How can i get a 9 in IGCSE chemisty?

Watch
MrNobody579
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have been using multiple resources to learn and understand the information e.g. CGP revision guide, save my exams notes and the official pearson published guide. What would you guys say is the best resource, which includes everything i need to know because at the moment it is taking me too long to use all those resources to revise? That's mainly the issue i'm facing because i'm unsure if those resources include everything i need to know because i really don't want gaps in my knowledge. My mocks are approaching so tips and help would be immensely appreciated
Charlie101998
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
revise
thekidwhogames
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did GCSE Chemistry and the best thing is to learn the CGP Guide inside well, do the CGP workbook and practice past papers.
MrNobody579
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlie101998)
revise
Hello Charlie, thanks for the structured response. Very very useful. Haha!
MrNobody579
Rep:
?
(Original post by thekidwhogames)
I did GCSE Chemistry and the best thing is to learn the CGP Guide inside well, do the CGP workbook and practice past papers.
That's nice! I am taking IGCSE chemistry triple award. Is the CGP guide enough? Did you use any other resources and what did you get?
Charlie101998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MrNobody579)
Hello Charlie, thanks for the structured response. Very very useful. Haha!
Honestly its really the best thing you can do. Aside from that, my tutor. told us to go back to the chapter of the text book that. we did. that day, read through it and make notes. Go. through all the practice questions and any that you couldn't do or got wrong, take to the teacher and get them to work you through it. You should also take what you learned and teach it to someone. That will help reinforce the knowledge.
thekidwhogames
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's nice! I am taking IGCSE chemistry triple award. Is the CGP guide enough? Did you use any other resources and what did you get?
I achieved a 9 in GCSE Chemistry (Triple, OCR 21st Century) and in particular, achieved quite high marks in Chemistry (87/90 in one of my exams). Mainly, my revision came from the CGP Guide - they are definitely sufficient for achieving very highly. If you learn everything inside there and I mean everything + practice from the CGP Workbook + ChemSheet worksheets (I didn't know this existed back then) + past papers (from your board and/or other boards) then you should hopefully be on track to a 9.
MrNobody579
Rep:
?
I achieved a 9 in GCSE Chemistry (Triple, OCR 21st Century) and in particular, achieved quite high marks in Chemistry (87/90 in one of my exams). Mainly, my revision came from the CGP Guide - they are definitely sufficient for achieving very highly. If you learn everything inside there and I mean everything + practice from the CGP Workbook + ChemSheet worksheets (I didn't know this existed back then) + past papers (from your board and/or other boards) then you should hopefully be on track to a 9.
Thank you so much for your help I have one more question! Can you review these notes on savemyexams and let me know if these are useful? https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/igcse-...bility-basics/
It has the specification point and then what you need to know below it.
Last edited by MrNobody579; 1 year ago
thekidwhogames
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your help
No worries, I forgot to mention MyGCSEScience which is a great resource as well. Here's the final list which I think should be more than enough to get 9 (and in order of completion, ideally). Suppose the start of the syllabus is topic X:
1) Watch the videos about topic X from MyGCSEScience
2) Complete the worksheet on topic X from MyGCSEScience
3) Read the CGP Guide pages about topic X + complete the questions at the bottom of the page(s)
4) Complete the questions about topic X from CGP Workbook
5) Complete the worksheets on topic X from ChemSheets

Once you have completed this for all topics - of which there are surprisingly few - you can begin doing whole paper mocks from your exam board for Chemistry (should be 2 from new spec, I think). Once done, you can do the same to other exam boards. Hope this helps.
MrNobody579
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlie101998)
Honestly its really the best thing you can do. Aside from that, my tutor. told us to go back to the chapter of the text book that. we did. that day, read through it and make notes. Go. through all the practice questions and any that you couldn't do or got wrong, take to the teacher and get them to work you through it. You should also take what you learned and teach it to someone. That will help reinforce the knowledge.
Hey Charlie! I am revising bud especially because my mocks are approaching. I'm just struggling because i'm not too sure where is the best place to revise from. As your a fellow student check https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/igcse-...bility-basics/
and let me know if you feel this is useful!
MrNobody579
Rep:
?
No worries, I forgot to mention MyGCSEScience which is a great resource as well. Here's the final list which I think should be more than enough to get 9 (and in order of completion, ideally). Suppose the start of the syllabus is topic X:
1) Watch the videos about topic X from MyGCSEScience
2) Complete the worksheet on topic X from MyGCSEScience
3) Read the CGP Guide pages about topic X + complete the questions at the bottom of the page(s)
4) Complete the questions about topic X from CGP Workbook
5) Complete the worksheets on topic X from ChemSheets

Once you have completed this for all topics - of which there are surprisingly few - you can begin doing whole paper mocks from your exam board for Chemistry (should be 2 from new spec, I think). Once done, you can do the same to other exam boards. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much! I will definitely try this out and let you know the results. I am an aspiring student. I have predicted 9s in sciences and i have to live up to the predictions haha! I usually cram but it won't work since the syllabus is too large.
thekidwhogames
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much! I will definitely try this out and let you know the results. I am an aspiring student. I have predicted 9s in sciences and i have to live up to the predictions haha! I usually cram but it won't work since the syllabus is too large.
Hopefully you will live up to those predictions!
You'll be surprised how effective cramming works actually. I crammed most of my GCSE's (eg I learnt one poem for English and for Biology, I read the textbook from 12AM until the exam from page 1-130 or whatever it was) and did well. I wouldn't recommend cramming however as it's extremely exhausting and will mess up your sleep pattern. If you start now, revising slowly but well, and then do a bit of light cramming the week before to review everything - you'll get those 9s.
MrNobody579
Rep:
?
Hopefully you will live up to those predictions!
You'll be surprised how effective cramming works actually. I crammed most of my GCSE's (eg I learnt one poem for English and for Biology, I read the textbook from 12AM until the exam from page 1-130 or whatever it was) and did well. I wouldn't recommend cramming however as it's extremely exhausting and will mess up your sleep pattern. If you start now, revising slowly but well, and then do a bit of light cramming the week before to review everything - you'll get those 9s.
Ty again I used to cram and it worked quite well. How do you effectively cram though? I would never be able to manage to get through 130 pages haha! Did you just read through the book and try and remember info, that's what i usually do when cramming?
thekidwhogames
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ty again I used to cram and it worked quite well. How do you effectively cram though? I would never be able to manage to get through 130 pages haha! Did you just read through the book and try and remember info, that's what i usually do when cramming?
Similar, yeah.
I'd read a page then cover it and recite it (I've got a bit of an OCD for academic stuff so I forced myself to try to rememeber it word for word) and repeated for every page.
MrNobody579
Rep:
?
Similar, yeah.
I'd read a page then cover it and recite it (I've got a bit of an OCD for academic stuff so I forced myself to try to rememeber it word for word) and repeated for every page.
Lmao, your actually so similar to me haha! That is literally what i do as i apparently have a strong short term memory. However, your definitely more dedicated as i don't end up pushing myself (i just break down because of the stress). This time i'm starting early so hopefully it'll go differently. Btw Merry Christmas!
thekidwhogames
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lmao, your actually so similar to me haha! That is literally what i do as i apparently have a strong short term memory. However, your definitely more dedicated as i don't end up pushing myself (i just break down because of the stress). This time i'm starting early so hopefully it'll go differently. Btw Merry Christmas!
Yeah, short term memory FTW!
Merry Christmas - have a great day with family and/or friends.
MrNobody579
Rep:
?
Yeah, short term memory FTW!
Merry Christmas - have a great day with family and/or friends.
You too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.39%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
64.94%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.29%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (7)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.3%

Watched Threads