Impossible

Watch
lmpossible
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is there anything in life that is impossible?
username4966870
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Flying
Em.-.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous__02)
Flying
Not necessarily. Just because we haven’t yet found the means to do so, doesn’t mean we won’t find a way in the future.
Em.-.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Arguably no. While some things haven’t yet been achieved with our current knowledge we can’t be certain these things aren’t possible somehow. The weakness of humanity is that we cannot truly comprehend things we haven’t perceived in some way. However It could be argued it is either impossible for something to be impossible, or if not, maybe there is something that is in fact impossible, we can’t determine that with full certainty.
Last edited by Em.-.; 1 year ago
lmpossible
Rep:
?
(Original post by Em.-.)
Arguably no. While some things haven’t yet been achieved with our current knowledge we can’t be certain these things aren’t possible somehow. The weakness of humanity is that we cannot truly comprehend things we haven’t perceived in some way. However It could be argued it is either impossible for something to be impossible, or if not, maybe there is something that is in fact impossible, we can’t determine that with full certainty.
The existence of possible implies impossible. Impossible assumes reliability and dependence. However, a thing of greater power than us exceeds our boundaries, therefore, impossible for mankind is not truly impossible.
lmpossible
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous__02)
Flying
Flying is definitely impossible. It will always be impossible to someone. For example, it is impossible for dead people to fly. However, it is not hard that the impossible is made possible by one who is not restricted by such boundaries that mankind is restricted by.
Em.-.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lmpossible)
Flying is definitely impossible. It will always be impossible to someone. For example, it is impossible for dead people to fly. However, it is not hard that the impossible is made possible by one who is not restricted by such boundaries that mankind is restricted by.
But this is inductive reasoning. Just because something hasn’t been possible so far, there’s no saying with 100% certainty that it couldn’t suddenly be possible tomorrow. What if a dead person suddenly just flew, sure you could argue they’re not consciously making the decision to do so, but then this would call for us to define flying as consciously opting to fly in order to make your statement correct. It’s true that it would be impossible for a dead person to not have died (as in order to be dead, by definition, one’s life must have ended) as even with some sort of time-travel interference which stopped this person from dying, they would then no longer be dead. You could also go into that “I think, therefore I am” stuff that questions reality and whether we are being deceived into believing false things. Philosophy is just a lot. 😬 I’m sorry for this, it probably makes no sense. It’s late and Christmas and I’ve had a stressful day.
4D Chess
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
finding anything useful on the second page of google
Mrepic Foulger
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As a classical agnostic, I don't think we can know what is possible or impossible.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Impossibility is impossible
Charlie101998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if we are to believe that our universe is truly infinite, than all probabilities no matter how remote become certainties.However, if every probability becomes a certainty, that the probability of something being impossible also becomes a certainty, creating a paradox.
Last edited by Charlie101998; 1 year ago
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lmpossible)
Is there anything in life that is impossible?
Immortality
Mrepic Foulger
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Charlie101998)
if we are to believe that our universe is truly infinite, than all probabilities no matter how remote become certainties.
Yes, so the questions is, is there anything with 0 probability.
Charlie101998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mrepic Foulger)
Yes, so the questions is, is there anything with 0 probability.
I edited my previous post to rectify this, there is nothing with a probability of zero, which means something being impossible is certain to exist.
21ForEva
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Immortality
username4499734
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Reading a textbook without zoning out 😍😍
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by OR321)
Reading a textbook without zoning out 😍😍
😂😂 totally agree with you there
username4952620
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To read people’s mind
To fly
rockhead08
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Going to every lecture
Last edited by rockhead08; 1 year ago
lmpossible
Rep:
?
(Original post by Em.-.)
But this is inductive reasoning. Just because something hasn’t been possible so far, there’s no saying with 100% certainty that it couldn’t suddenly be possible tomorrow. What if a dead person suddenly just flew, sure you could argue they’re not consciously making the decision to do so, but then this would call for us to define flying as consciously opting to fly in order to make your statement correct. It’s true that it would be impossible for a dead person to not have died (as in order to be dead, by definition, one’s life must have ended) as even with some sort of time-travel interference which stopped this person from dying, they would then no longer be dead. You could also go into that “I think, therefore I am” stuff that questions reality and whether we are being deceived into believing false things. Philosophy is just a lot. 😬 I’m sorry for this, it probably makes no sense. It’s late and Christmas and I’ve had a stressful day.
No way am I reading all of this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (30)
36.59%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (9)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (4)
4.88%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (23)
28.05%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (10)
12.2%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (6)
7.32%

Watched Threads