The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chikubittoo
@ecolier

As I am holding offers from SGUL and Brunel for Bio Medicine, is it possible to apply to any A100 unis through Adjustment on the clearing day if I get AAA.
(I am sure its is a silly question , just a thought came in my mind, and I wanted to clarify)

I don't know if any med schools will enter Adjustment.

If I were you, I would reject the biomedicine offers but that's me. Going through a gap year (and reapplying) will work out easier.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by Emily5243
Sheffield didn't tell me how far away I was from an offer. They only said that all of my interview stations were at least satisfactory so I must have scored at least 3/5 in all of the stations. I was 36 points away from the cut off at Liverpool which I thought was a lot but I believe they use vary large scores for each of their stations so it might not have been as bad as I thought.
But what was interesting about Liverpool is they actually gave me a deferred place (2020 entry) for medicine which was very surprising to me as they had ran out of 2019 places but still wanted to give me an offer.

I have really enjoyed my time in Sheffield so far. I'm from a small town so I like the fact that Sheffield doesn't feel too big for a city. It has Meadowhall for shopping and the peak district for walking. The way the course is structured really suits how I like to learn as well. I enjoy the fact we can do dissection for anatomy and we had a hospital placement in first year so you get introduced to the clinical environment from very early on. Although with COVID, I don't know how the clinical aspects of the course will pan out so we'll have to wait and see. If you have any more questions about Sheffield, I'll be happy to try and answer them. And good luck on results day!

Thanks for replying!!! I'm 24 from Liverpool so I was quite worried but that really helped so thank you!
I'm thinking it could be a deferred one that I get too, so I'm really weighing up whether to wait for a year cause Liverpool was probably my favourite.
The only thing with Sheffield for me is purely how local it is, as I wanted to go further away from home, but from everything I've heard/experienced it sounds like I'd enjoy it there too.
Thank you so much! :smile:
Yes I did. I actually got offers from both Sheffield and Liverpool on results day so I didn't need to attend any of the clearing interviews I got. I decided to go to Sheffield and have completed first year now.

That gives me a slight glimmer of hope. I am on 2 waiting lists too but I have looked at last year’s threads to see if anybody got offers on results day and I couldn’t see anybody say they had
Original post by Gemini50
That gives me a slight glimmer of hope. I am on 2 waiting lists too but I have looked at last year’s threads to see if anybody got offers on results day and I couldn’t see anybody say they had

Well not everyone is on TSR so there might have been offers from the waiting lists. Good luck and I hope you do end up with an offer!
Sheffield didn't tell me how far away I was from an offer. They only said that all of my interview stations were at least satisfactory so I must have scored at least 3/5 in all of the stations. I was 36 points away from the cut off at Liverpool which I thought was a lot but I believe they use vary large scores for each of their stations so it might not have been as bad as I thought.
But what was interesting about Liverpool is they actually gave me a deferred place (2020 entry) for medicine which was very surprising to me as they had ran out of 2019 places but still wanted to give me an offer.

I have really enjoyed my time in Sheffield so far. I'm from a small town so I like the fact that Sheffield doesn't feel too big for a city. It has Meadowhall for shopping and the peak district for walking. The way the course is structured really suits how I like to learn as well. I enjoy the fact we can do dissection for anatomy and we had a hospital placement in first year so you get introduced to the clinical environment from very early on. Although with COVID, I don't know how the clinical aspects of the course will pan out so we'll have to wait and see. If you have any more questions about Sheffield, I'll be happy to try and answer them. And good luck on results day!

Hey Emily, just to confirm does this mean they accepted you with AAA,
Thank you
Thanks for answering. Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea why foundation years tend to enter clearing more often. I would think it would be less seeing as the criteria is generally like BBB.

Also want to use this opportunity to thank you for all you do on here to help medics. I’ve seen ur replies even when u was doing GCSE & UKCAT etc so thank you.
Original post by Zahra098
Hey Emily, just to confirm does this mean they accepted you with AAA,
Thank you

To be accepted from the waiting lists, you need to meet the universitites a level requirements so for sheffield and liverpool, you needed to have at least AAA.
But I personally got higher than AAA
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Whatisizekiah
Thanks for answering. Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea why foundation years tend to enter clearing more often. I would think it would be less seeing as the criteria is generally like BBB...

Most likely just not enough people meeting the criteria? I don't understand it because Medicine with a Foundation Year are usually much more competitive.

Hi ecolier

I'm currently holding two biomedicine offers, however, I do not want to biomedicine as my heart is set on medicine? I have been predicted AAA but I think I will get AAB. Which of the following offers do you think would be better for me:

1) Reject both offers and try for Medicine in clearing
2) Do biomedicine and try for GEM

As well as this would I apply for medicine in Clearing or Adjustment?

How long does it take for me to get my clearing number after I self release?

Thank you
if you get a waitlist offer, will that automatically update on track (like on your previous application where it says unsuccessful,) or would you have to input it all back in again like with a clearing offer
Original post by Bio,Chem,Maths
Hi ecolier

I'm currently holding two biomedicine offers, however, I do not want to biomedicine as my heart is set on medicine? I have been predicted AAA but I think I will get AAB. Which of the following offers do you think would be better for me:

1) Reject both offers and try for Medicine in clearing
2) Do biomedicine and try for GEM

As well as this would I apply for medicine in Clearing or Adjustment?

How long does it take for me to get my clearing number after I self release?

Thank you

Neither. Clearing for Medicine is unlikely to accept lower entry requirements (after all, Clearing is a deliberate ploy by med schools to look for students achieving better than expected grades). AAB may get you into Buckingham though, and they are constantly in Clearing :lol:

I don't think you should go into biomedicine with the sole aim to do graduate entry medicine unless you are really far away in terms of grades (e.g. you got grades CCC or DDD or something).

I would reject both offers and take a gap year, retake that B grade subject and reapply next year for standard undergrad medicine again. That will be your easiest, shortest and cheapest option - doing biomed now is just delaying your competition until later on in your life.

You can always try Clearing but when even people with A*s and straight As do not get in, I doubt someone with below entry requirements will (you never know though, it happened last year for Lincoln A10L!).

You should receive the Clearing number straightaway once you reject (or "self-release" ) but I do not take responsibility, it could be later than that!

Does anyone know if any GEM courses have gone into clearing, ever or might? It doesn't look like there will be any? Does it make sense to check with them at all or do most or all of them operate a waiting list? Thanks.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Puzzled11
Does anyone know if any GEM courses have gone into clearing, ever or might? It doesn't look like there will be any? Does it make sense to check with them at all or do most or all of them operate a waiting list? Thanks.

GEM won’t go into clearing
Original post by Puzzled11

As said, GEM has never been in Clearing and doesn't look like they will soon.

They do not (or very rarely) depend on A-Level / IB / Highers results. Plus, GEM is much more competitive and they operate waiting / reserve lists rather than go into Clearing (which is a deliberate choice by med schools to get (undergrad) students who performed better-than-expected). Since none / very few graduates achieve better-than-expected, there is simply no need for them to go into Clearing.

Degree holders are welcome to apply to undergraduate medicine in Clearing, and indeed if you read a few pages back - there are definitely more than a handful grads who got offers from SGUL for their 5 year course.

(edited 3 years ago)
Wait so Lincoln accepted an application below entry requirements? Was this slightly? Have any other unis been lenient on entry requirements?
Hey

It’s not cheaper to apply Buckingham this than go thru biomed route. But I guess in the long run if you’re looking at expenses you’ll make more money assuming u progress as a doctor. (Lol besides the point of being a doctor but still gotta think about these things tbf).
How many more offer holders u reckon will get the required grades . Imma assume it’s 2% ( could be higher or lower but doubt number of offer holders getting grades will decrease). Why think? Also looking at Chelmsford postcode, would it be categorised as a poor rich or medium area. Try a gauge my chances as I’m on Anglia reserve and already have AAA from last yr.
Original post by idkijwm
GEM won’t go into clearing

Thanks! That makes sense. Thank you for explaining why it is highly unlikely. I wasn't holding much hope that they would for GEM, but didn't want to give up just yet in this round. It does look like that GEM door has closed!

Onwards and upwards! Other than the funding issue, would you say that a 5 year course would be more advisable (in terms of how competitive GEM is) than attempting a second round to get into GEM for 2021? I'm inclined to, but don't know if I should wait for another very competitive year.
Does anyone know if any med courses are available through clearing?
yes, there's a thread about it here :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending