Why are Christians so judgemental?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This morning I thought I’d go to church, being the day celebrating Jesus’ Birth and all that, so I got up early, downed some caffeine and got myself ready for the half ten service

The service itself was alright, the songs were nice enough. In between the service and the communion I got accosted by some dude in his thirties trying to make pointless small talk. After a bit of exchange, after which I revealed I was a student, he made a comment to the effect of “Oh I actually have a job where I earn actual money” (this was after saying I worked too)

Is it just me or is this a really odd comment to say to someone you’ve never seen before in your church. After that I just left, I couldn’t be bothered with more small talk
Mrepic Foulger
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Religion is a plague
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m sure he didn’t mean anything hostile by it, I’m sorry that this somewhat marred your church experience
Please don’t base the whole of a religion off of one encounter though
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Mrepic Foulger)
Religion is a plague
That is your opinion I guess
cheerIeader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If there is a God then he'll know how hard it is to be human.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by laurawatt)
I’m sure he didn’t mean anything hostile by it, I’m sorry that this somewhat marred your church experience
Please don’t base the whole of a religion off of one encounter though
I’m sure he didn’t; I just found it was an odd thing to say.
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unfortunately, in every religion you will find people who are judgemental and rude. I am sorry that you had this experience, who knows maybe he is just a brash person (who possibly meant nothing by it), some people are really forward and have a terrible sense of humour. Believe me my family and I have had some unfortunate, uncomfortable experiences as well since moving to the UK.

The church I went to in South Africa was when compared to some churches I have visited in Scotland very open, welcoming and just a happy place to be. The services where actually well thought out and interesting to listen to, you always wanted to hear more as they were not just reading from the bible. As a teenager, we had our own space with a youth pastor- we sat on bean bags and couches (even had coffee and tea), we were given the opportunity to discuss faith and ask questions, to learn or debate in what always felt like a welcoming and non-judgemental atmosphere. Even if we wanted to talk about things outside of religion, e.g. If something had been going on in our life and we wanted advice or support- our contribution was always welcomed and even those who chose not to contribute were never judged for it. I wish that many churches in the UK were as up to date with the 21st century as the one I attended in South Africa, I know I would attend church more often if they were. It shouldn't be a place where people feel judged and looked down upon, in any context.

Please don't use this unfortunate experience as a means to generalise all Christians, I have been attacked and judged by others for simply being a Christian and it truly is an awful experience.
Last edited by AfricanDream; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
13.89%
I need help researching courses (5)
6.94%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (30)
41.67%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (18)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.78%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.17%

Watched Threads