The Student Room Group

UCAT (formerly UKCAT) 2021 entry discussions megathread [Part 1 of 2]

This is an old thread. To continue the discussion head to the Part 2 discussion thread
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5544032

[scroll]Taken the test and want to share your results? Here is the UCAT 2021 results thread - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6615810[/scroll]

If you are looking for the BMAT 2021 thread it's here.

Here is the UCAT 2020 thread (discussion of tests taken in 2019)
Here is the UCAT 2019 thread (discussion of tests taken in 2018)

Important: read this first https://www.ucat.ac.uk/

Dates and fees: https://www.ucat.ac.uk/ucat/dates-and-fees/

Registration opens
Booking opens
1st July 2020
Testing begins
3rd August 2020
Last registration date
17th September 2020
Last booking date
30th September 2020
Last testing date
1st October 2020
UCAS application deadline
15 October 2020

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally all i used was medify for around 3 weeks before my exam and it worked out well
Reply 2
Hey guys,

I am going to be doing the UCAT next year. Should I start preparing from right now or leave it for now? Please let me know about your experiences. Thanks
Reply 3
Hey guys,

Do you think I should start preparing for the UCAT, which I'm going to do next year in the summer? Please talk about any experiences or anything relevant, which might help me. Thanks
I started preparing pretty early. I think you should decide yourself, but it better to prepare early.
i heard most prepare just after having done their AS exams
all u need to do is get medify 4 a month spend an hour a day the month b4 ur exam, 2hrs a day 2 weeks b4, and about 3-4 hrs exam week
Don't prepare now, just focus your time on doing well in your year 12 exams. Start preparing right after those exams.
Original post by Raja12
Hey guys,

Do you think I should start preparing for the UCAT, which I'm going to do next year in the summer? Please talk about any experiences or anything relevant, which might help me. Thanks

Start preparing now? No, please don’t- you’ll make your life miserable. Maybe start a couple of months before your test, and then more intensely for a few weeks before. I did only about 10 days of intense preparation and scored in the top 10%. Use Medify if you can afford it (it’s one of the most affordable paid resources), as is great for practice and simulation of the test appearance
probs after year 12 exams
Original post by nicole3315nicole
Start preparing now? No, please don’t- you’ll make your life miserable. Maybe start a couple of months before your test, and then more intensely for a few weeks before. I did only about 10 days of intense preparation and scored in the top 10%. Use Medify if you can afford it (it’s one of the most affordable paid resources), as is great for practice and simulation of the test appearance

What kind of things are you assessed on for the UCAT exams. My college hasn’t told us much about them yet :smile:
Reply 11
Hi guys,
Anyone here taking the UCAT test this year?
Original post by vinitha kumaran
Hi guys,
Anyone here taking the UCAT test this year?

Possibly, but I don’t know much about them tbh
Reply 13
Original post by Studyingnic1
Possibly, but I don’t know much about them tbh

Hi,
me too actually, but I think starting now would be a good idea because i don't wanna suffer during the time of the test be seeing it all for the first time!
so i just did some practice tests for each section, starting from the SJ section then moving on to AR, VR, DM and then the QR. I'm doing really bad for the QR section...it's driving me crazy!!:frown: Any help for that someone?
Reply 14
Original post by vinitha kumaran
Hi,
me too actually, but I think starting now would be a good idea because i don't wanna suffer during the time of the test be seeing it all for the first time!
so i just did some practice tests for each section, starting from the SJ section then moving on to AR, VR, DM and then the QR. I'm doing really bad for the QR section...it's driving me crazy!!:frown: Any help for that someone?

Read the 2020 and the 2019 entry UCAT threads linked in the first post of this one and there are loads of tips and advice
Reply 15
How early do you need to start prepping for the UCAT, I’ve read between 2-3/4weeks/ 6 weeks???
Apparently with 2-3 weeks it’s more about cramming and learning the technique rather then revising.

I want to get a score of around 750, I haven’t got a very high IQ but know the UCAT is a culmination of intelligence/technique/timing.

I’ve had a flick through the UCAT in a book and some sections look completely impossible.
I started prepping about 3 weeks before hand. Everyone told me I should start at least 6-8 weeks before and I didn’t listen. Moral of story: I really should have listened to them because I got a decent score but compared to rest of the country, I didn’t do well enough. It is true that some sections look impossible but they are possible to do if you’ve practiced enough, and so I’d say follow the advice I didn’t and start prepping no less than 6 weeks before hand.
Depends how intensely you intend to prepare, obviously! 6 weeks sounds fine - then if you think its going well you can stay low stress, if its a nightmare you can intensify.

750 is a very good score. Nothing wrong with aiming high I suppose though!
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous17!
I started prepping about 3 weeks before hand. Everyone told me I should start at least 6-8 weeks before and I didn’t listen. Moral of story: I really should have listened to them because I got a decent score but compared to rest of the country, I didn’t do well enough. It is true that some sections look impossible but they are possible to do if you’ve practiced enough, and so I’d say follow the advice I didn’t and start prepping no less than 6 weeks before hand.

Hi do you mind me asking what your score was and if you got in to the school ?
Original post by Koala3
Hi do you mind me asking what your score was and if you got in to the school ?

My score was 2120, which is a 530 average and a ‘good’ UCAT score is considered to be 650 average, or 2600+ overall. For 3 weeks of prep I don’t think I did too bad, could’ve done better if I’d prepared more.
And I’m actually a 2020 entry applicant so I haven’t heard anything back from my choices yet

Latest