ReputationRep:
    I dont have one from last year , i've only got three AS's , if i got AAA but i re-took alot of units would it still be considerd good? I can get B's with no retakes and A's if i re- take
    Yeah, AAA is definitely very good. Have in mind that some universities ask for a fourth AS - I know Warwick and UCL often do.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldn't bother picking up another.

ReputationRep:
    if ur doin psychology then sociology is closely rel8ed so i wudnt bother with that

ReputationRep:
    eng lit for sure

ReputationRep:
    I picked up Further Maths AS this year because I thought it would enhance my application. However, I emailed the universities I chose and none of them raved about the idea. I dropped it after a term, and concentrated on getting AAA, and think it was the right choice!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.