Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm doing computer science at Kings and i was wondering when is the best time to apply for summer internships? I will begin my second year in september, and was thinking of places like jpmorgan, accenture, logika, goldman sachs etc.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Many summer intern applications open around December 1st, and many close either end of Jan or Feb. The sooner the better to apply if possible, otherwise over the Xmas holidays is fine.

ReputationRep:
    Is it usually very competitive - what are the chances of getting one secured?

(Original post by Brown Patrick Bateman)
    Many summer intern applications open around December 1st, and many close either end of Jan or Feb. The sooner the better to apply if possible, otherwise over the Xmas holidays is fine.
    Things have changed a bit. Applications open in September now.

And you want to apply by the end of November.

Competitive stuff these days. Now, more than ever.

(Original post by gam3r)
    Is it usually very competitive - what are the chances of getting one secured?
    Varies from about 1% to 10% depending on the firm, position applied for and yourself - of course.

ReputationRep:
    chances of getting an internship with 3 B's at A level, studying engineering at Cardiff university? Low right? negligible? is it even worth wasting 2 hours on each application?

Got a contact in deuchbank which is my only hope really... agree?

(Original post by shuvle)
    agree?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Yes.
    good good.

Anyone got any alternative recommendations if I don’t manage to secure an internship?

This summer I worked in an accountant’s office, but next summer I would like to start channeling my CV specifically towards investment banking. What about moving to the city and temping? LSE summer school? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    how many internships should we be applying to to insure we secure one?
    and, is there any websites that offer information about what companies offer?

ReputationRep:
    im at cardiff and have got an intern with EY this summer, made about 10 applications, 2 offers (accenture was the other)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thee_One)
    im at cardiff and have got an intern with EY this summer, made about 10 applications, 2 offers (accenture was the other)
    did you make any to IB's though?

ReputationRep:
    Ceteris:
    I think the word you're looking for is ensure.

You can't apply to a certain number to ensure you get an internship.

If you apply to 25 banks and have CCC at A-level, got to Liverpool Hope and study Media with Telecommunications, you won't get in.

On the other hand, if you go to Cambridge, have spent a week on the FI floor, for example, have a first year internship and AAAAAA at A-level you should be OK.

It all depends on you.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, ensure is the word - thanks!

And, I have AAAb in Alevels, go to a lower top 10 uni for economics where i got a strong 2.1 in first year (one of the best results in the department incidently) so hopefully i will be predicted a first for my degree. I need to work a bit on extra curriculars, but i do have some noteworthy stuff, and a few work experience placements albeit not in finance.

How many internships should i apply for?

Are there any that people would recommend as being a good insurance choice? i.e easier to get onto with my level of qualification.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ceteris paribus)
    how many internships should we be applying to to insure we secure one?
    How many internships should i apply for?
    fine, i'll tell you! the magic number is 7.

out of interest, how could a 2.1 be one of the best results in your subject? surely there's like... people who got firsts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    fine, i'll tell you! the magic number is 7.

out of interest, how could a 2.1 be one of the best results in your subject? surely there's like... people who got firsts?

No need for the sarcasm, i was just looking for a rough idea of how most people in my situation go about dealing with internships.

A high 2.1 was one of the best results, because the other people did get firsts. Not many people got firsts this year compared to last because one of our modules had a new (and crappy) lecturer which yielded low results and they didn't seem to compensate for it.

ReputationRep:
    A high 2.1 was one of the best results, because the other people did get firsts. Not many people got firsts this year compared to last because one of our modules had a new (and crappy) lecturer which yielded low results and they didn't seem to compensate for it.
    Yah right, your lecturer was the reason you got bad results. Just admit that you didn't work hard enough/weren't smart enough.

ReputationRep:
    well, i got a first in that module as it happens, i'm just assuming thats why a lot of other people did badly.

ReputationRep:
    I know it is better to apply before the end of November...
    But is it because they scan the applications as soon as they receive them and once they have found enough people for interviews, they just stop checking the other applications?
    Or is there another reason?

So basically applying in December would be a true disadvantage?

Finally, is it possible to update the resume even after you have submitted the application?

Thanks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Things have changed a bit. Applications open in September now.

And you want to apply by the end of November.

Competitive stuff these days. Now, more than ever.
    Applications for summer internships open in September? Yikes.

(Original post by vigorsol)
    I know it is better to apply before the end of November...
    But is it because they scan the applications as soon as they receive them and once they have found enough people for interviews, they just stop checking the other applications?
    Or is there another reason?

So basically applying in December would be a true disadvantage?

Finally, is it possible to update the resume even after you have submitted the application?

Thanks...
    Once the graduate class recruitment is done, the intern class recruitment process gets underway. And grad class recruitment is a pretty quick process these days because they don't need to hire quite so many grads anymore...

...as for updating, I don't think so. You are best off 'pre-updating'. Load it up with what you will have done by the time an interview comes around. They started last year in late November/early December at the very earliest - which I found surprising. A couple years ago, it was surprising that anyone got an internship interview in December.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.