The Student Room Group

Resit A levels

So I completed my A levels in June and came out with a B in physics a C in maths and a C in chemistry. Now around Jan time I want to resit and I don’t know wether I should do one subject or two. I won’t be retaking 3 because I feel like I just don’t have the time to prepare. Any advice would help.
Original post by MWM2000
So I completed my A levels in June and came out with a B in physics a C in maths and a C in chemistry. Now around Jan time I want to resit and I don’t know wether I should do one subject or two. I won’t be retaking 3 because I feel like I just don’t have the time to prepare. Any advice would help.

Why do you want to resit?
Are resits even available in January? I thought they can't be for the linear spec (which presumably you did)? Presumably, you want to resit to increase your grades for university admission? If it's not possible to resit them in January - of which is kind of risky considering the limited time to prepare as you pointed out - sitting them in June may be a good idea?

Although to answer your question, I'd say start grinding now.

For Maths:
1) learn a specific topic from examsolutions/YouTube and do questions from examsolutions
2) complete all exercises in the textbook

Same for Chemistry etc but some more suitable recommendations:
1) ChemSheets for Chemistry
2) physicsandmathstutor worksheets
3) past papers
Reply 3
Original post by The-judge-16
Why do you want to resit?

To possibly get into a better university like Liverpool maybe?
Reply 4
Original post by thekidwhogames
Are resits even available in January? I thought they can't be for the linear spec (which presumably you did)? Presumably, you want to resit to increase your grades for university admission? If it's not possible to resit them in January - of which is kind of risky considering the limited time to prepare as you pointed out - sitting them in June may be a good idea?

Although to answer your question, I'd say start grinding now.

For Maths:
1) learn a specific topic from examsolutions/YouTube and do questions from examsolutions
2) complete all exercises in the textbook

Same for Chemistry etc but some more suitable recommendations:
1) ChemSheets for Chemistry
2) physicsandmathstutor worksheets
3) past papers

I’m doing the retakes in June and I know I can do 7 hrs a day until exam day but I’m just not sure if I should just retake one and possibly get an A or an A* in it or risk doing both and not being able to understand all the topics and do all the past papers in that time
Original post by MWM2000
To possibly get into a better university like Liverpool maybe?

Ok, the best advice I could give you would be to resit maths and chemistry to try to aim to get a B in both of them. Most decent universities will accept BBB. What do you want to do at university?
Reply 6
Ok, the best advice I could give you would be to resit maths and chemistry to try to aim to get a B in both of them. Most decent universities will accept BBB. What do you want to do at university

Engineering but I was just thinking what if I just retake one and get an A. Isn’t that the same as BBB
Original post by MWM2000
Engineering but I was just thinking what if I just retake one and get an A. Isn’t that the same as BBB

Yeah, I would say retake maths for engineering as maths is the most desirable for engineering to be honest. Good luck with everything though.
Reply 8
Yeah, I would say retake maths for engineering as maths is the most desirable for engineering to be honest. Good luck with everything though.

To be honest I never really liked chemistry anyways. But in the exam 1st paper I knew everything on the paper and filled it out completely but I lost so many marks in exam technique but in maths there is no exam technique involved. I feel like it’ll take much longer to learn exam techniques
Reply 9

Any tips for an A or an A* in A level maths?
Original post by MWM2000
Any tips for an A or an A* in A level maths?

Keep doing lots and lots of past papers, with maths all it takes is constant practice to do really well, you can’t really memorise things for mathematics at a level. At GCSE I suppose you can memorise some equations without fully understanding them but for a level you can’t really do that. What exam board are you doing?
Reply 11
Keep doing lots and lots of past papers, with maths all it takes is constant practice to do really well, you can’t really memorise things for mathematics at a level. At GCSE I suppose you can memorise some equations without fully understanding them but for a level you can’t really do that. What exam board are you doing?

Edexcel exam board. This years paper, I could do some of the hard questions but I lost marks in the easy ones. Because I thought I’ll remember them. Is 5 months enough time to get an A in maths from a C?
Original post by MWM2000
Edexcel exam board. This years paper, I could do some of the hard questions but I lost marks in the easy ones. Because I thought I’ll remember them. Is 5 months enough time to get an A in maths from a C?

Most definitely, honestly just try your absolute best. If you do around 3-5 hours of revision a day you could definitely get an A in maths.
Reply 13
Most definitely, honestly just try your absolute best. If you do around 3-5 hours of revision a day you could definitely get an A in maths.

Thankyou very much I just hope I make it. I don’t want to be a failure. Sometimes I cry at night because there is doubt in my mind that I can’t do it
Original post by MWM2000
Thankyou very much I just hope I make it. I don’t want to be a failure. Sometimes I cry at night because there is doubt in my mind that I can’t do it

You are not a failure! To be on a C at the moment already shows that you are someone who is certainly on the right path to success, and the fact that you care so much about your education is a very positive factor for academic success. Good luck with everything, what other a levels are you doing by the way?
Reply 15
You are not a failure! To be on a C at the moment already shows that you are someone who is certainly on the right path to success, and the fact that you care so much about your education is a very positive factor for academic success. Good luck with everything, what other a levels are you doing by the way?

Just Maths in 5 months I feel like I don’t have enough time to understand all of math at an A or A* level if also retake chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest