The Student Room Group
supersam7
I would have thought you'd give them your bank details after you get the job..

However my friend had his interview Monday, and he had to give his details at the interview, before he even knew he had the job?:confused:

Burn.
Reply 2
depends on the job?
but personally I've only ever given my bank details on the day of the interview to temp agencies or once to a casual crappy job (they took everyone! lol)
Nothing wrong with that. They could ask you to bring the details along and then set ask for you to hand them over if they like you, perfectly normal.
Reply 4
supersam7
I would have thought you'd give them your bank details after you get the job..

However my friend had his interview Monday, and he had to give his details at the interview, before he even knew he had the job?:confused:

same

I had an interview last monday, and they asked for my NI number, bank details, and passport....they set out the contract etc, just in case they do hire you...i guess it depends on how immediately they need you..

Found out today that I didnt get the job...lol...ah well
Reply 5
Perhaps they already knew they'd be giving him a job. Thats what they did with my part-time job.
Reply 6
After the interview i've always been told whether i got the job and asked for my bank details/passport/national insurance number
Reply 7
ok thanks.

i was just a bit worried for my mate, if he didnt get the job then they have his bank details, couldn't they buy stuff using his account? (obviously we hope they don't lol, we're probably worrying too much!)
Reply 8
Not much they can do with his bank details apart from pay money in.

I give mine out all the time on ebay so people can pay me by bank transfer. And the same information is on every cheque you write (if you have a cheque book).

Tom
Reply 9
tomgraham17
Not much they can do with his bank details apart from pay money in.

I give mine out all the time on ebay so people can pay me by bank transfer. And the same information is on every cheque you write (if you have a cheque book).

Tom

oh right, i thought people could buy stuff from your account if they had your card details..
That might be possible if they had your debit/credit card details but not your sort code and account number.

Tom
Reply 11
So sort code and account number AREN'T credit card details?
Not uncommon, sometimes its just so the employer can get you into the position ASAP if neccessary, its like them taking your uniform sizes during the interview, just speeds it up if you are successful.
supersam7

No, you know that long number on the front of all cards? You put that, the expiry date, issue date and ocassionally the security number that is on the back.

There is no way they can buy stuff on the net with the details he's given them.

It'll be fine, where did he apply for a job I'm sure if it's a well known company they won't do it.
supersam7

No, you don't need to have a credit card to have a bank account. The sort code relates to the bank you're with (ish) and the account number is specific to the account you have with that bank. They simply identify your account. You can't do anything with account details like that without proving your identity further (i.e. in branch if you lose a card you can go in with ID and the numbers of your account to take money out/request a new card etc.) Your card number (be it debit or credit) is a string of 16 digits that relate (along with your security number and expirery date) to the card you hold - you shouldn't give details of payment cards unless you're purchasing something.
Reply 15
supersam7
ok thanks.

i was just a bit worried for my mate, if he didnt get the job then they have his bank details, couldn't they buy stuff using his account?

Yes account code/sort code + signature is enough to fake cheques, standing orders, etc.
There is a risk of fraud with any banking. But you need to keep it in perspective. As long as you can distinguish between a legitimate company and some shabby gumtreee (for example) scam then the risks associated with giving out your sort code and account number are minimal.

As long as you routinely check through your monthly statements there is nothing to worry about. All UK bank accounts are protected against monetary loss through fraud, so there is nothing to lose really.

Tom
Reply 17
ah thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending