Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, is it true that warwick give out offers to 90% of the people who apply?

I look at there offers
    Offer 1: A(M) A(FM) and either B 2 or AA
    Offer 2: A(M) a(FM) A b 2
    Offer 3: A(M) A A 2
    Does offer 1 mean that you can fail STEP, however you need four A's. How hard is getting a 2 in STEP? Also, if you fail STEP does that mean you won't get in. I plan not to fail STEP, however it looks like I will have to spend hours of my day doing past papers on it.

Also, if I get an A in further maths, A in mathematics and an B/A in Psychology. Would this mean I would get an offer?

I really want to go to Warwick, however STEP seems a nightmare. Also, do they say you need to do STEP 1 and 2 or STEP 2 and 3. Can you basically choose what STEP papers you will do i.e. I want to do STEP 1 and 2, not STEP 3.

P.S. I heard Warwick run the hardest exam ever, i.e. Algebra 2. Is this true? or does Warwick have alot of whiners?

ReputationRep:
    Specifically OFFER 1 MEANS:

A(M) A(FM) A A

OR A(M) A(FM) B +Merit in AEA

OR A(M) A(FM) B +2 in a STEP paper

All the information about AEA and STEP and which paper you need to take-- ANSWER IS Here:rolleyes:

this is what I know.

ReputationRep:
    basically unless you get 4 a's including maths & further maths then you would need to pass either step or aea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Firstly, is it true that warwick give out offers to 90% of the people who apply?
    No.

ReputationRep:

I look at there offers

Does offer 1 mean that you can fail STEP, however you need four A's. How hard is getting a 2 in STEP? Also, if you fail STEP does that mean you won't get in. I plan not to fail STEP, however it looks like I will have to spend hours of my day doing past papers on it.

Also, if I get an A in further maths, A in mathematics and an B/A in Psychology. Would this mean I would get an offer?

I really want to go to Warwick, however STEP seems a nightmare. Also, do they say you need to do STEP 1 and 2 or STEP 2 and 3. Can you basically choose what STEP papers you will do i.e. I want to do STEP 1 and 2, not STEP 3.

P.S. I heard Warwick run the hardest exam ever, i.e. Algebra 2. Is this true? or does Warwick have alot of whiners?
    I dont see how that is true somehow - Warwick is one of the most competitive Uni's to get into.

ReputationRep:

Any STEP paper will do. People who take further maths usually do step 2 & 3 and people who don't take further maths usually do step 1 & 2. This is because step 3 has further maths in it.

Algebra 2 is the hardest exam I've ever taken along with the step exams! But I've heard the guy who usually lectures it might not be from next year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by appleboxford)
    G100 Mathematics 2008

Imperial [Firm] AAA

Warwick [Insurance] AAB+Merit
    Imperial firm and Warwick insurance...Traitor!

I heard Warwick run the hardest exam ever, i.e. Algebra 2. Is this true? or does Warwick have alot of whiners?
    Yeah it was ****ing hard but why are you even bothered by that? It's a 2nd year module and you haven't even started uni yet. And as England Capitain said, there will be a new lecturer for that module.

ReputationRep:
    I think Warwick do give 'loads' of offers out, STEP is not overly difficult nor trivially easy, it's interesting for the most part. I personally found Further Maths a lot more difficult, because this year, they gave both the longest and most difficult exam in two modules. While the difficulty is certainly not major, finishing the exam in 1hour 30 mins was certainly a challenge, atleast for me (but i generally am a slow worker because i make a lot of mistakes). If you don't want to do STEP, then to get into Warwick you need AAAA including A(M) A(FM) and even by missing one grade in something not including maths and further maths you would probably find yourself rejected. Other good unis to look at are Imperial (no STEP if you have further Maths), Birmingham, Bristol, Bath. If you don't want to do STEP II,III you might aswell apply to Oxford. Because while it maybe more difficult to get an offer, the offer is easier and the difference in the undergraduate degree is negligable. Good luck to where you choose to apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psanghaLFC)
    I think Warwick do give 'loads' of offers out, STEP is not overly difficult nor trivially easy, it's interesting for the most part. I personally found Further Maths a lot more difficult, because this year, they gave both the longest and most difficult exam in two modules. While the difficulty is certainly not major, finishing the exam in 1hour 30 mins was certainly a challenge, atleast for me (but i generally am a slow worker because i make a lot of mistakes). If you don't want to do STEP, then to get into Warwick you need AAAA including A(M) A(FM) and even by missing one grade in something not including maths and further maths you would probably find yourself rejected. Other good unis to look at are Imperial (no STEP if you have further Maths), Birmingham, Bristol, Bath. If you don't want to do STEP II,III you might aswell apply to Oxford. Because while it maybe more difficult to get an offer, the offer is easier and the difference in the undergraduate degree is negligable. Good luck to where you choose to apply.
    I guess it's a matter of point of view but generally, people find STEP/AEA to be FAR harder than any further maths exam. I know loads of people who got easy A's in maths and further maths but failed STEP. And I reckon the vast majority of people applying to Warwick would rather go for the AAAA offer rather than anything else (which would involve taking STEP/AEA) as it is considered the easiest to achieve, which is something I would agree with. It's good that you enjoy it though, it trains your mind to think in a completely different way.

