Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im thinking of going on a sign language course online. I have found one here: http://www.british-sign.co.uk/

Not sure about its reliability or how useful it would be. Has anyone done it before?

ReputationRep:
    My mum did a BSL course a few years ago because she works in a primary school and thought it might be useful as there were a coupel of children at the time who had hearing problems and used some sign. She hasn't used it since though.

I learned quite a lot from her and it was good fun. You never know if it might come in handy, on the other hand it can cost a lot of money and if you don't use it again it might be a waste.

I'd say go for it.

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly interesting, and worth doing, but it might not be very useful to you. Still, why not?

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't say pay for it. a friend of mine learnt the entire thing from random websites. it's a lot of fun though

ReputationRep:
    Have a look around colleges in your area. I know a lot near me offer night courses in Sign Language and it doesn't cost all that much. Might even be free if you are already a student.

Im also hoping to do a short course (Level 1) and then try and teach myself the rest- will look good on a CV!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I can say my alphabet :P Might learn one day. But it is one of those things that unless you work with deaf or hard of hearing people, like your mom does, Beccydoodaa, you'll never really use.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to do sign language but I love speaking languages more and I've already got two on my plate! Still, if you want to and you can do it for cheap then I'd say go for it. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I did it and paid £250 for the course (Level 1 - 1 year). I haven't used it since and am forgetting loads of stuff. Then again, I've always been really bad at languages.
    Do it if it's free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    i wouldn't say pay for it. a friend of mine learnt the entire thing from random websites. it's a lot of fun though
    Really? What websites, do you know?

ReputationRep:
    i took a course a few years back, but i couldnt futher it as i was to young...
    two things about BSL, the signs vary from reigion to region abit like slang i guess, also i bet it will be easy to forget it not used on a regular basis.
    But i say go for it, it will be well worth it good luck x

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to learn, my grandma can sign language because her parents were deaf. I don't get on with her though lol.

ReputationRep:
    hmm i def want to do it. So thanks i dont have time for a full blown one year long course though, which is why in looking at online courses. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Really? What websites, do you know?
    i don't know. i think she just googled 'british sign language' though.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.