The Student Room Group

Big Age Gap! - Advice?

So, first of all, I'm 17 and I will be 18 in April next year. I met this guy, who is 26.

We went on a few dates together, and the age gap didn't really bother me, I am very mature for my age, we both have the same interests, and get on very well.

After the first few weeks of 'seeing each other', he told me that he had fallen in love with me, and wanted us to be together properly. Since then, I have completely fallen for him, and I am VERY happy with how things are going between us, and I really feel that he might be 'the one', even though I'm very young to be thinking this.

I'v never met someone who is so similar to me, and who I love everything about. Recently, he has started suggesting we go on holiday together, and often talks about us getting married and having children one day.

He also has a 4 year old daughter (from a one night stand) which I do not have a problem with.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Or has anyone been through a similar experience and has any advice?

Although I really do love him, the age gap is always in the back of my mind!

Please help!
Reply 1
you shouldnt worry about what people think of the relationship but the important question is; can you get over the age gap?
Reply 2
well if the relationship is going smoothly i wouldn't worry! i mean its 8 years... i know people with bigger age gaps then that and they are perfectly happy
that's really quite scary. i was in the same situation with a guy who sounds scarily similar to yours just a month ago.
the only difference is didn't end nicely, because i found out he'd lied to me and was actually 29.
anyway, i think you should just go for it. if you feel you really like him etc, then why not? who gives a toss what others think? an age gap like that isn't too bad. even if it doesn't work out, at least you can say you tried.
Reply 4
I know 8 or 9 years isn't such a big age gap, but whilst I'm under 18, it seems so much worse...
Anonymous
but whilst I'm under 18, it seems so much worse...

i know how you feel. i'm 17 too, and while 26 felt a bit strange, when i found out he was actually 29 it just felt wrong. that, and the way he kept parading me around to his mates like i was some kind of showpiece to prove that he still had 'it'.
just think, you'll be 18 next april, which isn't too far away. if you feel you can carry on with the relationship even with the age problem, then go ahead. if you can't, then maybe best to end it, or ask if he'd wait til you were 18 and then start going out again?
oh ffs are these age gap threads ever going to end?!!!! if your happy **** what everyone else thinks!!!
Reply 7
As other people have said the most important thing is that you are happy in the relationship and that the age gap doesn't bother you. However the one word of warning that I have is that while the age gap isn't a big deal now he will possibly reach the age where he wants to be having children and settling down sooner than you do. Not necissarly the case but possible. Make sure that at every stage of your relationship things are not moving too fast for you and you aren't taking steps that you aren't ready to take. For the mean time just enjoy the wonderful thing that is a new relationship :smile:
Forget the age difference, the guy sounds like a complete ****. Don't be blinded, and don't think he is your dream man.
pink_lucie
oh ffs are these age gap threads ever going to end?!!!! if your happy **** what everyone else thinks!!!

It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks, anyway - if they're seen out, unless they're holdings hands, people would probably think he's her older brother or even father, depending on how old he looks.

It's about how she feels.

OP, as long as you're the one in control of things, and you don't at any point feel pressured into doing anything, or as if things are moving too fast then don't worry.
Reply 10
My Mum met my Dad when she was 18, the same age differance as you and your boyfriend, they're still together now, about a million years later.

Latest

Trending

Trending