The Student Room Group

Why don't street dogs bite those who abuse them for no reason?

Like dog's bite are powerful, one bite and you'll be gone 6 feet under. I don't understand why a dog doesn't attack when it gets beaten up? Does it know it will be put down if it bites?

- note i never attacked animals, but noticed in third world countries where street dog population is high, some dogs are openly abused just because they come near food? or near human in general? instead of attacking, they just run away. Ps it's not just mild abuse, i have seen dogs in a condition i wouldn't even wish it on my worst enemies
Original post by nanachan123
Like dog's bite are powerful, one bite and you'll be gone 6 feet under. I don't understand why a dog doesn't attack when it gets beaten up? Does it know it will be put down if it bites?

- note i never attacked animals, but noticed in third world countries where street dog population is high, some dogs are openly abused just because they come near food? or near human in general? instead of attacking, they just run away. Ps it's not just mild abuse, i have seen dogs in a condition i wouldn't even wish it on my worst enemies

Used to it, but also think they fear human beings and know there can be severe repercussions if they fight back, which will end in death.

It's not just street dogs in third world countries that are victims of abuse. It's billions of pigs, cows, chicken, etc in the meat industry. But you don't care about those other animals I mentioned do you?

They have learned a severe fear of humans yes. There are few animals that haven't.
Probs scared we’re gonna shoot them.
Original post by IH8Studying
Probs scared we’re gonna shoot them.

Nah - animals' fear of humans substantially pre-dates firearms. A heavy rock to throw or a sharp stick to the face is enough to get that fear learned
Original post by nexttime
Nah - animals' fear of humans substantially pre-dates firearms. A heavy rock to throw or a sharp stick to the face is enough to get that fear learned

wow
Reply 7

They do, a lot. I worked in an underdeveloped country with a lot of stray dogs. One of the first pieces of advice I was given when I got there was be very careful not to approach stray dogs. They not only bite people but they kill people too.. They hang around in small groups and anyone that approaches them risks their life. In this country there are no strays and where you do find a stray its usually domesticated so very friendly towards people.
(edited 4 years ago)

one bite isnt going to kill you. But overall the reason is because we have genetically engineered them over 1000s of years specifically not to bite their owners, its almost certainly hard coded into thier brains like it is for you to breathe.
Street / stray dogs that can get out of the way and avoid being physically hit or beaten will usually opt to get out of the way. It's of no benefit,reward and comes with a higher risk for them to fight back when they can just get away but some will and when they do, it'll be a harsh lesson learned for the person concerned.

Dogs that are abused and beaten when they're confined to a room or chained / tied and unable to get away will either fight back with everything they have or develop what's known as "learned helplessness" i.e. they have learned there is no point in fighting or trying to get away because no matter what it does, the outcome will be the same.

Some breeds are naturally more docile and less inclined to react and fight back than others. Some that are naturally sweet and have a loving, gentle temperament can still pop a button and rip the throat out of someone if pushed so far.

My eldest dog is a friendly, gentle natured soul but confident and would rip someone to bits if pushed. The youngest came from a poor start to life and is the sort that if you hit him 10 times in a row he'd still come back to you the 11th and yet physically, he's built like a tank and immensely strong.

All animals have the capacity to turn and unleash on humans they have learned to distrust and the worst I ever saw was when I was a kid and a huge Shire horse I used to ride nearly kicked a farrier to death. I honestly believe if I hadn't been there she'd have killed him and yet this horse was the most gentle, docile and kind soul I ever met.

Farrier was just horrible and abusive for fun. He never treated the horses with even the slightest respect and one day when he'd been at the farm, the Shire was heavily in foal ready to pop any day. Being an ******** he grabbed her leg without giving her warning and being heavily in foal and not expecting him to pick her foot up like that, she lost her balance and put the leg back down as she stumbled.
He kicked her with full force and in steel toe capped boots so hard the sound was horrific and I was only about 10yrs old but told him she hadn't meant to slam her foot down and just lost her footing.

He swore and called me all sorts then his next visit, she had the foal with her and I saw the way she eyed him from the second he pulled up on the yard. Always kept herself between him and the foal and it was unnerving seeing the way she behaved. She was just under 19hh and I had to climb on the field gate and still jump from the top of it just to get on her back she was huge but a true gentle giant in every sense. Idiot got himself in the perfect spot for her to kick him so hard he literally flew through the air, bounced off the timber stables before landing in a heap and she turned her backside and was gearing up to finish him off of that I'm absolutely certain.

Foal got anxious amid the commotion and trotted off and I yelled at her to stop and come with me so she followed suit probably more to catch up with the foal but I swear she'd have killed him there and then and never have I been as shocked or shaken up.

The worst and most dangerous thing you can be is someone animals neither trust nor like. It can get you killed in a heartbeat.
It also depends on the breed some breeds like a lab will probably run way unless you corner them, whereas if you do the same to a mastif breed like a Boerboel or a doggo argentino it will 100% bite you.
Original post by josh75
It also depends on the breed some breeds like a lab will probably run way unless you corner them, whereas if you do the same to a mastif breed like a Boerboel or a doggo argentino it will 100% bite you.

Where have you seen these packs of street Labradors, may I ask?
Where have you seen these packs of street Labradors, may I ask?

Its a analogous simile to explain a point, did you not go to school or something.
A stray dog in the U.K is likely to be one that has been abused and abandoned over anything else. They abuse part would make them fear humans, especially ones that look like their previous owners.
Original post by poliewuis
It's not just street dogs in third world countries that are victims of abuse. It's billions of pigs, cows, chicken, etc in the meat industry. But you don't care about those other animals I mentioned do you?

lmao make your own thread to preach about veganism weirdo. not helpful or relevant to the original post at all🙄
Original post by josh75
Its a analogous simile to explain a point, did you not go to school or something.

I think the street dogs I saw terrorising locals in India may have been pugs? Are they known to be aggressive?

I agree, if only they had some proper breeds it'd all be different. How uncivilised.
I think the street dogs I saw terrorising locals in India may have been pugs? Are they known to be aggressive?

I agree, if only they had some proper breeds it'd all be different. How uncivilised.

ah i see you dont understand what a metaphor is or how to use the word "like". Why are people on this site so autistic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending