NimitMistry13
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Ok so in the electrolysis of sodium chloride, hydrogen forms at the cathode instead of sodium because:
- >Hydrogen is less reactive than sodium<, and the less reactive chemical is produced at the electrode
- >Hydrogen accepts electrons more readily< than sodium

How can hydrogen be less reactive, and also accept electrons more readily? 🤔

those two details awarded separate marks in Q24d in the mark scheme*
(mark scheme* = https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/537505...me-paper-3.pdf)
adampinsler
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NimitMistry13)
Ok so in the electrolysis of sodium chloride, hydrogen forms at the cathode instead of sodium because:
- >Hydrogen is less reactive than sodium<, and the less reactive chemical is produced at the electrode
- >Hydrogen accepts electrons more readily< than sodium

How can hydrogen be less reactive, and also accept electrons more readily? 🤔

those two details awarded separate marks in Q24d in the mark scheme*
(mark scheme* = https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/537505...me-paper-3.pdf)
Hey! You will probably have to address the electrochemical series. When the sodium ion gains an electron to form solid sodium, the equilibrium reaction produces a E° value of -2.71V. The more negative the E° value is, the further left the equilibrium would lie, resulting in greater tendency for sodium to remain as an ion. Therefore, hydrogen having more positive E° value (relative to sodium), will undergo reduction at the cathode. Hope this sort of makes sense

Another way to think about this is, being an ion provides higher stability with a fully-filled outer shell. Thus, sodium being more reactive would require much more energy to gain the electron, over hydrogen, as sodium would much prefer to be an ion.
Roha125
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because the opposite of reaction is also happening

For reaction element to ion
Na -> Na^+1 + e (faster so more reactive)
H -> H^+1 +e

In electrolysis ion to element
Na^+1 +e -> Na
H^+1 +e -> H (faster so reaches cathode first)

Sodium is more reactive as it can lose electron faster than hydrogen to become ions
So in electrolysis,hydrogen can take electrons faster to become element from ions.

First point of marks is about element->ion
Second is ion->element
(You have misconceptions over here)

Sodium can easily turn to ion but it gets harder for it to become element again compare to hydrogen.So hydrogen reaches cathode as it easier for it to become element
NimitMistry13
Rep:
?
(Original post by Roha125)
Because the opposite of reaction is also happening

For reaction element to ion
Na -> Na^+1 + e (faster so more reactive)
H -> H^+1 +e

In electrolysis ion to element
Na^+1 +e -> Na
H^+1 +e -> H (faster so reaches cathode first)

Sodium is more reactive as it can lose electron faster than hydrogen to become ions
So in electrolysis,hydrogen can take electrons faster to become element from ions.

First point of marks is about element->ion
Second is ion->element
(You have misconceptions over here)

Sodium can easily turn to ion but it gets harder for it to become element again compare to hydrogen.So hydrogen reaches cathode as it easier for it to become element
hmmm ok i think i get it

so sodium loses electrons more readily than hydrogen
so hydrogen gains electrons more readily than sodium?

thanks again!!
NimitMistry13
Rep:
?
(Original post by adampinsler)
Hey! You will probably have to address the electrochemical series. When the sodium ion gains an electron to form solid sodium, the equilibrium reaction produces a E° value of -2.71V. The more negative the E° value is, the further left the equilibrium would lie, resulting in greater tendency for sodium to remain as an ion. Therefore, hydrogen having more positive E° value (relative to sodium), will undergo reduction at the cathode. Hope this sort of makes sense

Another way to think about this is, being an ion provides higher stability with a fully-filled outer shell. Thus, sodium being more reactive would require much more energy to gain the electron, over hydrogen, as sodium would much prefer to be an ion.
oh i saw the electrochemical series around when i searched about it 😅
it didn't make much sense on other websites, u explained it WAYYYY better

thank you for the answer 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
9.3%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (56)
65.12%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (12)
13.95%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (9)
10.47%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.16%

Watched Threads