Where are they?
PatriciaBright
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Kutie Karen)
Where are they?
Do you wonder that she felt sure she had not come back to earth? This is what she did see. In the range there was a little brass kettle hissing and boiling; spread upon the floor was a thick warm crimson rug; before the fire a folding chair, unfolded, and with cushions on it; by the chair a small folding table, unfolded covered with a white cloth, and upon it spread small covered dishes, a cup, a saucer, a teapot; on the bed were new warm coverings and a satin-covered down quilt.
PatriciaBright
Rep:
?
can i have a quick response pls
meminisse19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Wonder, felt, had not come back, did see, was, hissing, boiling, was, were. Apologies if this comes across as rude but haven’t you already learnt what a verb is?
PatriciaBright
Rep:
?
(Original post by meminisse19)
Wonder, felt, had not come back, did see, was, hissing, boiling, was, were. Apologies if this comes across as rude but haven’t you already learnt what a verb is?
I did. But I'm 100 years old now and i have forgotten everything. Even the names of my grandchildren. thank you ever so much
PatriciaBright
Rep:
?
had not come back and did see? it says words only. so they're all verbs?
meminisse19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
‘Come back’ functions as a verb phrase, despite being made up of two words. There are a lot of verb phrases like that in English which are treated as one verb.

‘Had’ indicates the pluperfect tense which has a compound construction (i.e. this particular tense is also made up of multiple words). So, you have ‘had’ (indicates tense), ‘not’ (indicates negative), and ‘come back’ (actual action, but made up of two words).

All of that in total is the verbal phrase. To cut it up or separate it would be to take away from it’s meaning. It needs to be kept together as a single unit.

‘Did see’: it’s just a stylistic choice to use the verb ‘do’ to emphasise the following verb, ‘see’. However, again, they function as a unit and need to remain together to retain the original meaning
PatriciaBright
Rep:
?
‘Come back’ functions as a verb phrase, despite being made up of two words. There are a lot of verb phrases like that in English which are treated as one verb.

‘Had’ indicates the pluperfect tense which has a compound construction (i.e. this particular tense is also made up of multiple words). So, you have ‘had’ (indicates tense), ‘not’ (indicates negative), and ‘come back’ (actual action, but made up of two words).

All of that in total is the verbal phrase. To cut it up or separate it would be to take away from it’s meaning. It needs to be kept together as a single unit.

‘Did see’: it’s just a stylistic choice to use the verb ‘do’ to emphasise the following verb, ‘see’. However, again, they function as a unit and need to remain together to retain the original meaning
thanks. what is the predicate of this sentence? "The dog ran away with the sausages". I know the subject is the dog and the verb is ran but whats the predicate?
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by PatriciaBright)
thanks. what is the predicate of this sentence? "The dog ran away with the sausages". I know the subject is the dog and the verb is ran but whats the predicate?
in grammar, the part of a sentence that contains the verb and gives information about the subject

In here, it is, "ran away with the sausages"
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-gramm...n/subjpred.htm
PatriciaBright
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
in grammar, the part of a sentence that contains the verb and gives information about the subject

In here, it is, "ran away with the sausages"
oh okay so where's the verb
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
oh okay so where's the verb
"Ran". You just said so, lol
PatriciaBright
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
"Ran". You just said so, lol
oh thought i was wrong. thank u.
username5021692
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I count 20 verbs
PatriciaBright
Rep:
?
(Original post by aciana)
I count 20 verbs
so there's more than what the other user said?
username5021692
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I counted again, I got 16. What verbs have you got so far then?
PatriciaBright
Rep:
?
(Original post by aciana)
I counted again, I got 16. What verbs have you got so far then?
Wonder, felt, had not come back, did see, was, hissing, boiling, was, were
username5021692
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Wonder, felt, had not come back, did see, was, hissing, boiling, was, were
I also counted "unfolded" and "uncovered" as passive verbs, and "do" as an auxillary verb. But am probably wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads