The Student Room Group

Mum called me perverse for being gay

We got into a debate about my sexuality and this came out; I can’t really help the way I feel toward the same sex and it kinda upset me. I feel like cutting off contact with her

Scroll to see replies

That's a big, hefty 19th century word.

Tells us a lot about which era she's living in.
Am sorry to hear that's horrible :jumphug: there is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay and don't let anyone tell you otherwise :hugs:
Don't do anything drastic. She could come around on the idea with a bit of time.
Reply 4
Original post by sinfonietta
Don't do anything drastic. She could come around on the idea with a bit of time.

I’m pissed off with her constant emotional and psychological abuse. She calls herself a Christian but honestly anyone looking at her behaviour would want to become a satanist.
Reply 5
Original post by CoolCavy
Am sorry to hear that's horrible :jumphug: there is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay and don't let anyone tell you otherwise :hugs:

thank you 😊
Reply 6
The church is full of gay people unless she is a fundamentalist. Is there anyone you both respect who could mediate?
Reply 7
Original post by TCL
The church is full of gay people unless she is a fundamentalist. Is there anyone you both respect who could mediate?

Highly unlikely, unless it was one of her pastors. According to her all unbelievers are stupid and dead and not worth listening too.
this is slightly left to your deal, but im trans personally. i havent had to deal with religious influences but i know it took about 3 years for my mum to even consider trying to use the correct name
it can be difficult, and if i had to guess id say youre currently living with her
my best advice would be this: dont cut her off, but dont give her free roam either. if you have this conversation again and things get heated, do your best to just say calmly 'i think we both need to calm down before we speak more' and leave the room if possible
having to be the bigger person with your parents really sucks, but if you have kids there will be a day where they may have to do the same to you. recognise that if/when you move out (if you are cohabiting) distance will make things easier, and make it so keeping you as a child is her choice, but you dont have to make the final decision on keeping her as a mother
wish you the best!
(edited 4 years ago)
Your mum is upset and has made a throwaway comment. She'll get used to it
She honestly manages to ruin and twist everything; I am sick of her emotional and physical abuse. She was going on about God making biscuits disappear and red wine turning into blood prior to this arguement, not to mention God making her a millionaire this time next year. My gf sent her a lovely card and she managed to ***** and whine about that too. I'm ****ing sick of her and I don't even live with her

Original post by Christian Fuchs
Your mum is upset and has made a throwaway comment. She'll get used to it

Original post by princetonalec
this is slightly left to your deal, but im trans personally. i havent had to deal with religious influences but i know it took about 3 years for my mum to even consider trying to use the correct name
it can be difficult, and if i had to guess id say youre currently living with her
my best advice would be this: dont cut her off, but dont give her free roam either. if you have this conversation again and things get heated, do your best to just say calmly 'i think we both need to calm down before we speak more' and leave the room if possible
having to be the bigger person with your parents really sucks, but if you have kids there will be a day where they may have to do the same to you. recognise that if/when you move out (if you are cohabiting) distance will make things easier, and make it so keeping you as a child is her choice, but you dont have to make the final decision on keeping her as a mother
wish you the best!
i fully understand that youre upset. it sucks when the one person who is meant to love us unconditionally starts adding caveats to letting us access that love
please do yourself a favour and just spend 10 minutes calming down. speak to your girlfriend or watch something on youtube, and just breath. perspective will help you tackle this infinitely more than rage
i fully understand that youre upset. it sucks when the one person who is meant to love us unconditionally starts adding caveats to letting us access that love
please do yourself a favour and just spend 10 minutes calming down. speak to your girlfriend or watch something on youtube, and just breath. perspective will help you tackle this infinitely more than rage

I honestly want to flip her off out of my life; I've told her that I don't want to speak to her for a while; she has to understand I don't need negativity in my life
and it makes peefect sense to want to do that, but this is why im suggesting you just sit down for a few minutes and breath
if you flip, and get angry, and start screaming, and start saying 'i will never talk to you again!!!' you justify what your mother has said to you
but if you react calmly and professionally, remove yourself when annoyed, and stop engaging when she tries to cause arguments, you leave the only person with any improvement to be made as her
its really difficult to do, and screaming into a pillow might help get those initial bursts out. but trust me, in the long run patience really will change so much of the situation
Remember this is your mum. You should always put her first before any relationships. She is so important and you must make the most of every moment with her. She will realise how important you are to her as well
Remember this is your mum. You should always put her first before any relationships. She is so important and you must make the most of every moment with her. She will realise how important you are to her as well

I don't care; she's ****ed it up with me through years of alcohol induced physical and emotional abuse. The homophobic comment was the straw that broke the camels back. She is horrible and toxic and I'm tired of her influence in my life
and it makes peefect sense to want to do that, but this is why im suggesting you just sit down for a few minutes and breath
if you flip, and get angry, and start screaming, and start saying 'i will never talk to you again!!!' you justify what your mother has said to you
but if you react calmly and professionally, remove yourself when annoyed, and stop engaging when she tries to cause arguments, you leave the only person with any improvement to be made as her
its really difficult to do, and screaming into a pillow might help get those initial bursts out. but trust me, in the long run patience really will change so much of the situation

I don't want her toxicity in my life any longer; case in point, in response to me saying I need space away from her, instead of saying sorry like an ordinary person she's turned it into a personal attack and said maybe its for the best.
How old are you?
it seems you've made up your mind then. since you said you dont live with her i'm assuming (and i may be wrong) that it would be easy to remove her from your day to day life
but doing this can be difficult, even if you will ultimately end up happier for it. either way youre removing a family member, and the emotional toll will be huge
make sure you have helpline numbers on hand, and maybe (once all is said and done) look at your mental health and consider asking a GP for formal support. you can also self refer to therapy services in your local area
best of luck
How old are you?

Mid twenties.

(No I don't live with her, but unfortunately I had to meet up with her yesterday for the exchange of presents)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending