MrNobody579
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am stressing so hard over what i should use to revise! This is because i joined my school in year 10, which means i missed many of the beginning parts of the syllabus. I have notes for some stuff but not all. I have a textbook given by school, which is very good but i won't be able to revise from it for my mocks because it will be too much. Is using the CGP revision guide + practice papers sufficient for a 9? I usually make my own notes and flashcards but have no time. I am strict on time so need to be sure if what i'm using is enough.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MrNobody579)
I am stressing so hard over what i should use to revise! This is because i joined my school in year 10, which means i missed many of the beginning parts of the syllabus. I have notes for some stuff but not all. I have a textbook given by school, which is very good but i won't be able to revise from it for my mocks because it will be too much. Is using the CGP revision guide + practice papers sufficient for a 9? I usually make my own notes and flashcards but have no time. I am strict on time so need to be sure if what i'm using is enough.
what subjects? they are inferior to the exam-board approved textbook, and the amount they are inferior depends on the nature of the A level
MrNobody579
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
what subjects? they are inferior to the exam-board approved textbook, and the amount they are inferior depends on the nature of the A level
I'm doing IGCSEs. Subjects like Chemistry, Physics.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing IGCSEs. Subjects like Chemistry, Physics.
ah apologies didnt properly read your post to notice you're doing GCSEs.

from my experience, textbooks that seem 'too much' actually make for less work overall because they facilitate genuine understanding of the subject, i would put pressure on yourself to use them tbh.
elliotdada
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Try this

http://www.toplevels.co.uk/gcse-aqa-chemistry/

http://www.toplevels.co.uk/gcse-aqa-physics/
MrNobody579
Rep:
?
I'm doing igcse
MrNobody579
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
ah apologies didnt properly read your post to notice you're doing GCSEs.

from my experience, textbooks that seem 'too much' actually make for less work overall because they facilitate genuine understanding of the subject, i would put pressure on yourself to use them tbh.
I have 14 days until mocks, i won't have the time to go through whole textbooks
casabonita
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i rate the cgp books so much (for gcses at least). tells you all the information you need to know - extra stuff tends to be kinda useless especially if you dont have enough time!
i used seneca mostly, cgp books for more in depth ideas (like 6 marker stuff), then used the cgp workbooks that had loads of practice exam questions in. closer to the real exams, i did past papers.
i got 10 9s and an 8, (the 8 being a subject that i did not use the above ^ method for) - so ignore people who say that the cgp books dont have enough info to get a 9! the textbooks, although useful, have far too much information to revise from, so i'd prioritise learning all the knowledge as quick as you can for mocks, rather than learning it in such depth. good luck!
MrNobody579
Rep:
?
T

(Original post by casabonita)
i rate the cgp books so much (for gcses at least). tells you all the information you need to know - extra stuff tends to be kinda useless especially if you dont have enough time!
i used seneca mostly, cgp books for more in depth ideas (like 6 marker stuff), then used the cgp workbooks that had loads of practice exam questions in. closer to the real exams, i did past papers.
i got 10 9s and an 8, (the 8 being a subject that i did not use the above ^ method for) - so ignore people who say that the cgp books dont have enough info to get a 9! the textbooks, although useful, have far too much information to revise from, so i'd prioritise learning all the knowledge as quick as you can for mocks, rather than learning it in such depth. good luck!
Thank you! I will surely follow this process.
So should i do this?
-First go through the topic on seneca
-Secondly go through the topic in the CGP book
-Then use CGP workbooks
Please let me know if thus is enough for 9s! Again, thank you
casabonita
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
T

Thank you! I will surely follow this process.
So should i do this?
-First go through the topic on seneca
-Secondly go through the topic in the CGP book
-Then use CGP workbooks
Please let me know if thus is enough for 9s! Again, thank you
that's exactly what i did! i'd go through it on seneca to get all the basic knowledge, read a bit of the cgp books, then test myself with the workbooks.
this probably works best for the sciences though - subjects like english lit may need a diff technique (i liked to write out plans for possible questions i could get, and same with history)
it helped me get 9s, but of course everyone learns/works differently so try it, and if you feel like it's not working, switch the method up a bit Good luck!
Amber1874
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve purchased a revision book for each subject, went up minimum 1 grade per subject. CGP books are great but I’d recommend Collins a lot too if you can’t get into CGP or Pearson’s books.
MrNobody579
Rep:
?
(Original post by casabonita)
that's exactly what i did! i'd go through it on seneca to get all the basic knowledge, read a bit of the cgp books, then test myself with the workbooks.
this probably works best for the sciences though - subjects like english lit may need a diff technique (i liked to write out plans for possible questions i could get, and same with history)
it helped me get 9s, but of course everyone learns/works differently so try it, and if you feel like it's not working, switch the method up a bit Good luck!
Thank you! Will do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (41)
18.47%
No one else does (73)
32.88%
I'm embarrassed about my background (22)
9.91%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (74)
33.33%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.35%
I don't have a camera (4)
1.8%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.25%

Watched Threads