EDIT: Regarding Imperial, you can avoid STEP/AEA even if you don't do further maths. The only way you do end up with the STEP requirement is if you only have 3 A-levels and only maths.

ReputationRep:
    'AAAA easy to achieve', to be honest i would really struggle to get that, it's true that it's down to personal preference but i don't think i could get AAAA easily, i mean the amount of work would be incredible.

ReputationRep:
    'AAAA easy to achieve', to be honest i would really struggle to get that, it's true that it's down to personal preference but i don't think i could get AAAA easily, i mean the amount of work would be incredible.
    Yeah that's pretty much it: the AAAA offer is more for the sort of people who work hard. You could probably do pretty well in STEP/AEA if you did loads of past exam papers, but to a lesser extent than for the AAAA offer I reckon. AAAA is by no means easy to achieve don't get me wrong, but for most people it's the easiest to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand that they take the work ethic through to unviersity, and so many people can also do well in the degree. Have many people (or the ones you know) been accepted through the AAAA offer?

ReputationRep:
    I can understand that they take the work ethic through to unviersity, and so many people can also do well in the degree. Have many people (or the ones you know) been accepted through the AAAA offer?
    Yeah to do well on the course you really do need to work fairly hard, but it's a progressive thing i.e you won't be under a ton of work in the first few weeks at uni. What I would recommend is to quickly go through the lectures you've been through on the same day in order to clearly understand what the lecturer was on about, you'll then be fully prepared for the next lecture. I believe it's a useful habit to acquire, and it doesn't take up a lot of time.

I think most people I know went for the "AAAA" offer (which was an AAAB offer back in my days) but quite a lot also took STEP/AEA in order to maximise their chances of getting in. Things have probably changed now, I think more people are taking AEA/STEP as the department really encourages that.

ReputationRep:
    tbh I think that more universities should have AEA/STEP on their offer for Maths, it really would make people put more effort into their maths. I mean at the moment, the normal Maths A level is a complete joke, somebody getting 100% in that is no indication of whether or not they would be well suited to a Maths degree. It's rote learning, the same goes (although to a lesser extent) for further maths.

Makes me annoyed when people get AA in maths and further maths, but can't actually apply their knowledge to other areas of Maths or really be able to do slightly different questions. Just gets on mah nerves

ReputationRep:
    well, atleast in my Further Maths this year (MEI) the questions in FP2/FP3 were quite difficult to complete within time conditions, i would certainly say that FP2/FP3 are not joke the material is quite interesting, This is why i found FP2/FP3 harder than STEP. Previous papers were so easy to complete within the 1 hour 30 mins so maybe they may drop the boundries.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to do two papers?
    If so, do you have to get a 2 in both of them or could you get say a 1 and a 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowjacket)
    Do you have to do two papers?
    If so, do you have to get a 2 in both of them or could you get say a 1 and a 3
    you just have to get at least a 2 in any STEP paper, or a merit in an AEA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    you just have to get at least a 2 in any STEP paper, or a merit in an AEA
    Oh cool, so they don't specify which one you have to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krush)
    Imperial firm and Warwick insurance...Traitor!.
    why? what's wrong with this?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by appleboxford)
    why? what's wrong with this?:confused:
    lol No nothing wrong with that! It's just that there's a fair bit of rivalry between those two unis for maths, some put one as firm and the other as insurance and vice-versa. In my case, I put Warwick as firm.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 7, 2009
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.