Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    ...You don't have to look a certain style you know, you can just dress normal.
    well said.

am I the only one who thinks this is a bit ridiculous? op, your life isn't set in an american comedy flick. are you expecting the 'she's all that' treatment? :rofl: just wear what you think looks good, there are no guidelines on how to look 'gorgeous'.

ReputationRep:
    Geek quite often = gorgeous..

Just don't do the usual geeky things, which are to look hoboish (Yes, long hair and stubble can look good on the right guy, but keep it under control), and wear overly baggy clothing. Wear more fitted stuff, cause no matter what your figure is, some girls are bound to love it. I'm betting you look better than you think..

Nothing better than a jeans and t-shirt style nerd. I'm going out with one :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well, let's say I enjoy mathematics. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but the only reason I'm trying to do it is because I'm quite avoidant too... I tend to avoid large gatherings and whatnot because I'm extremely self conscious.

Whenever I'm at school, I always think people are judging me; probably because they are, but I dunno.

We have to wear suits at school, but hopefully my appearance as a whole will change because of uni.
    I love mathematics aswell (along with computers) and all my friends call me a geek but that doesn't define who I am! You said that you are really talkative but first impressions count so always make sure to make eye contact and smile confidently (even if you're not) - you'd be amazed what a difference this makes :p:

With regards to your looks, glasses suit some people but I personally prefer wearing contacts. Make sure your clothes fit properly (no ankle swingers or short t-shirts) and you stand up straight. A good haircut always helps - I don't really like long hair on guys! Do whatever makes you feel more confident about yourself though - I personally find going to the gym makes me feel really good about myself...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    dont think of glasses as a bad thing - girls prefer me with my glasses in general, you just have to get a pair which suit you...
    I agree with this guy. There's sunglasses for everyone and girls just love them. Only cool guys wear sunglasses :cool:

(Original post by Mathy, Ace from Space)
    If you dressed like Forrest Kline, I know hundreds of girls that would flock towards you...
    Blind girls probably

ReputationRep:
    glasses can be cool :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I'm a bit of a geek (anon, REALLY, the guys at school will never let me live this down if they found out).

I'm a guy, 17, just finished AS and I really want to change the way I look to match my personality - loads of people say that I'm really talkative but my first impressions are... crap.

Yes, I do wear glasses... what are the steps to just, looking better? :confused:

I have a year to change the way I look.

New clothes, gym, contact lenses...? What else? Sunglasses?

Thanks a LOT for all of the comments you make.
    I don't think you want to change your appearance to much but if your really unhappy about it then I would suggest getting contact lenses because a lot of people find they make them a lot more confident after. Some people are comfortable in glasses but if its putting a strain on your confidence then consider contact lenses or if you cant afford to keep buying contacts then you could always look for another pair of glasses which might suit you better.

With clothes it really depends on what sort of clothes you currently wear, but I wouldn't worry to much about getting yourself a whole new wardrobe, just look at the clothes you have at the moment and chuck out anything you don't want so you can make space for some new clothes. The best way to get ideas on what to wear is by looking around on fashion web sites but don't always feel as if you need to copy the trends that places like Topman and H&M say we should be wearing, try and make it your own style too.

I don't think you need to go to over the top and start buying sunglasses just to change your appearance, as long as you've got a good personality it shouldn't matter to much but its good to feel good with yourself but I wouldn't try to hard otherwise some people might pick up on it. Just alter the small things your not happy with.

The gym is good to go to every so often but that's really down to you to make the decision on whether you want to start going but don't go with the intentions of trying to impress people do it for your overall fitness as well. Also it all depends on how fit you are at the moment their may be no need for you to go.

Hope its helped.

ReputationRep:
    I love this thread and I love the OP :p: Pls post a pic when you're done with all these advices! Even if you are anonymous.. you'll probably have gained more confidence by then?

I would post advices but people have taken all of them..

(Original post by ElectricOceans)
    Hope its helped.
    Thank you, it did, definately.

I have to wear a suit+tie to school so it's sort of annoying but at least I can look better outside. :P

(Original post by Y'anami!)
    I love this thread and I love the OP :p: Pls post a pic when you're done with all these advices! Even if you are anonymous.. you'll probably have gained more confidence by then?

I would post advices but people have taken all of them..
    No way. Never.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, it did, definately.

I have to wear a suit+tie to school so it's sort of annoying but at least I can look better outside. :P
    I'm glad I could of helped.

Good luck with it all.

They are not mutally exclusive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuffocatedAnxiety)
    Nothing better than a jeans and t-shirt style nerd. I'm going out with one :love:
    Seconded :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Geeks are sooo in right now! play on it and up your sexy geek style X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuffocatedAnxiety)
    Lies lies, REAL nerds don't have girlfriends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Lies lies, REAL nerds don't have girlfriends.
    anyone else thinking of Sheldon from big bang theory?

anyway, is easer and cheaper not to bother, thinkgeek do have some amusing t-shirts instead:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/

Yeah, and i wouldn't put a time limit on things too ... you have so much time, and if you want to change, you will.

It all starts from confidence

And if you can pull in so many replies to your thread, then clearly you have a lot of magnetism as it is!

ReputationRep:
    Be proud of the way you are damnit, don't try to be anyone else or you're going to look an even bigger ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formica)
    I've learnt to just not give a ****. It's a lot easier and a lot cheaper.
    i think this is the best advice youl get in this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colonel_sanders)
    Sunglasses, leather jacket, walk around giving everyone two thumbs up. Proper cool.
    OP needs pimping up. David Brent style

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jm242)
    Just be confident about who you are.

But, if you are really sure you want to change your appearance, then I would advise getting contact lenses. I used to wear glasses and I was considered 'geeky', but when I changed to contacts I gained a lot of confidence.

i was going to say that!!! its all about confidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gamer91)
    anyone else thinking of Sheldon from big bang theory?

anyway, is easer and cheaper not to bother, thinkgeek do have some amusing t-shirts instead:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/
    Omg I love Sheldon and Leonard!!! :love:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.