The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abz231
Haven't done maths for a year and I have become unbelievably rusty for QR - has anyone else who took a gap year experienced this? Any advice? (apart from doing more QR practise) - I'm thinking to maybe revise some GCSE/A-level Maths?

I never did A level maths - on top of the advice above, I found writing out a big list of the equations/conversions/maths knowledge needed and then running through it to make sure I was confident at the maths I would need to do was useful. I'm also not the best at mental maths and sort of gave up and became very fast at the calculator; I know that's not typical advice, but it seemed easier than trying to learn my 13 times table :tongue:
Original post by User2127891510
Do you guys think medify will add a scratchpad to the practice questions?

I don't think they've said anything, but you could probably still practice with the notepad on your computer for a similar-ish experience?
Why would they think it was a good idea to remove whiteboards and pens 😕
You say it like it's obvious haha, it seems completely irrational to me and totally disregards the feelings of those taking the exam. Why can't the scratchpad work like Microsoft paint? Diagrams are a key technique used by those in previous years, yet we are not allowed to use them and then they have the audacity to claim that this is in the interest of parity? It is totally unfair to say to candidates that they just have to use their heads. This is obviously an exam that they want to force online, when it categorically shouldn't be, because of the amount of money they earn from it. The mere reason that they have to introduce so many of these stupid measures is emblematic of the fact it should not be online. Waiting lists and the quality of patient care are increasing and decreasing (respectively) rapidly in the NHS, yet they still want prospective med students to go through all of this just to become a doctor? How's about they increase the number of places on med courses and get rid of this time trial bogus exam we call the UCAT.
Reply 984
Original post by upsidemango14
You say it like it's obvious haha, it seems completely irrational to me and totally disregards the feelings of those taking the exam. Why can't the scratchpad work like Microsoft paint? Diagrams are a key technique used by those in previous years, yet we are not allowed to use them and then they have the audacity to claim that this is in the interest of parity? It is totally unfair to say to candidates that they just have to use their heads. This is obviously an exam that they want to force online, when it categorically shouldn't be, because of the amount of money they earn from it. The mere reason that they have to introduce so many of these stupid measures is emblematic of the fact it should not be online. Waiting lists and the quality of patient care are increasing and decreasing (respectively) rapidly in the NHS, yet they still want prospective med students to go through all of this just to become a doctor? How's about they increase the number of places on med courses and get rid of this time trial bogus exam we call the UCAT.

I don't know if you've tried drawing with a mouse but it is slower to do so, having to click down on your mouse and scrawl on a Microsoft paint type scratchpad rather than a pen and whiteboard which is probably why they've made it a typed scratchpad like Microsoft notepad. Otherwise they'd have to increase the timings of the sections.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by asclepeion
I don't know if you've tried drawing with a mouse but it is much harder and slower to do so, having to click down on your mouse and scrawl on a Microsoft paint type scratchpad rather than a pen and whiteboard which is probably why they've made it a typed scratchpad like Microsoft notepad. Otherwise they'd have to increase the timings of the sections.

Of course I have tried and yes I do know it is slower to do so. But to prevent people from even being able to do this is unfair. Apart from adding numbers up in QR, the notepad is basically useless for decision making particularly logic puzzles.
Reply 986
Of course I have tried and yes I do know it is slower to do so. But to prevent people from even being able to do this is unfair. Apart from adding numbers up in QR, the notepad is basically useless for decision making particularly logic puzzles.

True. Apparently they've decided to get rid of any questions that would require drawing (or so they say) but it just occurred to me that I draw for AR as well sometimes:cry:
UCAT have gotten rid of the pen and whiteboard for this year's exam.

How can I make notes during my test in 2020? Can I still use a noteboard and pen?

In 2020 no UCAT test takers will be able to use a white board and pen. All candidates will have access to a scratch pad (similar to notepad) built into the functionality of the test itself to ensure parity. Candidates will be able to prepare for their tests using the scratch pad which will be built into our practice materials in the next few weeks.

Will this be the same situation if you were to sit the test in the test centre, given that they were to open some?

What do you mean exactly by a scratchpad eg what will be accessible? How did u find this info out? how would you even stimulate an exp like the actual UCAT exam? Eg, how would you practise because resources like medify dont have scratxhpads right?
Reply 989
I mean they could have shipped whiteboards to every test taker's residence (if they were taking it from home). Test centres could have taken that responsibility and it doesn't take long to sanitize a whiteboard (not that we know whether sanitizing surfaces frequently is very effective). At the beginning of the test they could have made sure that the whiteboard was blank.

Totally agree. But it is what its is. Rest assured that everyone is going to have the same problem, so average scores may be lower this time, but if you get ranked into deciles it kinda cancels that out.
Original post by A_J_B
I mean they could have shipped whiteboards to every test taker's residence (if they were taking it from home). Test centres could have taken that responsibility and it doesn't take long to sanitize a whiteboard (not that we know whether sanitizing surfaces frequently is very effective). At the beginning of the test they could have made sure that the whiteboard was blank.

Totally agree. But it is what its is. Rest assured that everyone is going to have the same problem, so average scores may be lower this time, but if you get ranked into deciles it kinda cancels that out.

Where can has UCAT said theres no pen and paper etc being used? Also, what can we use to stimulate a realise life ucat exp with an online notepad?
Does anyone know if the questions in the Kaplan Score Higher Book have the same questions as Kaplan online?
Original post by thandekab
Does anyone know if the questions in the Kaplan Score Higher Book have the same questions as Kaplan online?

from personal experience - they were different
Original post by A_J_B

with the reusing whiteboard thing, that would be hard for some test centres; mine, for instance, gave me a laminated piece of paper as a whiteboard and a whiteboard pen which I had to angle correctly to get the ink to come out (such a nightmare and wasted time)

but I do see the issues with the online scratch pads... but again everyone faces the same problem so I don't think it is majorly a problem for people

(all in all, I dislike the UCAT, but anyway...)
Reply 994
Original post by Nealandmichael
Where can has UCAT said theres no pen and paper etc being used? Also, what can we use to stimulate a realise life ucat exp with an online notepad?

It's all in the UCAT FAQs: https://www.ucat.ac.uk/faqs/

In the next few weeks, UCAT will incorporate a scratch pad into their online practice tests for you to use.
It's all in the UCAT FAQs: https://www.ucat.ac.uk/faqs/

In the next few weeks, UCAT will incorporate a scratch pad into their online practice tests for you to use.

Would you say a lot of notes have to be taken throughout the test?

no
Reply 997

No one really takes notes, you don't have time.
It's more just jotting down random numbers (which you can do on the online scratchpad as it's typed, or use the MRC function on the calculator) and venn diagrams etc for DM, but they've said that this year there shouldn't be any need to draw any diagrams or anything

You don’t really need to take notes, but I found it useful to jot down numbers and draw diagrams (especially for QR and DM) If you don’t need to draw diagrams this year, it probably won’t be a massive problem not having the whiteboards (at least, it wouldn’t have been for me).

Original post by becausethenight
You don’t really need to take notes, but I found it useful to jot down numbers and draw diagrams (especially for QR and DM) If you don’t need to draw diagrams this year, it probably won’t be a massive problem not having the whiteboards (at least, it wouldn’t have been for me).

have you taken the ucat? If so, what percentage of the exam would you say required note taking?

Latest

Trending

Trending