jamia029
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi! I'm in y12 at the moment doing french (AQA btw). Just wondering if anyone has any tips for revising the themes for current trends as im not sure what we have to know for the exam. Thanks
singh29037
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by jamia029)
Hi! I'm in y12 at the moment doing french (AQA btw). Just wondering if anyone has any tips for revising the themes for current trends as im not sure what we have to know for the exam. Thanks
Hey! I did my A-Level French this year (June). Let me say something, it was the hardest A-level I did! But , I managed to get an A - the biggest tip I could give if PRACTISE. The 50% paper is so important, so get some grammar workbooks and work through the translations/summaries etc once you've done a topic. And learn all the vocab from the AQA textbook (it's arranged by topic) as well as doing the listening and readings from that book - I'd recommend it, and get your teacher to mark

Also, I'd also subscribe to L'Express on social media, e.g. Facebook. It's a newspaper that is really accessible for A-level students.

With the book and film (I did No et Moi and La Haine), make really concise, but detailed notes. I did it by characater and theme as I went along, and it made it so easy when I came to revise. Make sure you remember quotes and analyse evidence!

Any more Q's, feel free to ask! Hope this helps
randomsheep11
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hiya, I did A Level French (AQA) last year, and despite spending the whole of year 12 getting Ds and Es, I ended up with a B.
Regarding knowing the topics (e.g. family, immigration, cinema etc.), this information is only required for when you do your speaking exam.

The way I revised, is that I would have my notes open, and then my revision guide/workbook (the one below is what I used for year 12):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Year-...7266205&sr=8-1

So i would go to the first topic, and on and A4 peice of paper I would write the topic title and then the first sub topic.

I would then go through the book and my notes and write down any key: concepts, statistics, ideas and facts. What seems important is entirely personal to you, but try to have some stats that back up the points you're making.

Then, once you have gone through the first sub-topic, you go on to the next one and do the same.

I found that writing these out helped me really remember the content of the themes very well (and I did them the weekend before my speaking exam lol). They're good to revise from too imo
jamia029
Rep:
?
(Original post by singh29037)
Hey! I did my A-Level French this year (June). Let me say something, it was the hardest A-level I did! But , I managed to get an A - the biggest tip I could give if PRACTISE. The 50% paper is so important, so get some grammar workbooks and work through the translations/summaries etc once you've done a topic. And learn all the vocab from the AQA textbook (it's arranged by topic) as well as doing the listening and readings from that book - I'd recommend it, and get your teacher to mark

Also, I'd also subscribe to L'Express on social media, e.g. Facebook. It's a newspaper that is really accessible for A-level students.

With the book and film (I did No et Moi and La Haine), make really concise, but detailed notes. I did it by characater and theme as I went along, and it made it so easy when I came to revise. Make sure you remember quotes and analyse evidence!

Any more Q's, feel free to ask! Hope this helps
Thank you for this it was so helpful and well done on your A
jamia029
Rep:
?
(Original post by randomsheep11)
Hiya, I did A Level French (AQA) last year, and despite spending the whole of year 12 getting Ds and Es, I ended up with a B.
Regarding knowing the topics (e.g. family, immigration, cinema etc.), this information is only required for when you do your speaking exam.

The way I revised, is that I would have my notes open, and then my revision guide/workbook (the one below is what I used for year 12):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Year-...7266205&sr=8-1

So i would go to the first topic, and on and A4 peice of paper I would write the topic title and then the first sub topic.

I would then go through the book and my notes and write down any key: concepts, statistics, ideas and facts. What seems important is entirely personal to you, but try to have some stats that back up the points you're making.

Then, once you have gone through the first sub-topic, you go on to the next one and do the same.

I found that writing these out helped me really remember the content of the themes very well (and I did them the weekend before my speaking exam lol). They're good to revise from too imo
Thanks for your help i'll definitely try this and well done on your grade
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi there, I’m in year 13 and doing French, definitely my hardest a level

I’m revising the topic themes for the speaking card by making an A4 mindmap on the topic. I break each module down into sub sections. Eg so the first one on New Family includes homosexual marriage, homoparentality , nuclear family, different generational opinions etc. Then I’d just write some facts/ statistics and the main points of each idea on the mindmap (make sure you do this in French!)
Then just practicing the speaking cafard questions. I give myself 5 minutes and try to write a brief plan / summary / ideas to talk about the three questions in French, as this is how it works in the actual exam.

Bonne chance!
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Lol not the speaking cockroach questions just the speaking card questions. And you can find lots of facts on the internet, in the textbook or on teacher resource websites too.
jamia029
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Hi there, I’m in year 13 and doing French, definitely my hardest a level

I’m revising the topic themes for the speaking card by making an A4 mindmap on the topic. I break each module down into sub sections. Eg so the first one on New Family includes homosexual marriage, homoparentality , nuclear family, different generational opinions etc. Then I’d just write some facts/ statistics and the main points of each idea on the mindmap (make sure you do this in French!)
Then just practicing the speaking cafard questions. I give myself 5 minutes and try to write a brief plan / summary / ideas to talk about the three questions in French, as this is how it works in the actual exam.

Bonne chance!
Thanks and good luck with ur exams (:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (136)
28.45%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.6%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.46%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.41%
No - I live at home during term anyway (139)
29.08%

Watched Threads