OkieGee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hello I am of French nationality and have been living in the UK since 2011 to 2018 but took a one year gap year in south east asia. Due to brexit i have had to apply for uk settlement but they required 10 documents but I'm struggling to get enough since I'm still a student who never paid bills! What should i do? ((
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by OkieGee)
Hello I am of French nationality and have been living in the UK since 2011 to 2018 but took a one year gap year in south east asia. Due to brexit i have had to apply for uk settlement but they required 10 documents but I'm struggling to get enough since I'm still a student who never paid bills! What should i do? ((
I’d suggest you reach out to the Home Office for clarification.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by OkieGee)
Its a shame you didnt ask before you took your gap.
Dont bother with the HO, they wont help you and can't anyway.
To get student funding you need 3 years residence in the EU or considering your situation 5 years in the UK.
Before you left you were in prime position to be treated like a UK citizen and be awarded not just fees at home rate, but a maintenance grant.

You are going to have to look for evidence which shows your year was only temporary, that you regarded the UK as your home because your family were here? That you always intended to return (maybe because you had the return plane ticket or it was a limited visa). The other way is to show documentation that you have kept in contact with the UK and regarded it as home even when on a gap. Up to you to convince them your absence was temporary or you will lose your 5 years residence and have to start again. If you had asked it could have been avoided.

You can talk to UKcisa.
Student Advice Line on +4420 7788 9214 between 1pm and 4pm (UK time) between Monday and Friday, except for public holidays.
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Informatio...tus#layer-6082

You potentially have a serious issue if you plan to try and attend a UK uni. It would be the same for a UK citizen in they did not have sufficient proof as described above. The gap year may cost you if you cannot prove you were to return. Talk to the advice line and I expect they will go through ordinary residence with you.
OkieGee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Its a shame you didnt ask before you took your gap.
Dont bother with the HO, they wont help you and can't anyway.
To get student funding you need 3 years residence in the EU or considering your situation 5 years in the UK.
Before you left you were in prime position to be treated like a UK citizen and be awarded not just fees at home rate, but a maintenance grant.

You are going to have to look for evidence which shows your year was only temporary, that you regarded the UK as your home because your family were here? That you always intended to return (maybe because you had the return plane ticket or it was a limited visa). The other way is to show documentation that you have kept in contact with the UK and regarded it as home even when on a gap. Up to you to convince them your absence was temporary or you will lose your 5 years residence and have to start again. If you had asked it could have been avoided.

You can talk to UKcisa.
Student Advice Line on +4420 7788 9214 between 1pm and 4pm (UK time) between Monday and Friday, except for public holidays.
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Informatio...tus#layer-6082

You potentially have a serious issue if you plan to try and attend a UK uni. It would be the same for a UK citizen in they did not have sufficient proof as described above. The gap year may cost you if you cannot prove you were to return. Talk to the advice line and I expect they will go through ordinary residence with you.
Thank you so much for this! 😭 I really hope my 9 years in England have not been wasted since I intend to live here my whole life anyway. I have gcse, a-level results as proof and my driving license. Also bank statements are those enough do you reckon?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (565)
34.2%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (680)
41.16%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.1%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise