ni98m
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Not sure whether to do ACCA or CIMA, could someone tell me the main differences? the difference in how much you can earn and in terms of difficulty doing the exams / the future job? Thank you
Seba.fr1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am doing ACA so I don’t know exactly, but my understanding is CIMA is more focused on management accounting. Management accounting is working for a company and working to improve their sales, profitability, reduce their costs, as well of course managing and preparing their accounts. You could maybe describe it as more ‘business-y’.
ACCA i would see as more accountancy based - ie. preparing accounts, tax, audit/assurance. But tbh, both are going to have to cover the fundamentals and have a lot of crossover.
From what I have seen, most jobs that ask for a CIMA candidate would accept ACCA, but there are ACCA jobs that won’t accept CIMA. These would be in assurance, tax, etc. I work for a Big 4 (who do ACA) and when they are recruiting people who are already qualified they ask for ACA or ACCA.
Overall I’d say ACCA would have the advantage if you want to keep options open, and perhaps slightly increase earning potential, but go for CIMA if you’re fairly sure you want to go into management accountancy, or if you really want to work for a particular company who offer CIMA.
Both are great qualifications and will earn you a good salary on qualification.
ni98m
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Seba.fr1)
I am doing ACA so I don’t know exactly, but my understanding is CIMA is more focused on management accounting. Management accounting is working for a company and working to improve their sales, profitability, reduce their costs, as well of course managing and preparing their accounts. You could maybe describe it as more ‘business-y’.
ACCA i would see as more accountancy based - ie. preparing accounts, tax, audit/assurance. But tbh, both are going to have to cover the fundamentals and have a lot of crossover.
From what I have seen, most jobs that ask for a CIMA candidate would accept ACCA, but there are ACCA jobs that won’t accept CIMA. These would be in assurance, tax, etc. I work for a Big 4 (who do ACA) and when they are recruiting people who are already qualified they ask for ACA or ACCA.
Overall I’d say ACCA would have the advantage if you want to keep options open, and perhaps slightly increase earning potential, but go for CIMA if you’re fairly sure you want to go into management accountancy, or if you really want to work for a particular company who offer CIMA.
Both are great qualifications and will earn you a good salary on qualification.
Thank you so much!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (104)
27.51%
England (127)
33.6%
Belgium (30)
7.94%
Germany (40)
10.58%
Spain (8)
2.12%