Is Clearing Risky, in my situation? Watch

Sarah_Andrews
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
#1
Basically, i've messed up all my UCAS Choices.. Don't want to go to any of them.. long story. But am i taking a huge risk by considering Clearing as an option, Since at results day i will be declining my Firm and Insurance, as i no longer want to go to either of them.

Or do i phone up as many Universities first hand to ensure a place, then decline my Firm and Insurance? To be on the safe side.

If i do it the other way by declining my Firm and Insurance first, i will have no University at all, and that is beginning to scare me.

What do i do?
Thanks in advance!
0
quote
reply
lilac spooge
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#2
Report 10 years ago
#2
I'm pretty sure if you decline your first and insurance choices after they've given you and offer you cant not entre clearing. However if you cancel them now then you can (can someone cofirm this for me?)

If you dont want to go to either of your choices, decline them now and then enter clearing. If you dont get anything you want, take a gap year and then reapply. Do not go to Uni for the sake of it. If you dont like the place your going to dont go! Its a complete waste of money! Wait and reapply.
0
quote
reply
Sarah_Andrews
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#3
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
#3
Just to clear.. I'm not going University for the sake of it :P
0
quote
reply
Greatleysteg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#4
Report 10 years ago
#4
You should be able to ask your universities to release you if you call up on results day, then you'll be issued with a clearing passport once UCAS know.
0
quote
reply
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#5
Report 10 years ago
#5
I suggest you read the wiki and sticky threads on the subject. If you really don't want to go to either of your offers then it would be much better to get released now so that you will get into clearing with no delays.
0
quote
reply
jacy_babi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#6
Report 10 years ago
#6
(Original post by Sarah_Andrews)
Basically, i've messed up all my UCAS Choices.. Don't want to go to any of them.. long story. But am i taking a huge risk by considering Clearing as an option, Since at results day i will be declining my Firm and Insurance, as i no longer want to go to either of them.

Or do i phone up as many Universities first hand to ensure a place, then decline my Firm and Insurance? To be on the safe side.

If i do it the other way by declining my Firm and Insurance first, i will have no University at all, and that is beginning to scare me.

What do i do?
Thanks in advance!
You can decline them now. I declined my insurance. Im pretty sure that if you don't decline your offers before results day then you won't be able to go through clearing
0
quote
reply
Sarah_Andrews
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#7
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
#7
Can someone confirm this?

When am i eligible for clearing? If i decline my offers now or on results day?
0
quote
reply
sax gal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#8
Report 10 years ago
#8
can't you go into ucas extra before clearing - where universities advertise their courses that have places left over? Sarah i would suggest you call a university that you do want to go to, speak to the course tutor of the course you want to do and ask what the procedure would be if you wanted to go there but have offers from different universities- if they have a place left maybe they would consider you? alternatively phone ucas they would give you the correct procedure
0
quote
reply
free_one
Badges: 0
#9
Report 10 years ago
#9
(Original post by lilac spooge)
I'm pretty sure if you decline your first and insurance choices after they've given you and offer you cant not entre clearing.
If you decline your firm and insurance before results day, you'll be in for 'extra'. That's what I thought anyway!
I'm actually planning this, but it depends on my results so I'm hoping you can decline on results day - however you'll need to do a lot of planning beforehand.

Best thing to do is to call UCAS, I think I might, actually. Otherwise I'm in trouble...
0
quote
reply
Sarah_Andrews
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#10
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
#10
Free_One! Thats what i want to do, base my university decision on my results. But i am planning beforehand, i will phone a few universites to see if they will consider me!
0
quote
reply
free_one
Badges: 0
#11
Report 10 years ago
#11
(Original post by Sarah_Andrews)
Free_One! Thats what i want to do, base my university decision on my results. But i am planning beforehand, i will phone a few universites to see if they will consider me!
It's soo good to talk to someone who's planning the same thing as me!!!
I've seen people talk (on TSR) about vaguely similar situations, but not exactly the same...

It all depends on my grades, and if I don't get the grades I want, then I won't mind going to my firm choice that I have at the moment - so it wouldn't be a case of me going just for the sake of going to uni.
0
quote
reply
Sarah_Andrews
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#12
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
#12
What is your firm btw? Mines Sheffied, but i want to go to Birmingham
0
quote
reply
free_one
Badges: 0
#13
Report 10 years ago
#13
(Original post by Sarah_Andrews)
What is your firm btw? Mines Sheffied, but i want to go to Birmingham
Mines Kent (doing biochemistry), but I want to do Chemical Engineering (I have a few ideas where, but it depends if there are any places in clearing).
But to be honest, I don't want to lose my firm if there aren't any places for ChemE in clearing. I could always go and do a masters on ChemE later on if I wish (again, it all depends on grades... grades, grades, grades )
0
quote
reply
lilac spooge
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#14
Report 10 years ago
#14
(Original post by free_one)
If you decline your firm and insurance before results day, you'll be in for 'extra'. That's what I thought anyway!
I'm actually planning this, but it depends on my results so I'm hoping you can decline on results day - however you'll need to do a lot of planning beforehand.

Best thing to do is to call UCAS, I think I might, actually. Otherwise I'm in trouble...
Yeah thats what i meant in a badly worded way
0
quote
reply
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
#15
Report 10 years ago
#15
Yep if memory serves if somewhere has accepted you on results day you can't go into clearing, so you need to decline now.
0
quote
reply
free_one
Badges: 0
#16
Report 10 years ago
#16
(Original post by Bekaboo)
Yep if memory serves if somewhere has accepted you on results day you can't go into clearing, so you need to decline now.
Are you sure!? agh, this sucks.
It's such a big risk, because if it was the way I thought it was, I wouldn't have to take any unnecessary risks...
0
quote
reply
Sarah_Andrews
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#17
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
#17
Nah.. What it is.. if you decline your firm and insurancd on results day.. you qualify for clearing
0
quote
reply
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#18
Report 10 years ago
#18
(Original post by Sarah_Andrews)
Nah.. What it is.. if you decline your firm and insurancd on results day.. you qualify for clearing
You do, but you may take some time to get into clearing. There will be less delay (and more opporunity to snap up those valuable places) if you withdraw before results day.
0
quote
reply
Sarah_Andrews
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#19
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
#19
But omg if i withdraw my offers now..i have no university to go to if you think about.. i mean what if clearing flops. This thought is actually scaring me!
0
quote
reply
gyrase
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#20
Report 10 years ago
#20
You are .. doomed!
0
quote
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (153)
27.42%
No (405)
72.58%

Watched Threads

View All