Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    when the examiner asks you to just randomly pull over to the side of the road you indicate.

then you have to cancel the indicator and they will ask you to carry on.

when you do this, though, do you indicate to come back onto the road? because my driving instructor tells me no but everybody that i have spoken to otherwise says yes?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would indicate to come onto the road if i were you.....

ReputationRep:
    If you're waiting for a car behind to pass, then indicate right. If there's nothing coming at all then don't bother.
    That's what my instructor taught me, sorry if wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Just indicate, it's not hard.

ReputationRep:
    ive always been told to do it. you always do when your pulling off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys.)
    Just indicate, it's not hard.
    its not the fact that its hard

my instructor said it could confuse other drivers?

ReputationRep:
    in my lessons i was told not to indicate pulling back onto the road... you should wait until there are no cars. so indicating would be pointless as there's not actually anyone to indicate to (passed my test 1st time)

ReputationRep:
    I'd indicate, best to do it rather than being penalized for not doing so. I had one driving instructor that told me to indicate and another that told me not to, so on my test I did.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you can't go wrong doing it, but you could fail for not...

ReputationRep:
    I indicated when I pulled out and passed. I would indicate just to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    I've been taught to indicate when theres other road users around, including pedestrians, people getting in and out of cars, people loading and obviously other cars

Its better to be safe than sorry tbh, I cant see what harm it will do

ReputationRep:
    I would indicate, if you have actually pulled across to the left, and are right by the pavement in a parking position.

Obviously, if you have just halted in normal 'driving' lane position , in order to let an approaching car filter through a small gap (or if there is an obstruction on your side of the road), there's not much point in indicating.

ReputationRep:
    My instructor said if it's a quiet street and there's no one coming behind or infront of you and there are no pedestrians there's no need to indicate. However in a test I'd indicate regardless. No point taking the risk.

ReputationRep:
    you only dont indicate if there is NO one arround to benefit from the indication, EG just done a manuver in the quietest side road, not a person or car in sight then there is no need to indicate however if there are other cars/people in the area you must indicate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mufcno1)
    when the examiner asks you to just randomly pull over to the side of the road you indicate.

then you have to cancel the indicator and they will ask you to carry on.

when you do this, though, do you indicate to come back onto the road? because my driving instructor tells me no but everybody that i have spoken to otherwise says yes?

thanks
    no, you do not.
    you would only indicate if you were parked on the pavement and were then coming back onto the road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    you only dont indicate if there is NO one arround to benefit from the indication, EG just done a manuver in the quietest side road, not a person or car in sight then there is no need to indicate however if there are other cars/people in the area you must indicate.
    not to be a *******, but in your test you should indicate whenever you would normally, because if you don't youll end up failing.

ReputationRep:
    I've always been told not to as it can confuse other drivers apparently though I do it when the road is particualry busy in order to demonstrate that I want to pull out so LET ME OUT YOU PUSHY PEOPLE!!

ReputationRep:
    I crapped up my first test for this and got three minors. The examiner was a bit of a nob, but I think what you're meant to do is wait for a decent gap, then indicate, and then move off.

Don't just not indicate if you think there's nothing there, because you might have not noticed something and then you'll immediately fail for lack of observation. They can't penalise you for indicating here.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say indicate, but definitely check your blind spot in an exaggerated fashion, plus check all your mirrors because if he continually stops you like this then you're doing something wrong.

ReputationRep:
    if there are any cars in front or behind you indicate, if not don't.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.